Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Today April 11 is the 118th US Submarine Force Birthday-OT

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
As I am no longer running submerged and undetected I will raise a glass (and more).  
Submarines once...
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I raise a glass to you Cap. Thank you for your service.

On another note, I once had an opportunity to tour a Submarine, beyond incredible. I only wish camera's were allowed on the tour, sadly all I have are memories.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Happy Birthday!

Who has the oldest submarine service - ours or the Brits or Germans?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    A fellow Brother of the Phin is sending me a pair of these he Hydro dipped.

Submarines twice...

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Cheers Bubblehead
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    @HeavyG - As with most things that go back in time, probably the best case could be made for Germany but the colonials tried to torpedo a British ship of war in the Revolutionary War.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited April 2018
    Congrats And Happy Birthday from the Army side of the Armed Forces.   I talked to Casey Kasem’s spirit and am sending you, @CTMike and all other bubbleheads this long distance dedication....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCiDEXuxxA
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Thank you Frank. A great anniversary that keeps our country safe. That is a difficult post to serve, and we are fortunate because you did so.
    Happy anniversary. We will raise a glass tonight to you and all others who have served submerged, and undetected.
    The world is a better place.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited April 2018

Happy Birthday to the program and a big thank you for the many sacrifices made.

I'll be spending my evening working on the maintenance of Rickover's achievements.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Cheers Frank!  Appreciate everyone’s service.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for your service Captain!!
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • thetrim
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    @thetrim - many thanks for left-handed toasts from good 'ol Don Ho and the boys from Britain.  Regarding the above, I like to think that the selection criteria (self excepted) was more stringent for the #3 on the list  =).  
  • thetrim
    @lousubcap hey bud, I like to give the Navy lots of crap, but when the stuff really hits the fan, there is nothing quite like a few party favors sent via our friends under the water or high in the sky that make the infantry smile.   

Many thanks for your decades of service.  

For the record, I’m still pi$$ed that we won’t be able to break bread and break the seal on some some Four Roses small batch at Dan Nichols Park in eight and a butt days!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    @thetrim - You guys are up close and personal, the proximity of combat.    That alone is the greatest differentiator out there.  

I am sure you will have such good fun at BB that you will be there next year.  And with that I will let you bring a bottle of brown water that will be my contribution after the outcome this December.  
    Probably easier than walking you thru how to send juice across state-lines w/o getting busted  ;)
  • thetrim

Didn’t quite get the screenshot just right but this is what Gene Hackman says to Denzel Washington as they’re on the top of the USS Alabama enjoying their last few lungs full of unpolluted air before going under the surface for 65 days.  I wish I had them in the picture too.  I couldn’t help but laugh thinking @lousubcap and/or @CTMike wrote those lines themselves!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    My wife and I visited Hawaii for or 10th wedding anniversary years ago. We made it a point to visit the Pearl Harbor memorial and the Arizona. While we were there we discovered the USS Bowfin and the submarine memorial. I was amazed at how cramped submarines are (at least the Bowfin) and how big torpedoes are. The thing that was most sobering however was the memorial itself. Just seeing a granite stone stating the last known location and the number of souls lost was extremely unsettling to me - stone after stone after stone. I will say I was touched more by this memorial than the Arizona - or more disturbed - I don’t know how to phrase it. Anyway, I came away with an entirely new respect and admiration for those that serve on submarines. 
    Frank, to you and others here that served, thank you for your sacrifice and service to our nation. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Once a submariner always a submariner - there are somethings you can just never give up, like being an A’s fan. Will send a toast of well done from the GWN.
    A proud service 118 years old, some events going on at Kitsap, had no idea it was an anniversary. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    Thanks @Skiddymarker - my last ride was out of Bangor, WA.  
    Now for the A's.  If nothing else they are making Othani look very, very good.  Must have been the long range plan by the Halo's.  
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Hey Captain...one of our Comrades cane down for a visit recently after 34 years.   I guess the food must have made an impression cause now he’s a member of another elite group.  He just sent me a pic of his latest acquisition.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    Way to bring it home.  Good that he saw the light in the cold light of day after tossing golf balls around the course.  
  • thetrim
    Chief of the watch, float the buoy.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    edited April 2018
    @thetrim- even I had forgotten that...who's pimping you?  ;)
  • thetrim
    Passing 1,500 feet at 1,850 it’s all over. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Barnes, please get the F out!   Seal that bay!  Seal that G.D. bay!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    1,800 feet. Approaching hull crush depth sir. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    @lousubcap started with the first line, and @SSQUAL612 piped up with the second line. 

Here is the complete song of my people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqMJdi8zqA

Yesterday was the anniversary of the loss of the USS Thresher, a fact that still hits home in many households in the surrounding area.

For any military history buffs, read Blind Mans Bluff - an outstanding book documenting the role of US Submarine during the Cold War. Great read. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    You don’t put on a condom unless you’re gonna f@€¥
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95