Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT sammich

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
no eggs were lit, but it still turned out good :)

Baked a 25% WW with flax seeds and grapefruit sourdough loaf this morning. 

Whipped up some garlic and Thai chile mayo. 

Broke out some homemade mortadella from our recent hog adventures, and ended up with this:

It didn’t suck. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Awesome, sandwiches are under rated. That second picture confused me for a minute, thought something was upside down
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That's a nice sammich. I'm glad it wasn't made with that newfangled domesticated yeast stuff. That would have negated the awesomeness of the homemade mortadella. Kudos as well on the ramped up mayo.  
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks wonderful!

Mortadella is a mystery to me.  I really don't like bologna much at all, but once in a while I LOVE mortadella.  But they're practically the same thing!  I don't understand why one of them seems sort of rich and luscious to me, but the other one just isn't worth eating.  My guess has always been that maybe there's a lot more fat in mortadella (in addition to the obvious globs of fat).  The flavor is really similar, but somehow mortadella is just sort of luscious.  Your home-made mortadella looks really different than the stuff I've gotten in NYC delis, years ago, but it looks wonderful!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    @caliking, that looks fantastic, and certainly does the mortadella justice.

Theophan said:
    Mortadella is a mystery to me.  I really don't like bologna much at all, but once in a while I LOVE mortadella.  But they're practically the same thing!  I don't understand why one of them seems sort of rich and luscious to me, but the other one just isn't worth eating.  ...
    A modest variation in spices can make a huge difference. You are correct, mortadella and bologna are closely related, but the spicing is a bit different in mortadella (at least in the one we made).

Theophan said:
    Your home-made mortadella looks really different than the stuff I've gotten in NYC delis, years ago, but it looks wonderful!
    Three possible differences:
    1. Recipe may be different.  While all mortadella has blocks of blanched back fat, the other ingredients vary from recipe to recipe.  This one has pistachios and black pepper corns (both pretty typical).  Some other folks use olives in theirs
    2. Quality of pig.  This was made from our super-fancy heritage hogs, and the meat is much darker than a commodity hog
    3. Failure of equipment - This sausage is supposed to be emulsified, so that the texture is uniform (save for the fat blocks, pistachios and pepper).  However, our food processor was not up to the task, so it is very well mixed, but not fully emulsified.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Nice Sammich
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I did pimiento cheese sammiches for Sunday’s Masters round.  Even wore my green jacket.  

Your sandwich was probably better.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Holy crapo! secret ingredient red boat?
    canuckland
  • caliking
    @SaltySam I’ve taken a recent liking to pimiento cheese. Love it on burgers, in omelets, and grilled pimiento cheese sammiches. 

Got this at Costco. It’s pretty good IMO. 

• caliking

Holy crapo! secret ingredient red boat?
    Why didn’t I think of that?? It was an innocent bystander as I took the pic. I totally should have added a splash to the mayo.

Thanks for the idea, Gary!

• caliking
    edited April 2018
    @SciAggie I felt like I had to redeem myself :)

• caliking
    @20stone this was easily the best mort I’ve had.

Flavor and mouthfeel were both great. I’m ok with the only partially emulsified texture. Tastes more meaty. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I’d crush that right about now!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

That was way better than what I had for dinner. I would inhale that, I am a big Sammie guy, thanks for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    YukonRon said:

That was way better than what I had for dinner. I would inhale that, I am a big Sammie guy, thanks for sharing.
    I hear ya.

Breakfast is my #1 favorite meal, but a good sammich is always a top contender. I would rather have a decent sammich on my homemade bread, than almost anything that is dished up at work most days. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    20stone said:
    A modest variation in spices can make a huge difference. You are correct, mortadella and bologna are closely related, but the spicing is a bit different in mortadella (at least in the one we made). ... This one has pistachios and black pepper corns (both pretty typical).  Some other folks use olives in theirs...
    Interesting!  I think every mortadella I've had had pistachios in it, and often black pepper.  Never seen olives.  I mean, I've seen olive loaf, and like it, but I've never seen olives in something that was called mortadella.  I don't eat a lot of that kind of deli meat, but have long been puzzled about why I like mortadella more than most other seemingly similar lunch meats.  And about why Boar's Head is WAY less good than the mortadella I've had in NYC delis.  Again, I've suspected that it's that Boar's Head tries to be healthier, and maybe it has less fat in it.  Dunno.  I just know that it's OK, better than bologna, but nowhere near as good as I've had in delis.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    caliking said:
    @SaltySam I’ve taken a recent liking to pimiento cheese. Love it on burgers, in omelets, and grilled pimiento cheese sammiches. 

Grate extra sharp cheddar, dukes mayo and black pepper. Really quite easy to make your own. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking said:

Grate extra sharp cheddar, dukes mayo and black pepper. Really quite easy to make your own. 
    I have all of those, so reason enough to start playing around with it. It’s on the list now. Thanks. 

• 20stone
    northGAcock said:
    Better to make your own mayo (which I know you will). Hatch chilis go in nicely as well. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    northGAcock said:
    Better to make your own mayo (which I know you will). Hatch chilis go in nicely as well. 
    Already have the Thai chile and garlic mayo, so this will happen. 

• 20stone

Theophan said:
    I think every mortadella I've had had pistachios in it, and often black pepper.  Never seen olives.  I mean, I've seen olive loaf, and like it, but I've never seen olives in something that was called mortadella.
    Olive loaf is a variety of mortadella, as it turns out.

Theophan said:
    20stone said:
    A modest variation in spices can make a huge difference. You are correct, mortadella and bologna are closely related, but the spicing is a bit different in mortadella (at least in the one we made). ... This one has pistachios and black pepper corns (both pretty typical).  Some other folks use olives in theirs...
    ...  And about why Boar's Head is WAY less good than the mortadella I've had in NYC delis.  Again, I've suspected that it's that Boar's Head tries to be healthier, and maybe it has less fat in it.  Dunno. ....
    Boars Head was the good stuff when I was growing up, but it just isn’t at the same standard.  FWIW, if you make your own sausage, it wasn’t that hard to do.  I am stoked to do it again. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I just tried to take  bite out of my computer screen.  DaYum!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    Thanks for the nudge (again). 

Sharp cheddar, the homemade mayo, and red onions.

Toasted up some of that bread. And now another thing I’m not buying from the store. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    northGAcock said:
    Already have the Thai chile and garlic mayo, so this will happen. 
    Everything’s better with bacon
    Greensboro, NC