Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huli Huli chicken

did some Huli Huli chicken tonight for dinner. Smoked with a little nectarine wood. Happy Easter!
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• Looks good. Did you use a homemade sauce? 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Looks good. Did you use a homemade sauce? 
    Yep. Sure do. I use the recipe from amazingribs.com
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Looks great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Yum.  Great looking skin on that.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Skrullb
    20stone said:
    Yum.  Great looking skin on that.
    Thank you. I went raised direct on the AR and cooked at about 350. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Nice color, looks great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Great looking plate. Nice job. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks fantastic!  I grabbed the recipe -- will have to try it!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Totally drool worthy meal, thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    We buy the Huli Marinade at World Market
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Skrullb
    xfire_ATX said:
    We buy the Huli Marinade at World Market
    It’s a lot of ingredients but I enjoy making it. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Great looking plate! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Making it now from meatheads recipe. Was just laughing about how many ingredients. Hope
    mine tastes like yours looks. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2018
    That is tasty! Thanks for posting. Fun cook. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That is tasty! Thanks for posting. Fun cool. 
    Didn’t happen....
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skrullb
    That is tasty! Thanks for posting. Fun cook. 
    Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Thanks for the share. I'm always looking for a new chicken marinade/baste.

When I'm on an island and the locals are grilling their chicken, it always smells so good. I never seem to be able to repeat it.  Doesn't matter the island... there is always some great grilled chicken smells to be found around weekend family cooks.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    So I went home at lunch, bought the few ingredients I didn't have on hand, and needless to say there is now a chicken in my fridge bathing in marinade waiting to be grilled.  =) Every once in a while one of you guys posts a cook that I have to make that day...   ;)

350 raised direct seemed to work good for you. The amazingribs recipe mentions setting up for a two zone cook and all.

How long did it take?  45 minutes?  Looks like you did thighs, so maybe a little less.  I love thighs, my wife doesn't dig the dark meat (why, I don't know) so I have a lot of different sized pieces.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Skrullb
    edited April 2018
    KiterTodd said:
    So I went home at lunch, bought the few ingredients I didn't have on hand, and needless to say there is now a chicken in my fridge bathing in marinade waiting to be grilled.  =) Every once in a while one of you guys posts a cook that I have to make that day...   ;)

350 raised direct seemed to work good for you. The amazingribs recipe mentions setting up for a two zone cook and all.

How long did it take?  45 minutes?  Looks like you did thighs, so maybe a little less.  I love thighs, my wife doesn't dig the dark meat (why, I don't know) so I have a lot of different sized pieces.

Yeah, I’ve chosen to go raised direct, over the indirect method. I doubt it really makes a difference. Their method said to move it over the direct side to finish, so I cut out the middle man. You may get more smoke in it by going indirect but I chose a quicker cook. Yes, I’d say 45 minutes or so...I didn’t really pay attention! I find that raised direct gives me the skin I want on chicken. I’m glad I inspired you to try it! Post pics and let me know how it turned out!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks good  I've never made this. That needs to change . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • KiterTodd
    Good stuff for sure!  Will make it again.

I threw in two small lumps of cherry, but I think I'll skip that next time or go with Pecan or something.  The flavor of the chicken itself was so good, that all I really want is a little lump flavor.  I marinaded for 4 hours (recipe says 3 to 24)

Smelled great cooking and it was a very flavorful sweet sauce without being too sweet.

I also went raised direct 350, but was two tiered.  Brought things up top when they got done or were getting a little too crispy.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Skrullb
    KiterTodd said:
    Good stuff for sure!  Will make it again.

I threw in two small lumps of cherry, but I think I'll skip that next time or go with Pecan or something.  The flavor of the chicken itself was so good, that all I really want is a little lump flavor.  I marinaded for 4 hours (recipe says 3 to 24)

Smelled great cooking and it was a very flavorful sweet sauce without being too sweet.

I also went raised direct 350, but was two tiered.  Brought things up top when they got done or were getting a little too crispy.

Yep. That looks perfect. Thanks for sharing! I used some nectarine wood I had on mine. I agree, pecan is a good choice 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Wow -- @KiterTodd's looks amazing too - My mouth is watering!