Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is everyone making for the holiday tomorrow?

Options
I am conflicted.  I am hosting at my house and the traditional stuff is already being made by family members.  Ham, Turkey and all of the other traditional things are being made. I need a beef dish maybe.  Brisket?  Timing is not a factor so I can cook all night.  What do you think?  Any good recipes?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    I’m thinking fried chicken.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Sadly nothing. We have to leave for Boston at 5 AM to move my son and daughter-in-law into their new apartment. Will be a long day of humping furniture up a flight of stairs, assembling their new crib (Grandchild #3 on the way), etc. 

We do have reservations at what is s’posed to be the best Cuban restaurant in Boston. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    That looks amazing!!!
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Lamb chops, potatoes, green beans
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My wife's family often had lamb. So our Easter table often has some sort of lamb.

One thing I did was smoked deviled eggs. Boiled them as usual, cooled them as usual, and then lightly cracked the shells all over. Let sit in beet juice (tea works also) to let the color seep thru the cracks, then Egged them for a short time to add smoke flavor. Before dinner, shelled them, and deviled the yolk. Mostly they looked really nice, but the flavor was pretty much the same as w/o the smoke.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have a 9# boneless turkey breast to cook and drive it up to Charlotte for the wife’s family gathering. Wif went up today. Party made a coconut cream cake..(also have to bring). I licked the spatchla and the bowl. You guys think it would piss her off if it was missing a good size piece when it got there?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Double smoked? How long was the cook? Doing one of these tomorrow.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    If you're thinking beef, you probably don't need a lot since you already have a lot of food.  There's nothing wrong with cooking a brisket.  You'll probably have some leftover - which is always good.  However, a beef tenderloin or a small prime rib might be a better choice.

Any of those 3 could show up the ham and turkey - which may or may not be a good thing.

As for our house, for years (before we became foodies) we used to go to nice hotel buffets for Easter.  That got us into habits whereby we now all have fond memories of certain portions of the buffets - so we now try to recreate it at home - combined with some new cooking ideas.  So, my son and I are cooking bacon on the offset and some ribs and lamb chops on the egg.  My daughter is going to use the rib meat to make an egg dish (benedict?)and/or hollandaise sauce or something.  My wife is making waffles with fruit, etc.  It's going to be chaos.  Friends are bringing an egg and fruit pizza and some fruit.  We're skipping the omelet station this year.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Gym said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Double smoked? How long was the cook? Doing one of these tomorrow.
    Yes. Did this at 250* grate/ 275-300* dome temp. Took about 5 hours. Pulled it at 138*. Lots of peach and pecan chunks 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Go Bold, or stay home.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    A little late to post and not done on the Egg(out of town) Canned biscuits, bacon, cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, jalapeños. These go fast at the family reunions.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Lobster Rolls.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    I ended up going with ol' faithful....Brisket.  it was well received and I have no idea how to post pictures.  Thank you all for the help.  See you at the So Cal EggFest!!!!