Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

This weekend, my brother in law and I will be doing our annual hash cook. We always end up throwing something on the egg to smoke to go with it. This year, we have been asked to smoke a brisket, which will be my first, so kinda nervous about it. But, my in laws bought a flat as opposed to a whole packer. Will this be an issue? I have butcher paper that I plan to use when I reach the stall, but worried it will not be as tender (i’ve heard the flat is the tougher, leaner part). It’s USDA choice if that counts for anything. 
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    As you have heard many people if they are picking out the meat themselves and have enough people to feed will pick out a whole packer. That doesn't mean a flat can't make some good barbecue. Put it on the Egg and smoke it!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Use the Travis method.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • So, I put the brisket on at 5 AM, thought I rolled through the stall, it got up to 169* then back back down to 162* currently. Y’all think this is Ok? 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Sit back and let it ride, just got done doing almost a 20 hour cook and my Brisket stalled around the 160's. Patience and get a drink.
    O-Town, FL

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    So, I put the brisket on at 5 AM, thought I rolled through the stall, it got up to 169* then back back down to 162* currently. Y’all think this is Ok? 
    Absolutely. I have seen far stranger things happen. Your experience is actually the norm. More often than not, you will see a temp drop if you monitor the internal temp regularly. Just keep on rolling brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH I’m gonna trust it. This is the least I have opened the egg ever while smoking. It’s wrapped now, just waiting. 
  • pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    Had a question also, hope you don't mind if I throw in a couple questions to your thread, but seems kind of relevant to what I am trying to do as well..

...think I am going to dive in and attempt my first brisket this evening, have easter dinner, and have the traditional 'boring' ham my wife is getting, but thought it was a good night to try.... live and learn...

been reading a lot...a couple questions if someone has the time...

1.  See everyone talking about the PS... I have one, but I also have the AR Rig with the 'oval' ceramic plate that I have mastered ribs on... any reason that I can't use that set up?

2. I do like the water pan idea, have seen and understand both sides, but figure for the first one, a little extra moisture will help... plan on putting it on around 11pm tonight at around 250, how much water/liquid do I need in a disposable pan to make it thru the night? 

Think thats about it... thanks guys...
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    @pileit1971 as to your first question, no there is no reason you can’t use the AR with oval stone. I just ordered the AR with the oval stone, from what I have gleaned over reading here for two years I won’t use the PS ever again.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    @pileit1971, you can definitely use a water pan if you want, but there really isn't much/any advantage.  With that said, I've done it.  In terms of how much water to put in, I would just fill it up.  Just recognize that as the water evaporates it becomes less of the heat sink and the temperature will rise.  If it all evaporates out the temp will rise rapidly.  So, knowing that - just set your vents the way you normally to to achieve 250 and leave them there.  With the water pan it will probably settle in at 220 or so - but that's OK on the overnight portion of the cook.  Then you can adjust in the morning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    KJS, I am in the same boat, I bought the PS when I get the egg 6 years ago and found the AR rig and use it for every indirect cook, and once I set it up tonight, I am doing the same thing...PS is still in the storage shelf...

Foghorn... use the flame boss...sorry have to cheat somewhere to get a decent night sleep...

So the drip pan, just leave it empty... I have an air gap of course, its sitting on one of the AR rig racks above the ceramic stone...

Thanks for the advice, its getting fired up now....
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • KJS, I am in the same boat, I bought the PS when I get the egg 6 years ago and found the AR rig and use it for every indirect cook, and once I set it up tonight, I am doing the same thing...PS is still in the storage shelf...

Foghorn... use the flame boss...sorry have to cheat somewhere to get a decent night sleep...

So the drip pan, just leave it empty... I have an air gap of course, its sitting on one of the AR rig racks above the ceramic stone...

Thanks for the advice, its getting fired up now....
    That’s the setup I use. Sounds ok to me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ok, so just pulled it at 203*. 17 hours for a 9 lb flat. Probed nicely. Now my new predicament/question. Obviously we are past dinner, but we decided to add it for Easter dinner tomorrow. It’s resting in the cooler now, but what should I do until lunch tomorrow?  Put it in the fridge uncut? Cut it up and refrigerate? What are your thoughts. 
  • Foghorn
    Put it in the fridge.  In foil.  Reheat it in the foil in the oven.  About 1.5 hours at 300 - until the meat temp is over 140 in all areas.  And you can do this a while before you need it and if it's done an hour or so early just let it sit in the oven with the oven off - or a cooler.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• What fog said. Except one thing. Throw it in the freezer for an hour before throwing it In The fridge. Open the foil (if it’s wrapped) so it can cool quickly. Foil keeps the heat in and the cool out so it can create an unsafe temp situation for many hours if you throw hot food wrapped in foil in the fridge. 

If you have a foodsaver and a bag ana bag that will fit it, seal it up and drop in cold water to cool it down. Then drop the bag in hot water for an hour or so tomorrow to reheat. If not, oven and foil will work fine to reheat it. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Just wanted to update this post and let you all know how this finished up. I ended up putting it in the freezer last night because I knew I would be up early for Easter Sunrise service. When I woke up around 5, I pulled it from the freezer and put it in the cooler to hold for lunch. I popped it in the oven at 300 for about 1.5-2 hours until internal temp was around 150*. I was surprised to find the brisket extremely moist and tender when opened. Everyone enjoyed it, and I will be doing this again soon! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @SuperCooper
    Glad to hear that it turned out well my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Excellent.  Glad it worked out.

San Antonio, TX