Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gochujang Smoked Meatballs

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Had some Gochujang 
    That sounds like something I use to say after a hot date ;)
    On a more serious note, great looking grub. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Had some Gochujang 
    That sounds like something I use to say after a hot date ;)
    On a more serious note, great looking grub. 
    The kinda thing you thought about having to show a doctor  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great...
    Looks like you used black pepper instead of white.
    I'm pepper ignorant so excuse me, but is there a flavor difference or is "mainly" presentation to use white pepper instead of black pepper?
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks great...
    I'm pepper ignorant so excuse me, but is there a flavor difference or is "mainly" presentation to use white pepper instead of black pepper?
    Thanks
    As you considered, it’s more about presentation for me but here’s a good description of the differences.  In a recipe like this it doesn’t matter much.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9291-white-pepper-its-not-just-about-color
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks great...
    Thanks
    As you considered, it’s more about presentation for me but here’s a good description of the differences.  In a recipe like this it doesn’t matter much.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9291-white-pepper-its-not-just-about-color
    Thank you, excellent description in your link. I thought the white and black pepper were a completely different beast. Had no idea about the post processing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,254
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Dayum @bgebrent, these are incredible. Had to use the oven instead of the Egg because of time, and cut back the Gochujang by a quarter because my bride doesn’t like really hot food. I also mixed ground pork 50/50 with some 80/20 ground beef. Will definitely add these to a regular rotation. Also made some store bought potstickers in case they were too hot for my wife:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Nice looking cook you had there!  
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Giving these a shot on Sunday. Ground beef was $5.50 a pound so found a brisket point on sale. Will grind it up Sunday morning.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    No idea if this is the correct stuff but it was all I could find.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Photo Egg I’ve used that brand it’s good stuff. Not very spicy compared to others I have had so don’t stress over adding too much. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @Photo Egg I’ve used that brand it’s good stuff. Not very spicy compared to others I have had so don’t stress over adding too much. 
    Excellent, really appreciate the info. The 2 other kinds were both a sauce.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Photo Egg yeah that’s the only one our convenience grocery store had that wasn’t like a glaze/sauce but real paste. 

I just came out of the garage with all the ingredients for these. I guess it’s gonna be a Korean meatball kinda week on the forum. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    No idea if this is the correct stuff but it was all I could find.

That's the right stuff brother. And the point, you're on point.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    One would think that these would be well received at an event like Butt Blast. Which happens to be coming up in a few weeks.

Just sayin'...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,053
    Options
    caliking said:
    One would think that these would be well received at an event like Butt Blast. Which happens to be coming up in a few weeks.

Just sayin'...
    It’s funny but I was thinking exactly the same thing.  Great minds, natch...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Tried these tonight with a little Apple smoke on a bed of @Possumtrot ‘s Asian cole slaw and rice. 

The apricot mixed with the peanut butter in the slaw and the smoke / chili paste was on point. 

The heat lingered just enough for a second helping. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @bgebrent I froze the extra uncooked ones and will see if they hold to cook. 

If so this would be a stupid easy dish for for the Blast. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options

It wii freeze and hold well.  We’re doing “pizza meatballs” at B.B., more kid friendly.  Glad you liked it.  Something different is always good.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:

It wii freeze and hold well.  We’re doing “pizza meatballs” at B.B., more kid friendly.  Glad you liked it.  Something different is always good.
    Is B.B. kid friendly? Oh an Brent, Maddie wanted me to ask if you were bringing the cat(s)?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    edited April 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Is B.B. kid friendly? Oh an Brent, Maddie wanted me to ask if you were bringing the cat(s)?
    One of our cats is an abominable bumble.  He’d crush Maddie.  That said, they’ll be staying home protecting the ‘stead.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Pizza meatballs. My college roommate’s dream finally came true. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Made a triple batch tonight to cook tomorrow.
    Test cooked a couple in a skillet. I did not make up the sauce yet but they were pretty damn good as is. Can't wait to grill them with a little smoke. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and keeping this post going!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Awesome brother @Photo Egg
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Cooked the rest on Sunday after prepping the night before. I thought the 2 test meatballs tasted better right after making them then they did the next day. The individual fresh minced pieces were much more apparent. Especially the ginger. But they were still great and a real winner with the guests.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I love Gochujang. I'll have to give a try. Looks so good.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I love Gochujang. I'll have to give a try. Looks so good.
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread.  Definitely bookmarking to try!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    These look flippin amazing 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,095
    Options
    A necro thread worthy of a second visit. This is on the list.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------