Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SNF kind of night

I’ve had two SNF briskets in the freezer for too long so figured why not. 

It has been thawing in the fridge for a few days but still a little frozen in the middle. Will see how that works out- I’ve done butts this way but not a brisket. 

Waiting on the egg to cool down from the steaks I made earlier. So might as well enjoy the rest of the wine left over from dinner.  

Just salt and pepper- trying to dial in somewhere around 225-250 but always tough when cooling from higher heat. It’s sleeting so no cyberQ tonight. Hope I’m not chasing temps all night. 

Greensboro, NC

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing bye for the finale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As is the case, nice marbling with that hunk of SRF protein.  Personal preference-I cut a notch off the end of the flat cross-grain so that when you create the meteorite you know the direction to attack.
    Good luck wrestling with the temperature control coming off the high-heat.  
    Regardless a fun cook and true banquet awaits.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Brisket and Belle Gloss.  That's a hard combination to beat.  

Have you tried the other Belle Gloss offerings?  Dairyman and/or Las Alturas?

The restaurant across the street from my neighborhood - which was already our favorite place - just added Las Alturas by the glass.... now we go there even more.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I have tried the other two but seem to prefer the C/T- 

However, when your in the mood for a Pinot with a little more body it’s a good option. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Absolutely.  Looks like a great night.  Enjoy.  Looking forward to the results.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Well first disappointment of the night- went to grab some oak chunks and the cupboard was bare. So next best option was pecan. 

Temp came down quickly when I put the sleet covered woo/stone in- 

going without the full A/R drip pan, etc.

Anyone see any issues skipping?   

Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Temp stable around 250 for the last 40 mins- will watch it for another 30 minutes and let it ride. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Wolfpack said:
    Well first disappointment of the night- went to grab some oak chunks and the cupboard was bare. So next best option was pecan. 

I personally like to block the rising heat on multiple levels so I can create an environment for the brisket that is hotter in the dome than on the bottom of it.  Then I can cook it with the fat side up.  I realize that I'm in the minority here with that approach, but that's what I prefer.

As you have the fat side down, the only thing I might do if I were you is to add a little aluminum foil under the parts of the brisket at the edges that are not in the silhouette of your heat blocker.

Looks like you're in for a treat.

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds good.  What's SNF?
    :fearful:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Wolfpack said:

Oak, mesquite... whatchu need brother?

juuuust down the road... lemme know!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Wolfpack
    edited March 2018
    Ha haa

All I can do is blame it on the bourbon.

SRF
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Pronounced sniff, acronym for Skilled Nursing Facility.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wolfpack
    edited March 2018
    Well checked at 4am and temp was rock steady at 250. Didn’t even put a temp probe in it last night as I figured it would not be ready until at least 10. 

Guess I was wrong- pulled it at 7am and thermopen was reading around 196-202 in various spots and probing tender.  

Didnt snap a pic as I quickly wrapped in foil and into a cooler. Guess it will be a brunch brisket. 

Will get some pics later- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Banquet ahead!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Wolfpack said:
    Well checked at 4am and temp was rock steady at 250. Didn’t even put a temp probe in it last night as I figured it would not be ready until at least 10. 

Guess I was wrong- pulled it at 7am and thermopen was reading around 196-202 in various spots and probing tender.  

Didnt snap a pic as I quickly wrapped in foil and into a cooler. Guess it will be a brunch brisket. 

Will get some pics later- 
    These things never take very long to finish in my experience.  Hope it comes out for you man, because they’re something else when they do.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    This has been an excellent journey thus far, and I am hoping this brisket turns out to be the best, ever. It sure should be with all the work you have put into it.

Really dig your wine selection for the cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Damn, now I have Beegees music going through my head.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Wolfpack
    By far the best one I have made. Had my parents over for lunch as well- we crushed it. 
    Barely enough left to make Salado Chili :)

I honor of @cazzy added the brisket over the knife pic. Looks dry in the picture but it wasn’t at all. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    BAM!  Looks awesome.

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    To hell with @cazzy and his knife shots, that last pic is glorious!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Well done sir!  Did you use a crutch halfway through?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Wolfpack
    @GoooDawgs

i was planning on a butcher paper wrap but it was finished a lot earlier than planned and I missed my window. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Waygu briskets consistently cook fast.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Focker said:
    Pronounced sniff, acronym for Skilled Nursing Facility.
    They say two outta three ain't bad...
    Nailed it!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    That looks amazing
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Wolfpack said:
    By far the best one I have made. Had my parents over for lunch as well- we crushed it. 
    Barely enough left to make Salado Chili :)

I honor of @cazzy added the brisket over the knife pic. Looks dry in the picture but it wasn’t at all. 

Dang man, I'm only 30 mins. from Greensboro ....Where did my invite get lost? =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Slammin’!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!