Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tapas for Two

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited March 2018 in EggHead Forum
Tonight it was just me and the love of my life. I decided to make tapas and have several dishes. We started with marinated olives, Spanish chorizo, fontina and smoked gouda cheese. 

Next on the menu was a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing. 

This was followed by oysters roasted in the wood oven. They had a compound butter made with DP Game On rub, Chipotle Gouda, and Chipotle Cholula hot sauce. 

The next course was bread toasted over coals and drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar, S&P, and chives.

This was followed with another round of oysters. These were made with compound butter, smoked gouda, and Yellow Bird Japapeno hot sauce.

Folks, this did not suck. I’m a happy camper. Life is good. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You my friend are off the chain.  Outstanding brother. Outstanding. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    When's the cook book or tv show coming out? I'm serious. The food and presentation is off the charts!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You do realize it says you and the love of your life and then there’s a pic of your wfo front and center.
  • SciAggie
    Legume said:
    You do realize it says you and the love of your life and then there’s a pic of your wfo front and center.
    Lol, she doesn’t want in the pics...

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Man I love your outdoor cooking space. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    My god, man, that is five courses of perfection! Bravo all the way around.
    Stillwater, MN
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Wow!!! You win the internet today!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Outstanding food and pictures.  Your threads and pictures never disappoints.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • $hit, I would be the love of your life if you made me food like that, Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Other than to say I am speechless. . . I am speechless. . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    What a cook and presentation.  A lot of effort to pull that together.  Great work as always and exceptional magazine quality pics.  Dang!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    Lol, she doesn’t want in the pics...

Oh, that clears things up. From the first pic, I assumed the love of your life was the oven, lovingly pictured in the background, and that you were performing a sad but beautiful ballet, you doing prep and feeding it into her fiery maw for licks of flame, only to have you pull them back out, so you could break the spell by taking pictures and munching on the goodies....Kind of like "The Shape of Water" but with fewer scales and better flavor. 

That it is really your wife, and she is just camera shy also makes sense. 

Seriously, though, awesome cook, awesome pics
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Thanks for the comments. This cook was a lot of fun. Interestingly, it was also a laid back and easy cook. We just ate a little, cleaned the dishes, then cooked and ate a little more - rinse, wash, repeat. If it had been for a crowd it would have been different. The oysters are really special. I’ve never been a fan of oysters. I can’t imagine eating a raw ouster. These will convert anyone I think...  
    @20stone You crack me up...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    @SciAggie Awesome in every way. It is nice to slow down and reflect.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    When I grow up I want to be just like you.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Dayum

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow... brother you have completely outdone yourself... awesome cook and love it it all..  oysters look amazing...  my love / hate with you continues....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks fantastic, as always! 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm Speechless! :) 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would try and say something clever, but my jaw is still on the floor. 

Out-frikkin-standing , sir.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    caliking said:
    I would try and say something clever, but my jaw is still on the floor. 

Out-frikkin-standing , sir.
    Thanks. Of course you know I’m wishing I had some English muffins for breakfast this morning...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Impressed!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Excellent! Looks like a great time with great eats.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'll echo the other comments. All fine looking food. I've been tempted to try oysters, not so my wife.

Side story. My wife and I and kids and MIL went to visit my daughter in Chi. We were looking for somewhere to eat lunch, and an apartment mate made a suggestion. Everyone heard "I know a good topless bar." I mentioned that my youngest was just 17. My MIL mentioned she was over over 67, and she thought she was still too young for a place like that. After some moments of confusion, were learned it was a "tapas" bar, something we knew nothing about.

Turned out to be one of the best meals we'd ever had.
  • gdenby said:
    I'll echo the other comments. All fine looking food. I've been tempted to try oysters, not so my wife.

Side story. My wife and I and kids and MIL went to visit my daughter in Chi. We were looking for somewhere to eat lunch, and an apartment mate made a suggestion. Everyone heard "I know a good topless bar." I mentioned that my youngest was just 17. My MIL mentioned she was over over 67, and she thought she was still too young for a place like that. After some moments of confusion, were learned it was a "tapas" bar, something we knew nothing about.

Did you guys get the $5.99 all you can eat steak and shrimp lunch combo? Our local “tapas” place has been advertising that for 20 years. I guess it’s a hit. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    gdenby said:

Did you guys get the $5.99 all you can eat steak and shrimp lunch combo? Our local “tapas” place has been advertising that for 20 years. I guess it’s a hit. 
    While tapas are supposed to be snacks (not all you can eat) we did end up getting stuffed at the place, Café Ba-Ba-Ree-Ba. We all ordered 2 tapas, intending to share when possible. My MIL didn't realize that the paella was in a different category, and ordered 2. We were already stuffed when the 1st pan arrived. My son and future SIL made an heroic effort, and almost everything was finished.

Thanks goodness my son was under age. No Sangria and sherry for him, so we had a driver.

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Beautiful food, @SciAggie!  Whereabouts are y'all in Central Texas.  We used to live in SW Austin, but moved to Lake Buchanan in November.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • SciAggie
    Beautiful food, @SciAggie!  Whereabouts are y'all in Central Texas.  We used to live in SW Austin, but moved to Lake Buchanan in November.  
    We’re south ofA ilene in Coleman. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    @SciAggie love seeing your cooks and cooking area. Very impressive. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I think we need a live web-cam of the cooking area to watch live.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio