Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolled Brisket Revisited - On MiniMax

SamIAm2
SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
My first cooking post, as you may or may not remember, was a rolled brisket documented here: 
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206417/first-cooking-post-first-rolled-brisket#latest
It was interesting and since then I've been thinking of trying it again, but this time I want to see if the MiniMax is up to the challenge.

Egg has a full load of carefully picked and placed Rockwood lump with no smoking wood. I may add some more small pieces before I put the meat, on if I can find them!

This brisket is a bit smaller than my first attempt. 

Going to go raised indirect with the mini PSWoo if it will all fit. Thanks for looking.
Ubi panis, ibi patria.
Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great project/cook right there.  Brisket from the same butcher??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Good luck!  About how many pounds is that?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SamIAm2
    lousubcap said:
    Great project/cook right there.  Brisket from the same butcher??
    Thanks Cap. Yes same butcher. I had two rolled briskets to choose from so I took the nicer looking one. Looked like he took a point and split it to make two rolled briskets. Might find it again and cut the twine for just a small point cook for the two of us.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    @JohnInCarolina I didn't weigh it but going by the cost per pound, a little over 3 pounds.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Interesting. That's more like the kind of brisket joint we can get in the UK.
  • SamIAm2
    Two hours on the minimax and internal temp is 136 degrees.

Thanks for looking.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • JohnInCarolina
    I’m looking forward to see how this turns out.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i do this with pastrami flats,  round sliced sections work well for sandwiches.  interesting to see how it works for brisket slices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    Internal temperature is 200 degrees, grate temperature is 341 degrees. 
    Meat has been on the egg a little over 4 hours. Moved the probe and tested with my instant read thermometer. Doesn't feel like buttah everywhere I test so I think I'll let it go to 210 internal. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Standing by for the finish...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SamIAm2
    Well folks, this is not the result you or I was expecting. I pulled the meat off at internal temp of 210 and rested it on a rack for 20 minutes. Wrapped in HDAF and placed in a cooler with towels above and below the meteorite. Then the cook went downhill worse than I could ever imagine. 

SWMBO notified me I had to take her to a walk-in clinic up the road a bit from us. Drove there and was told the person doing patient intake and coding had to leave for a family emergency and they couldn't process patients. So I drove to the emergency room at about 2:00 pm. After blood tests, CT Scans of lungs and stomach and an ultrasound, we waited......and waited. Finally at 11:00 pm the ER doctor came to talk to us. SWMBO will probably have gall bladder surgery tomorrow afternoon.

I came home, took the meat out of the cooler at 11:30 and probed. Temperature was 84 degrees so in the trash it went.  Sorry, no pictures but it did happen.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SamIAm2 said:
    Well folks, this is not the result you or I was expecting. I pulled the meat off at internal temp of 210 and rested it on a rack for 20 minutes. Wrapped in HDAF and placed in a cooler with towels above and below the meteorite. Then the cook went downhill worse than I could ever imagine. 

SWMBO notified me I had to take her to a walk-in clinic up the road a bit from us. Drove there and was told the person doing patient intake and coding had to leave for a family emergency and they couldn't process patients. So I drove to the emergency room at about 2:00 pm. After blood tests, CT Scans of lungs and stomach and an ultrasound, we waited......and waited. Finally at 11:00 pm the ER doctor came to talk to us. SWMBO will probably have gall bladder surgery tomorrow afternoon.

I came home, took the meat out of the cooler at 11:30 and probed. Temperature was 84 degrees so in the trash it went.  Sorry, no pictures but it did happen.
    Forget about the brisket, hope she's OK. That's scary stuff, thoughts and prayers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SamIAm2
    Thanks @DMW. Dang freaky Friday here.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Hoping for the best. So very sorry for your wife.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Sorry about all of that man.  Hope it all goes ok for your lovely bride.
  • SamIAm2
    @YukonRon,  @JohnInCarolina - Thanks for your support. Getting ready to return to the hospital. Going to be another long day and we have had too many lately. Getting old isn't for the weak in spirit.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Gall bladder surgery is relatively minor when done laparoscopically, recovery is fast and the problem is resolved. Hope she does well. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Keep her spirits up, and do not forget about taking care of your health too, my friend. Let us know how it goes. Get some rest when you can, and keep nourished. She will need your help for the next few days.
    Our best to you and your wife.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    That's a he!! of a change in plans.  At least it sounds like things will soon be on the upward trend.  Best wishes thru this whole deal; especially the surgery and post-op recovery.  As above, stay strong for the support you will want to provide.  You are SWMBO's advocate especially during the hospital/surgery event.  All the best thru this.
    And in the back of your mind know that the butcher will have another of those rolled briskets for you to mess with down the road.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Hope she's ok!

My wife had her gallbladder sucked out laparoscopically a coupe decades ago and recovery was quick and trouble free.

And, I would have eaten that meat but that is a topic for one of those other type of threads. :)

Take care!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery for SWMBO!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Hope the surgery goes well and you get to eat the next MMX brisket.
  • SamIAm2
    Turns out there is a gall stone in the bile duct which will need to be found using a camera inserted thru the throat. If found it can be removed and the laparoscopic removal of the gall bladder will be accomplished, possibly next day. That stone was the likely cause of all her symptoms and is affecting kidney function. Thank you all for your support and wishes.

@YukonRon trying to keep Norman Greenbaum's song out of my head right now and focusing on the things I need to accomplish while keeping my spirits up. Pastor came by the hospital, told us he had the surgery 5 years ago and was glad he did.

@lousubcap - yes sir, best laid plans and all that. We have been down this road several times with this hospital where I had to be more than her advocate.

@HeavyG - it is reassuring to know the surgery isn't that difficult and thanks, but it was more important for me to stay healthy for SWMBO than to tempt fate eating that rock. As Lou said, other chances to do this will come; and there WILL be pictures.

@Eoin - that is exactly my wish and thank you sir.

"illegitimi non carborundum" ya'll.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Update - Turned out SWMBO had gallstones and a few got lodged in the bile duct. They were taken care of successfully this morning, camera down the throat to find and then remove. Not kidding when I say that technique scared me but I had a good feeling about the doctor doing the test. Straight shooter willing to explain exactly what was going to happen but didn't sugar coat the risks.

No word yet on when the gallbladder will be removed. Most of the staff we spoke with said the surgeon for that operation is very good but all agreed his bedside manner is lacking. In limbo for now. Thanks for your support.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • lousubcap
    Thanks for the good news update.  Just keep the trend onward and more importantly upward.  
    You'll be messing around with that rolled brisket in no time.  
  • SamIAm2
    SWMBO was just taken to OR for gallbladder removal. I just met the surgeon yesterday evening at 7:00pm. Seemed a bit more reserved with me than the wife. Her sister is coming to sit with me in the room, not going to the waiting room...too many folks coughing and TV blaring. Hoping for good report. Thanks everyone.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2018
    We'll have you and SWMBO in our prayers
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SamIAm2
    Thank you @NorthPilot06. Do not know when she went into the OR so the time frame of an hour for the surgery and a half hour for recuperation may be off or delayed. They also server who stand and wait, so I've heard. Just a bit nervous.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    SWMBO is in recovery now. Just spoke with the surgeon and he told me he could not remove gallbladder laparoscopically. She had a stone the size of his fist in her gallbladder. Waiting for her to return to her room. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SamIAm2 said:
    SWMBO is in recovery now. Just spoke with the surgeon and he told me he could not remove gallbladder laparoscopically. She had a stone the size of his fist in her gallbladder. Waiting for her to return to her room. 
    Damn, sorry to hear. You would think one of the scans would have given them an idea of what they were up against.
    Wishing you and your wife the best...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas