Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olympics in Korrea

Options

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    “Sports”
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    XC242 said:
    What other Olympic sport do you know of where you see one of the participants chewing gum during the middle of the event...
    Archery. Sailing. Golf.
    I bet one of the joys in your life is telling people Rosebud is a sled :smiley:
    Whoa dude... Spoiler Alert!

Pro Tip: Don't go to Casablanca for the waters.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    WSJ had an interesting article on curling. It basically says the science community has no idea why the rock behaves as it does on ice, with the distance and trajectory applied by the thrower, or why it goes in the direction it does with the type of spin placed upon it, and basically, the folks with the brooms, should have zero impact on the stone distance or direction.
    Several papers have been written, over time, each refuting claims from previous assertions.
    It has to be PEDS. 
    They also mentioned, those with the brooms are the ones that require the most stamina and do work out to keep in shape. Most of the throwers do not.
    One person interviewed by another sports magazine, was asked what he did to prepare for the events, his answer was "Scotch and cigarettes."
    Curling, obviously, may be a future endeavor for me as a participant, should this indeed be true.
    @JohnInCarolina I have your next research project.
    Yeah I was going to comment on Ron's post.  I haven't seen the WSJ piece but I'd kind of be surprised if scientists genuinely have "no idea" what's going on here.  I'm sure there are some reasonable hypotheses but folks just haven't had the time, money, or interest in really investigating them. 

Getting funding to study the question in detail probably isn't easy.  I'm not sure there's a real science question or application that would motivate the need for the research.  Probably more than anything else that's why there are still questions that remain.  It's not exactly a high priority item. 
    Given the current funding environment, I am shocked - SHOCKED - that the science of curling has not been made a priority. 

Forget gravity waves, Fermat's Last Theorem, bosons, quarks,  and all that rubbish. We need to figure out what makes curling happen. Now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:
    WSJ had an interesting article on curling. It basically says the science community has no idea why the rock behaves as it does on ice, with the distance and trajectory applied by the thrower, or why it goes in the direction it does with the type of spin placed upon it, and basically, the folks with the brooms, should have zero impact on the stone distance or direction.
    Several papers have been written, over time, each refuting claims from previous assertions.
    It has to be PEDS. 
    They also mentioned, those with the brooms are the ones that require the most stamina and do work out to keep in shape. Most of the throwers do not.
    One person interviewed by another sports magazine, was asked what he did to prepare for the events, his answer was "Scotch and cigarettes."
    Curling, obviously, may be a future endeavor for me as a participant, should this indeed be true.
    @JohnInCarolina I have your next research project.
    Yeah I was going to comment on Ron's post.  I haven't seen the WSJ piece but I'd kind of be surprised if scientists genuinely have "no idea" what's going on here.  I'm sure there are some reasonable hypotheses but folks just haven't had the time, money, or interest in really investigating them. 

Getting funding to study the question in detail probably isn't easy.  I'm not sure there's a real science question or application that would motivate the need for the research.  Probably more than anything else that's why there are still questions that remain.  It's not exactly a high priority item. 
    Given the current funding environment, I am shocked - SHOCKED - that the science of curling has not been made a priority. 

Forget gravity waves, Fermat's Last Theorem, bosons, quarks,  and all that rubbish. We need to figure out what makes curling happen. Now. 
    Could not agree more.  The rest of that psuedoscience is a waste of time and is of absolutely no use.

Curling gold medals are a point of national pride!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Justacookin
    Options
    Beer and curling go together like beer and horse shoes go together imagine how well they would have done if they had a pitcher of High life on each end waiting for them.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It was Thursdays edition of The WSJ. I read that after reading why GE stock was tanking.

I am sure the curling article had some fluff, but the conclusion by the scientists, which have chosen to share their expertise, is that it makes no sense.

@JohnInCarolina is correct, there has been opinions from the science community.
    Several hypothesis have been offered in papers written, each one refuting the previous,
    thoughts.

The last paper written, if I recall correctly, was the thousands of micro scratches on both the ice surface and the rock, prior to the broomers, may be providing the friction that counters the spin or applied trajectory of the stone.

It is the rotation phenomenon of the stone, given at release, which provides an opposite curl or curve effect, seemingly in opposition to the direction of the spin, is what has those in the science community, that care enough to form an opinion, the reason to scratch their head and shrug.

They also said with a faster spin upon release, the straighter the line, which they noted but had no answer for as well.

I still think it has a lot to do with alcohol. 

I was training for a gold medal myself today.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    So, did anyone take a knee?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    It was Thursdays edition of The WSJ. I read that after reading why GE stock was tanking.

I am sure the curling article had some fluff, but the conclusion by the scientists, which have chosen to share their expertise, is that it makes no sense.

Several hypothesis have been offered in papers written, each one refuting the previous,
    thoughts.

The last paper written, if I recall correctly, was the thousands of micro scratches on both the ice surface and the rock, prior to the broomers, may be providing the friction that counters the spin or applied trajectory of the stone.

It is the rotation phenomenon of the stone, given at release, which provides an opposite curl or curve effect, seemingly in opposition to the direction of the spin, is what has those in the science community, that care enough to form an opinion, the reason to scratch their head and shrug.

They also said with a faster spin upon release, the straighter the line, which they noted but had no answer for as well.

Friction is actually a very challenging scientific problem.   There is a basic model of Coulombic friction that works fairly well for engineering applications, but which everyone knows is vastly oversimplified.  Friction is a true multi-scale problem.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Focker said:
    Anyone taking a knee would be considered a Lost Seoul!!~~
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Concur @JohnInCarolina. Having to deal with UHD thin film, funtional applications, friction is one of the most time consuming issues one has to overcome.

Static makes experimenting with hydrocarbon compounds, in various physical states, very interesting at times.

Anyway, I was having a glass of wine yesterday filling a small sink hole with some rocks. I think I could at least get a bronze, with the way I was throwing these bad boys in.

Thinking China in 2022.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    Focker said:
    Not since Tonya Harding.  
    Greatest line ever about the olympics. Ever.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    YukonRon said:

thoughts.

Friction is actually a very challenging scientific problem.   There is a basic model of Coulombic friction that works fairly well for engineering applications, but which everyone knows is vastly oversimplified.  Friction is a true multi-scale problem.
    I have always disliked the friction models we use for engineering.  They work for most instances, but the simplifications they use (mosly removing contact area) have always been counterintuitive to me.  When the area gets to small or to large they fall apart.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Anyone else notice there are a lot of games with ice or snow this year?  When do the real sports start?  
    Not sure if you're joking but you do realise these are the winter Olympics?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    TheToast said:
    Anyone else notice there are a lot of games with ice or snow this year?  When do the real sports start?  
    @FlyOverCountry is a pseudonym  for another member.  Have some idea who, but will leave the outing to Wikileaks.  It is so they can troll without risking their real handle.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    It takes a lot of work to play the "I know nothing game" and pull it off-unlike presented here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m guessing it’s a pretty fair representation of his q. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @FlyOverCountry is a pseudonym  for another member.  Have some idea who, but will leave the outing to Wikileaks.  It is so they can troll without risking their real handle.
    It’s obviously Nola. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's not me.  Seems to be coming from 109.99.110.34
    Options
    Romania?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    For the last time I am not a **** troll.  I’m jus new.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    The buzzer?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Seems to have a very “Ken M” vibe to him. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Should be about time for the closing ceremonies. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Um, maybe a few days ago?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    How’d we do on the medal count? Did we win the olympics? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    I don think there over I didn’t see any swimming yet.  Where’s that Phelps kid?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    We always win.  No need for a metal count.  We were even allowed to compete under our own flag, unlike those pesky ruskies.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    We always win.  No need for a metal count.  We were even allowed to compete under our own flag, unlike those pesky ruskies.
    That whole OAR thing was a joke