Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olympics in Korrea

Options
Anyone else notice there are a lot of games with ice or snow this year?  When do the real sports start?  

Comments

• FlyOverCountry
    FlyOverCountry Posts: 665
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Also I made beef ribs for the first time that came out ok.  Not Korrean though.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My favorite so far is the Russian curler caught doping.

Doping.

For CURLING!?!?!?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    Options
    Please, look at these atheletic specimen.  They will take any advatage they can.  Heck, the Americans even played sober!!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    caliking said:
    My favorite so far is the Russian curler caught doping.

Doping.

For CURLING!?!?!?
    I don think she was doping.  Probably jus on her period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Please, look at these atheletic specimen.  They will take any advatage they can.  Heck, the Americans even played sober!!
    You are just assuming they were sober 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    It would make for a better story if they were fall down drunk while they won their gold medal a few hours ago. Great game! Wild 8th end.

GBR and Japan in Women's Bronze match right now (GBR 3 Japan 2 in 6th end). The Japanese ladies sound like drunk anime characters having a good time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/18/sports/olympics/curlers-fit-buff.html

One of the Canadian Team guys had arms that looked like speed skater thighs. I think he lifted bro.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I stayed up and watched last night.  I realized that I’m in good enough shape, but I don’t have Olympic-level flexibility.  Or pants that would survive that if I was flexible enough.

I’ll stick with bar shuffleboard for now.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    WSJ had an interesting article on curling. It basically says the science community has no idea why the rock behaves as it does on ice, with the distance and trajectory applied by the thrower, or why it goes in the direction it does with the type of spin placed upon it, and basically, the folks with the brooms, should have zero impact on the stone distance or direction.
    Several papers have been written, over time, each refuting claims from previous assertions.
    It has to be PEDS. 
    They also mentioned, those with the brooms are the ones that require the most stamina and do work out to keep in shape. Most of the throwers do not.
    One person interviewed by another sports magazine, was asked what he did to prepare for the events, his answer was "Scotch and cigarettes."
    Curling, obviously, may be a future endeavor for me as a participant, should this indeed be true.
    @JohnInCarolina I have your next research project.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    WSJ had an interesting article on curling. It basically says the science community has no idea why the rock behaves as it does on ice, with the distance and trajectory applied by the thrower, or why it goes in the direction it does with the type of spin placed upon it, and basically, the folks with the brooms, should have zero impact on the stone distance or direction.
    Several papers have been written, over time, each refuting claims from previous assertions.
    It has to be PEDS. 
    They also mentioned, those with the brooms are the ones that require the most stamina and do work out to keep in shape. Most of the throwers do not.
    One person interviewed by another sports magazine, was asked what he did to prepare for the events, his answer was "Scotch and cigarettes."
    Curling, obviously, may be a future endeavor for me as a participant, should this indeed be true.
    @JohnInCarolina I have your next research project.
    Yeah I was going to comment on Ron's post.  I haven't seen the WSJ piece but I'd kind of be surprised if scientists genuinely have "no idea" what's going on here.  I'm sure there are some reasonable hypotheses but folks just haven't had the time, money, or interest in really investigating them. 

Getting funding to study the question in detail probably isn't easy.  I'm not sure there's a real science question or application that would motivate the need for the research.  Probably more than anything else that's why there are still questions that remain.  It's not exactly a high priority item. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    Heck, the Americans even played sober!!
    Are you sure?  They're from the Minnesota/Wisconsin border...   =)

(I'm from that area so I can use the stereotype)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Woodchunk
    Options
    After a long day on the ice
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Curling is about as much fun to watch as Cup Cake Wars!!~~
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,964
    edited February 2018
    Options
    TIL that the surface of the curling ice has a pebble texture to it. They get it super cold and drop water droplets on from above to finish it. It so cold they freeze instantly before going flat so there are millions of tiny bumps that cause stones to glide the way they do. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,964
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m guessing the brooms flatten those bumps out and make channels for the stones and That’s how they get them to curl?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What was the genesis of the sport? I picture a drunk Canadian tripping while walking out to his ice shanty.  His 12 pack rocketed towards the hut and stopped close by.  His buddy laughed, then bet him a bottle of canadian mist he could get his 12 pack closer.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What was the genesis of the sport? I picture a drunk Canadian tripping while walking out to his ice shanty.  His 12 pack rocketed towards the hut and stopped close by.  His buddy laughed, then bet him a bottle of canadian mist he could get his 12 pack closer.
    12 pack?! More like 24. We don’t drink like Americans, eh.

;) 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m guessing the brooms flatten those bumps out and make channels for the stones and That’s how they get them to curl?

Sweeping keeps the rock straight and prevent the curl. It also creates a thin water layer that maintains momentum. So if you see them sweeping they either want it to stay straighter to get by a guard or to get it further down the ice. 

The curl is initiated when they throw the rock. Watch how the handle is angled and then brought straight as the rock is released. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Botch said:

The local rink is a half mile from my house, never set foot in it. They sell booze in those places? Wish I’d a known that earlier. They really shoulda put a sign outside saying that, I might have stopped in for some lessons...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Botch said:

The local rink is a half mile from my house, never set foot in it. They sell booze in those places? Wish I’d a known that earlier. They really shoulda put a sign outside saying that, I might have stopped in for some lessons...
    You coulda been a contenda
  • XC242
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Botch said:

You coulda been a contenda
    Sure, right up to the time I found the bar...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Witchcraft

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • XC242
    Options
    Witchcraft
    Aliens. 
  • XC242
    Options
    What other Olympic sport do you know of where you see one of the participants chewing gum during the middle of the event...
  • HeavyG
    Options
    XC242 said:
    What other Olympic sport do you know of where you see one of the participants chewing gum during the middle of the event...
    Archery. Sailing. Golf.

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Botch said:

Booze?  The tradition is that the winning team buys the losers a drink and then the losers return the favour so every game is good for at least 2. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    XC242 said:
    I was thinking, and even entertaining the idea of, being one of the two middle men's bobsled seats, chewin' my wrigley's.  
    But, with size 13.5 skates, a 37" inseam, balls the size of cabbages, and a generally clumsy nature, mebbe not.   :|  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:
    XC242 said:
    I was thinking, and even entertaining the idea of, being one of the two middle men's bobsled seats, chewin' my wrigley's.  
    But, with size 13.5 skates, a 37" inseam, balls the size of cabbages, and a generally clumsy nature, mebbe not.   :|  
    Coleslaw anyone?....

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    XC242 said:
    Archery. Sailing. Golf.
    I bet one of the joys in your life is telling people Rosebud is a sled :smiley: