Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I went to the Bacchus Ball with @nolaegghead

2»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I so want to go next year!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Still in the French Quarter...
    Unbelivable.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YukonRon said:
    Unbelivable.
    Pics or it didn’t happen. Feel free to text me the good ones. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    YukonRon said:
    Unbelivable.
    Pics or it didn’t happen. Feel free to text me the good ones. 
    Intelligible pics.  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    PICS @YukonRon

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    I could not raise a camera to the things I witnessed.

Some things just need to stay in New Orleans. To those that have been there during the week of Mardi Gras, and the 60 + sanctioned parades leading up to Fat Tuesday, (which on that day, to those with history of the event will tell you, anything goes, and I mean anything) I am sure they will confirm, they were not shocked.

I had been to Mardi Gras before, but not as a participant, and I think it would be fair to say, I was there when Mardi Gras was going on, but not really involved, other than seeing New Orleans celebrating going to and from work, while visiting there.

This time it was much more organic, having been invited to participate in several of the events, be in the parades, and invited to so many parties. I have been to major events around the world, but I can say, at least from my perspective, this party, was by far, beyond anything, anywhere, I have ever been.

Just as much as the derelicts, and the depraved, there were kind and generous folks who welcomed us a strangers to their homes and events. Make no mistake, the craziness gets all the publicity, but the food and spirits served at friendly gatherings were beyond what I had ever imagined.

I had my fill of the angioplasty specials, (deep fried everything) and the greatest cajun and southern dishes you can imagine. The seafood was awesome, and I picked up several recipes I will work to perfect, trying to replicate the deliciousness of all that was served.

We left the French Quarter on Ash Wednesday, the day after the culmination of the wildest party on Earth. It was very odd. Nothing was happening, at all, in our area, which had been going hardcore 24/7 since our arrival. Some people were walking around with ash on their faces, and that was all. No partying, in our area, anywhere, it was so quiet.

This is My Beautiful Wife and I, in costume. Steam Punk. First time I had ever dressed in costume for a party.

She made her costume and designed mine. She, for all intents and purposes, was raised in New Orleans by her siblings that reloacated there, over the years.
    Mardi Gras has an entirely different meaning to many of the natives, and the pseudo natives.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    A couple more:
    No he is not my grandson:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    We gathered here after marching for the band to play, and the chorus to sing:
    People are Strange, The Doors. We had a very large crowd gather for this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @YukonRon, it was eye opening for me as well, especially since we had never been to Mardi Gras.  We learned a whole new language - words like "krewe" and phrases like "what time do you roll?", etc.

We largely stayed out of the French Quarter during the busy times and we were definitely impressed by the graciousness and generosity of the place and the Mardi Gras culture.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Foghorn said:
    @YukonRon, it was eye opening for me as well, especially since we had never been to Mardi Gras.  We learned a whole new language - words like "krewe" and phrases like "what time do you roll?", etc.

We largely stayed out of the French Quarter during the busy times and we were definitely impressed by the graciousness and generosity of the place and the Mardi Gras culture.
    I am now part of the Krewe of Kosmic Debris, for the rest of my life, having survived the secret initiation. My Beautiful Wife had already been a member for years.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2018
    YukonRon said:

Mardi Gras has an entirely different meaning to many of the natives, and the pseudo natives.

Indeed it does.

BTW, it's les bons temps (the good times is (are) plural).
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    edited February 2018
    When I went to Nola in March Last year , I could only imagine the things I missed during the parades. The routes were easy to tell with all the beads , years worth , hanging in the tree's...I did have a blast @ the Parasol Block Party but I know it paled in comparison to this ... Would love to go in 2019 but my guess is all the good places are already booked
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    edited February 2018
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:

Indeed it does.

Indeed it is, sorry for the poor grammer. Still recovering, but, that is not an excuse.
    Either way, it was an experience I will never forget.

All Hail!

We will be back next year. Why don't you meet us for dinner one evening, should you not be too busy?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lkapigian said:
    When I went to Nola in March Last year , I could only imagine the things I missed during the parades. The routes were easy to tell with all the beads , years worth , hanging in the tree's...I did have a blast @ the Parasol Block Party but I know it paled in comparison to this ... Would love to go in 2019 but my guess is all the god places are already booked
    Check the power lines. Our building was covered, and it was done between 0500 and 0800, in beads and trinkets. we got in at 0430, and were slepping by 0500. I was going to have coffee on our balcony facing the corner of Frenchman and Decatur, and I could barely swing open the doors with all the stuff thrown on to our building.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    YukonRon said:
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:

Indeed it does.

Indeed it is, sorry for the poor grammer. Still recovering, but, that is not an excuse.

All Hail!

We will be back next year. Why don't you meet us for dinner one evening, should you not be too busy?
    Absolutely.
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:

Indeed it does.

All Hail!

Absolutely.
    We went to R and O's, and it was my favorite this trip. We met @nolaegghead and his better half for dinner. It was a great time, great food, great folks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    YukonRon said:

We went to R and O's, and it was my favorite this trip. We met @nolaegghead and his better half for dinner. It was a great time, great food, great folks.

Love the Italian special there - meatball and italian sausage poboy in red sauce.  Yum.
    NOLA
  • YukonRon
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:

Love the Italian special there - meatball and italian sausage poboy in red sauce.  Yum.
    I was this close >-< to getting that. I went with the Seafood Platter, with softshell crab, and was not disappointed. I did as much damage as I could....
    We took home leftovers, there were tons, and made Po Boys the next day.
    Such a killer feeding trough. Huge portions, delicious food.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

edited February 2018
    Foghorn said:
    Brother Horn, I’m not sure if that’s a man or a woman standing to your immediate left. If it’s a woman, that is one ugly woman for sure. If it’s a man, he is in desperate need of a haircut  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    Brother Horn, I’m not sure if that’s a man or a woman standing to your immediate left. If it’s a woman, that one ugly woman for sure. If it’s a man, he is in desperate need of a haircut  ;)
    Why is it that of the three of them, only @Foghorn's son has a properly fitting shirt to go with his jacket? @Foghorn @nolaegghead, your shirt sleeves should be slightly longer than your jacket. C'mon... 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Really just posted all those to hose people's data plans....
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    Brother Horn, I’m not sure if that’s a man or a woman standing to your immediate left. If it’s a woman, that one ugly woman for sure. If it’s a man, he is in desperate need of a haircut  ;)
    Why is it that of the three of them, only @Foghorn's son has a properly fitting shirt to go with his jacket? @Foghorn @nolaegghead, your shirt sleeves should be slightly longer than your jacket. C'mon... 

I bet you’re the best dressed guy in Sheetz at midnight @DMW
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:

I bet you’re the best dressed guy in Sheetz at midnight @DMW
    I have no idea what you're talking about...

I do clean up though:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Really just posted all those to hose people's data plans....
    At least you got a pic with my shirt cuff showing so @DMW will get off my back.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    I could not raise a camera to the things I witnessed.

Some things just need to stay in New Orleans. To those that have been there during the week of Mardi Gras, and the 60 + sanctioned parades leading up to Fat Tuesday, (which on that day, to those with history of the event will tell you, anything goes, and I mean anything) I am sure they will confirm, they were not shocked.

I had been to Mardi Gras before, but not as a participant, and I think it would be fair to say, I was there when Mardi Gras was going on, but not really involved, other than seeing New Orleans celebrating going to and from work, while visiting there.

This time it was much more organic, having been invited to participate in several of the events, be in the parades, and invited to so many parties. I have been to major events around the world, but I can say, at least from my perspective, this party, was by far, beyond anything, anywhere, I have ever been.

Just as much as the derelicts, and the depraved, there were kind and generous folks who welcomed us a strangers to their homes and events. Make no mistake, the craziness gets all the publicity, but the food and spirits served at friendly gatherings were beyond what I had ever imagined.

I had my fill of the angioplasty specials, (deep fried everything) and the greatest cajun and southern dishes you can imagine. The seafood was awesome, and I picked up several recipes I will work to perfect, trying to replicate the deliciousness of all that was served.

We left the French Quarter on Ash Wednesday, the day after the culmination of the wildest party on Earth. It was very odd. Nothing was happening, at all, in our area, which had been going hardcore 24/7 since our arrival. Some people were walking around with ash on their faces, and that was all. No partying, in our area, anywhere, it was so quiet.

This is My Beautiful Wife and I, in costume. Steam Punk. First time I had ever dressed in costume for a party.

She made her costume and designed mine. She, for all intents and purposes, was raised in New Orleans by her siblings that reloacated there, over the years.

Awsome right up Ron. Great times for sure.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow