Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Biscuits

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    So where do people buy lard, leaf or otherwise? And I am NOT moving to Texas! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    So where do people buy lard, leaf or otherwise? And I am NOT moving to Texas! =)
    The internet.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Biscuits! Lord-a-mercy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Next time you make biscuits, put some of your fabled breakfast sausage on one open faced, and then drench with sugar cane syrup. Thank me later. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm ALMOST certain that there are at least a few places you can buy lard between you and TX, even if the internet fails you. 

But, PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send some your way when we butcher our next hog. I'm not parting with any of my current stash. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    onedbguru said:
    MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm   Biscuits with butter and real sorghum molasses or honey. 
    Wife recently had a go at homemade english muffins that turned out GREAT. 

Recipe? I would like to give those a try. 

• caliking
    stv8r said:
    Great biscuits are the epitome of a fantastic breakfast.  My Mom used to make the best ones with Bisquick.  Still trying to duplicate them.
    My mom used to make wonderful pancakes from Bisquick, that were nothing like what pancakes are supposed to be. They were thin and with wonderful lacy, crispy edges. I think she only added water and milk to the Bisquick. It was only after I went to college that I found out what pancakes are supposed to be like (which is also when I found out that french toast was supposed to be a sweet item, instead of the savory and spicy version we grew up eating).

I still miss her pancakes though, and have not been able to replicate them consistently either. 

• caliking
    jeffwit said:
    Next time you make biscuits, put some of your fabled breakfast sausage on one open faced, and then drench with sugar cane syrup. Thank me later. 
    Great minds think alike. I totally would have tried that, but alas, I am out of our breakfast sausage. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Good looking biscuits pal!  

I tried learning from my mom and her sisters, but they really blow at directions as they don't measure.  They have a huge bowl of flour, and it's all by feel after that (oh, a hand full of lard/Crisco, some buttermilk, yada, yada).  They just roll them by hand (no spreading and cutting).  I just couldn't get that down.  I suck at life.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Interesting thread about biscuits and lard.  The book (Big Bad Breakfast) you mentioned is enticing.  Breakfast is my grand kids' favorite meal, so I'm gonna give it shot.  The online preview indicates a lot of variety.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    jeffwit said:
    Next time you make biscuits, put some of your fabled breakfast sausage on one open faced, and then drench with sugar cane syrup. gravy.
    FTFY :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    We buy ours in a bulk package, bundled with back lard (great for sausage), bacon, ham, shoulder and chops. Some disassembly required.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Interesting that yours came out nice and golden brown all over the top. Mine are mottled. Good though. 
    I will attribute that to the happy piggy lard that went into these. 

They were quite light and flaky. Unlike a couple of past attempts. 
    I have never even SEEN lard! Not the real thing anyway, just the green and white boxes at the grocery store. No idea where to buy it and I doubt I'll ever get around to making my own. For biscuits and pie crusts, I've used all butter, all shortening and some of each, but never lard.
    That's a sad life :smiley:

Everybody should have at least seen  real lard ONCE in their lives. 
    Lord some folks are sheltered. I’ve seen it straight from the hog into 5 gallon tins. 
    Hog killing time was a party in my youth. Smokey Mountain Oysters were a delicacy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    caliking said:
    I'm ALMOST certain that there are at least a few places you can buy lard between you and TX, even if the internet fails you. 

But, PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send some your way when we butcher our next hog. I'm not parting with any of my current stash. 
    @caliking, I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't ask you to go to the trouble. Just read a bit about making it and it doesn't seem to be that much trouble. I have a hot plate (and a crock pot for that matter) so I could take it outside. Also, I found that there are several farms in the area that butcher and sell piggy parts. Hopefully I can find some suitable pork fat.

Found this link that looks helpful with its step by step photos.
    http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/make-your-own-lard/

Thanks, bud. I really do appreciate it!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    Thanks @onedbguru!! Those look awesome. 

Clarification : table or kosher salt? And I’m assuming you used unsalted butter?

i may try a sourdough version. Thanks again. 

• caliking
    caliking said:

@caliking, I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't ask you to go to the trouble. Just read a bit about making it and it doesn't seem to be that much trouble. I have a hot plate (and a crock pot for that matter) so I could take it outside. Also, I found that there are several farms in the area that butcher and sell piggy parts. Hopefully I can find some suitable pork fat.

Found this link that looks helpful with its step by step photos.
    http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/make-your-own-lard/

Thanks, bud. I really do appreciate it!! 
    No problem. And it really wouldn’t be any trouble to send you some later. I’m sure your local farms/butchers could hook you up with some pork fat in the meantime though. 

Thats pretty much the way we make lard from our pig fat.  And the cracklins are fantastic on just about anything. 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    In her later years, my grandmaw would make one bisque.  If it came out then she would do a whole pan.  If not we went to foodlion. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'd hit that with some sausage gravy :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    bucky925 said:
    In her later years, my grandmaw would make one bisque.  If it came out then she would do a whole pan.  If not we went to foodlion. 
    I love and admire that attitude. She cared enough to give it a go, but wasn't worried about saying "fvck it. Y'all can go to the store and get some".

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    caliking said:
    Thanks @onedbguru!! Those look awesome. 

Clarification : table or kosher salt? And I’m assuming you used unsalted butter?

i may try a sourdough version. Thanks again. 
    I think we use salted butter and kosher salt
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Eoin said:
    Why do you guys call scones biscuits?
    These don't have sugar in them. What you call biscuits are cookies over here. My grandmother made great American style biscuits using fresh butter that she also made on the farm. We would split them open and put various things like tomato gravy over them though I liked fruit preserves and fresh cream. So they could do as a dessert or as part of a meal. Many people in my area like to fill them with bacon of sausage f
    @Gulfcoastguy scones can be savoury as well, cheese scones are popular.  We don't do the gravy thing though, save that for your chips (fries).
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!
    Did you smash the sausage though?!?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • So where do people buy lard, leaf or otherwise? And I am NOT moving to Texas! =)
    Local Butcher!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Pillsbury can't hold a candle to these babies - nice job!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• caliking said:
    stv8r said:
    Great biscuits are the epitome of a fantastic breakfast.  My Mom used to make the best ones with Bisquick.  Still trying to duplicate them.
    My mom used to make wonderful pancakes from Bisquick, that were nothing like what pancakes are supposed to be. They were thin and with wonderful lacy, crispy edges. I think she only added water and milk to the Bisquick. It was only after I went to college that I found out what pancakes are supposed to be like (which is also when I found out that french toast was supposed to be a sweet item, instead of the savory and spicy version we grew up eating).

I still miss her pancakes though, and have not been able to replicate them consistently either. 
    More proof that all things you hear in college is not necessarily correct. I will take the crispy edge pancakes and definitely the spicy savory version of French toast. If I want sweet coffee cake or donuts will do.
  • 20stone said:
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!
    You SHOULD be ashamed. As for breakfast sausage, Mo is on deck. 
    Assuming he chooses to cooperate this time. He has very little incentive to do so
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    jeffwit said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:
    Why do you guys call scones biscuits?
    Why do you guys call cookies biscuits?
    And fries chips?
    and chips crisps?
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    20stone said:
    Assuming he chooses to cooperate this time. He has very little incentive to do so
    He's highly disincentivized.  And his uncooperative behavior has been positively reinforced.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    He's highly disincentivized.  And his uncooperative behavior has been positively reinforced.  
    Mo has already proven himself to be the brains of the operation. THAT'S a piggy you don't eat all at once.