Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Shipping performance; what am I missing? Rant!

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
Had a shipment delivered today by my least favorite shipping company (5 letters).  Must be against the law to ring the front door-bell especially since I have asked several times to leave packages by the garage door and not the front door with no success.
When I checked on-line I find the package delivered (while I was home) to the front door and open the door to find this:

On the off-chance reading was not a strong suit, here's another hint:

Needed to vent.  You can't make this simple stuff up.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You sure its not you standing on your head taking those pictures? No way they do this....ha they are in the shipping bitness!

Shaking my head. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    how was the guy expected to read everything upsidedown and right to left
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2018
    I think there is an overall lack of customer service in most places nowadays. I had a frustrating experience today as well. 
    We live in small town nowhere, and I needed to inquire about something at our local bank. It was pouring rain, cats and dogs with thunder or I would have just driven over there.
    Called the local number and after playing phone tag, finally got a human on the third call after going through the recorded spill and button pushing game.
    I got the call center in a completely different state. Could not get a correct answer and finally asked to speak to a supervisor. Was given the runaround with her as well and then asked to be given a direct number to the bank not five miles from my house. The number she gave me...the number I called, that was listed as a local number, was the number I called and wound up talking to her. So she gave me the number I was currently talking to. Said it routed to her. I explained that was no help.
    To shorten my boring story, because I did not really believe the answer the call center people were giving me, I asked to be transferred to the local bank, to a real, live person there.
    After a long time on hold, finally got someone local, and they confirmed what I needed to know, which was completely opposite of what both the first rep and the the supervisor at the call center told me.
    And the whole thing was if they still had the stupid coin counting machine they used to have and what was the charge to use it, as I found several jars of loose change at my deceased brother's house when going through his things.
    Call center - no our bank does not offer those in any of our locations. Local bank - yes we still have it and you can come in at any time. We charge a percentage of the total amount to use the machine. Come by any time. 
  • lousubcap
    @epcotisbest - Way to stay the course.  Don't lose the number and when you visit I would ask to speak with the manager and explain what you went thru.  Likely won't make any difference but you will feel better.  I know as I just got finished with a note to the 5 letter shipping company.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The dude's job is literally to handle and deliver packages correctly.  That is his only job.  SMDH
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    The upside to this whole deal is that the box contained a SRF Black brisket that is now commencing the fridge thaw and wet age for a couple of weeks.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Your delivery man was a carpenter before this job - he got fired because he was throwing away half of the nails because the head was on the wrong end!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    RRP said:
    Your delivery man was a carpenter before this job - he got fired because he was throwing away half of the nails because the head was on the wrong end!
    Never realizing he could have used them on the other side of the house!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Delivery service is the worst from the 5 letter guys. They are independent contractors, where more stops equal more money. Your package condition is not important to them, the delivery is.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon - I get that which makes my periodic requests to leave the packages by the garage door even more frustrating.  It is a good 75-80 feet more of a hike to get to the front door.  Oh, well.  
    First world issues for sure.  But some first world shippers get it right.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    The driver could have been a little shaky after driving to your house.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Maybe the driver is Australian?  

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The items delivered here, by 5letters is without regard to my home, requests, or package condition. It is not unusual for fragile packages to be returned, upon opening.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Wow! Just Wow!  Idiocracy is closer than we think.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Maybe the driver knew what way the brisket was orientated in the packaging and doesn't agree with the direction SRF wants the fat cap as the brisket wet ages and defrosts.  The friggen cow drives the delivery!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I've found both Fedex and UPS have pluses and minuses. One thing Eggheads like about Fedex is in most of US, Fedex delivers on Saturday.  Big plus when you're jonesin' to fire up the grill.........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    We have poor luck with both major carriers. At least your box was intact. Back when ups delivered for SRF, I got a delivery where not only the box was torn up but the styrofoam cooler was in pieces.  You can’t win either way. 
    I do like the new cloth cooler that cannot break better. FWIW
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have a problem with them as well, but not with UPS. I have a driveway that runs 150 feet and then makes a turn for another 25 feet. UPS walks or runs back from the street. OTOH the the F-E guy insists on driving clear down my drive and then rather than turn around which he has ample space to do so - he will back up all the way and regularly runs all over my lawn and has ruined 3 irrigation heads which I have had to replace. I've asked the guy repeatedly to turn around, or not drive all the way down. He gives me a look that proves he has sh*t for brains and doesn't care anyway! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I had a delivery today from Amazon via the brown truck guys. I was home and there was no knock or ring of the door bell but I did get an immediate text. It was upright and by the door mat. The five letter guys delivered a garden hoe that I ordered before Christmas. They thought it appropriate to lean it against the front door so that the handle hit me between the eyes when I opened the door.
  • That box is in great shape
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I understand, since I am retired I decided to become a customer of the Charlotte Observer.  I subscribed online but the paper never came.  After 3 weeks or so I call CS, I got someone that almost could speak english.  I was told they didn't deliver to my area.  Kind of strange since several of my neighbors get the paper.  Oh well I'm not going to argue with them to take my money. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited February 2018
    I think there is an overall lack of customer service in most places nowadays. I had a frustrating experience today as well. 
    We live in small town nowhere, and I needed to inquire about something at our local bank. It was pouring rain, cats and dogs with thunder or I would have just driven over there.
    Called the local number and after playing phone tag, finally got a human on the third call after going through the recorded spill and button pushing game.
    I got the call center in a completely different state. Could not get a correct answer and finally asked to speak to a supervisor. Was given the runaround with her as well and then asked to be given a direct number to the bank not five miles from my house. The number she gave me...the number I called, that was listed as a local number, was the number I called and wound up talking to her. So she gave me the number I was currently talking to. Said it routed to her. I explained that was no help.
    To shorten my boring story, because I did not really believe the answer the call center people were giving me, I asked to be transferred to the local bank, to a real, live person there.
    After a long time on hold, finally got someone local, and they confirmed what I needed to know, which was completely opposite of what both the first rep and the the supervisor at the call center told me.
    And the whole thing was if they still had the stupid coin counting machine they used to have and what was the charge to use it, as I found several jars of loose change at my deceased brother's house when going through his things.
    Call center - no our bank does not offer those in any of our locations. Local bank - yes we still have it and you can come in at any time. We charge a percentage of the total amount to use the machine. Come by any time. 

Sorry for the loss of your brother.  If you are looking for a fee-free option to cashing in change, Coinstar does it for no charge if you get a gift card instead of cash.  I regularly cash my change in for Amazon gift cards with no charge at all.
  • lousubcap
    @kl8ton - well played.  BTW once properly oriented the friggin cow was shipped cap up-as always.  Good thing it was at the extreme front-end of the process, time for a personal intervention.  BTW - I always thaw cap up with point up-hill so the wet age liquid is pooling around the flat.  That may be more than I need to share  ;)  I have no idea if it makes a difference but I also have a lawn.  =)
  • lousubcap said:
    The upside to this whole deal is that the box contained a SRF Black brisket that is now commencing the fridge thaw and wet age for a couple of weeks.  
    I hear they’re completely ruined once they’ve been upside down. 

Simply ship to me and I will dispose of it safely for you. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    stv8r said:

Sorry for the loss of your brother.  If you are looking for a fee-free option to cashing in change, Coinstar does it for no charge if you get a gift card instead of cash.  I regularly cash my change in for Amazon gift cards with no charge at all.
    My credit union will turn our coins into cash or deposit for no charge.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    And one too many drinks..

XL BGE
    MD
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The dude's job is literally to handle and deliver packages correctly.  That is his only job.  SMDH
    He did his job.  He got his package delivered, just the wrong direction.  :) 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site