Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Pot Duo60 - take me to the land of the un-posted

Options

Comments

• eggsurance_agent
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Wife got me one and I love it.  Tonight I made “Mexican” pulled beef in 45 min.   Go on YouTube and just look at some of the stuff people are doing it’s amazing.   Anyway not to take over but here is the beef.  

I am trying this now. Let you guys know how it goes. Looks amazing!
    LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lol.   I remember someone talking about this issue when making curry.  I think it was @paqman but I could be wrong 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    The beef was good. I would add more seasoning than the recipe called for next time. 
    LBGE
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Dealing with the unmentionables - leftovers.

A quick one minute steam or pressure cook (quick release) with the food in a dish on a trivet covered in foil and a cup of water in the bottom of the pot is the gentlest way to reheat leftovers I have found. Longer than the microwave but much better results. Brisket actually approaches the mouth texture of fresh without losing too much bark crunch.

You can also step this up by pressure cooking your favorite carb/grain (pasts, rice, couscous, baby potatoes,...). Do a quick release, fluff the carb if required, layer in chopped veg (kale, chard, nappa cabbage, grated carrot,...) followed by bite sized chopped leftover protein. 

I like to add a thin sauce (about 2 tbsp) that is sweet/sour in flavour and balance the ratio depending on the desired result. The sour is pretty much always cider vinegar and the sweet can be pretty much anything (hoisin sauce, maple syrup, Orange juice, ...). Add whatever additional seasonings to the thin sauce you desire (like fish sauce).

One option now is you can just pressure cook for one min, quick release, stir, season (great time to add things like grated cheese, nuts, raisins,...) and serve.

I find pressure cooking a little rough on most vegetables, even the shortest time makes them mushier than I would like due to the time getting to pressure. What I have found is just as fast and also allows you to monitor things better is; after adding the greens, proteins, etc. use the Slow Cook High setting for half an hour and close up the IP with the vent open. Leave it for 10 mins before checking the first time. I prefer to leave it layered for the first 10 minutes before stirring it, I'm not sure why, just a thing. Check periodically after that and give it a stir so that it doesn't start to stick. The big challenge is actually letting that timer count down to zero... The veg should be much brighter in color and taste as well as having an al dente crunch when eaten.

If you want to use tougher greens like cabbage or brussel sprouts just slice them thinly (1/8-1/4”) before adding.

Note: if you want to add bacon, onion or other things to the recipe, saute then first, remove from the IP, blot excess oil with paper towel and then just pour in your grain/pasta/rice without cleaning the pot. Give it a quick stir and then add the liquid. No cleaning until the end, another Instant Pot bonus.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited January 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Just was gifted one as well. Any tips for Nichole would be appreciated. It’ll be her gig. 
    @bgebrent

I'll buy your BGE's. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I bought a Fagor version. I haven't begun to scratch the surface of its capabilities yet. Also have an Anova that is still in the box. I don't know where I'm gonna find the time to use all these toys. First world problem for sure. I'm interested in learning from these OT posts
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    @pgprescott
    I too have these toys and where it TOTALLY paid dividends was at Christmas. I made the entire meal on all the toys and everything was done at the same time.  15lb brisket, and then some bacon appy's on the LBGE, risotto in the IP, huge batch of asparagus in the sous vide.  8 people ate well and everything was hot and fresh.  Not bad for one guy!  Can't wait to do something similar again!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Just don't get caught up on the "instant" part. Depending on liquid content it takes 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then the timer starts. 
    Really? My stovetop PC takes nowhere near that long. But regardless, a PC (electric or stovetop) takes far less time than non pressurized cooking methods. I cooked a dish the other day in about 30 minutes. Non PC time is 4-5 hours!
    The stove top PCs all get to temp faster and drop temps faster.  They're also a few PSI higher (IIRC the electrics max at ~11 or 12 -regardless of MFG claims while the stove tops are about 14/15).  So if a recipe was developed on one system itll need a bit of tweaking on the other.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • pgprescott
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    @pgprescott
    I too have these toys and where it TOTALLY paid dividends was at Christmas. I made the entire meal on all the toys and everything was done at the same time.  15lb brisket, and then some bacon appy's on the LBGE, risotto in the IP, huge batch of asparagus in the sous vide.  8 people ate well and everything was hot and fresh.  Not bad for one guy!  Can't wait to do something similar again!
    Now you’ve done it. Gone and spoiled those guests of yours. Sounds like a job well done! 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Serious Eats has some good recipes.  My favorite so far is the Chili Verde , easy and tasty. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure%20cooker 
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I'll end up buying one eventually i'm sure. Looks fun...

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Serious Eats has some good recipes.  My favorite so far is the Chili Verde , easy and tasty. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure%20cooker 
    I made this last week, damn was it good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Matt - one of the easy “get you going” things to make is broth. All the trimmings from veggies, celery leaves including the root if you buy the whole stalk, ends and skins from onions, radish tops and roots, garlic skins and tips, broccoli stalks, cauliflower stems etc. Toss into the pot add three or four litres of water (bay leaf or two, peppercorns and even some salt if you want) set for high pressure, run it 40 minutes and let pressure fall on its own. Strain and you have excellent veggie broth. 

When I spatch chickens for the egg, I save the backs in the freezer, they see the same treatment for chicken broth (let it cool to skim the fat before storing)

If you are into it, 1 part steelcut oats to 2 and a bit parts water, dash of salt, set for 3 minutes, let pressure release on its own. Stir and serve. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @skiddymarker - thanks for the tip on the broth.  
    Ive been eyeing the steelcut oats.   They are happening in the morning for Mrs3969 Bday breakfast 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Just did boiled eggs.  Awesome!! I can see these being good for Scotch Eggs

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    Options
    Just did boiled eggs.  Awesome!! I can see these being good for Scotch Eggs

Exactly. That is numero uno on my list. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am thinking of trying pepper stout beef using a combo egg plus pressure cooker. Basically follow the recipe to smoke the chuck, but instead of the 3 hour braise try 30-45 minutes in the PC. 

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Does anyone have a mini? 
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Does anyone have a mini? 
    I have the 3qt mini.  I had a $100 gift card to spend and nothing else peaked my interest otherwise I doubt I would have bought it.  I already had the 8 qt and loved it.  I thought it might be a good compliment for sides and such.  After playing with it for a week or so, That's about all it would be good for.  Its about the right size for oatmeal, rice, potatoes, sauces etc but too small for protein that would feed more than one maybe two people. 
    Parker, Colorado
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    HeavyG  thanks for indian pressure cooker book - just got on amazon for $8 . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Once again this forum cost me more $$$.......after reading this thread, I went out and purchased the 8 Qt DUO from Amazon. Came last Saturday and made a very fine Pot Roast on Sunday. Baked beans on the agenda for tonight. I'm liking the possibilites with this thing.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Baked beans are awesome in a PC! Quick too! You don't even have to soak the beans. Tonight, I'm doing kale and carrots (with red pepper flakes and a splash of balsamic afterward) in mine. You'll love your new toy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No kale and carrots tonight after all. Went to the store and found some great looking asparagus so I'll throw that in the skillet tonight. Kale and carrots will have to wait. But here's how to do it (if anyone's dying to know). =)

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/18128850657/pressure-cooker-braised-kale-and-carrots

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks for the pe @Carolina Q. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I do not have a technical/detail gene.  I just toss stuff in, hit hi pressure for 1hr and hope for the best.  If youtubbers can do it, can't be that hard.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I do not have a technical/detail gene.  I just toss stuff in, hit hi pressure for 1hr and hope for the best.  If youtubbers can do it, can't be that hard.
    Yer just padding your post count.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I found it humorous.  I'm trying the Serious Eats PC Chili Verde right now.  It took a long time to reach pressure, but now its counting down to the finish.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Please post up the results of the Chili Verde

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    I’m surprised you don’t have a spreadsheet for pressure cookers.   

analyze adapt overcome