Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Instant Pot Duo60 - take me to the land of the un-posted

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,047
My wife just got me/us and Instant Pot.  I’m excited but somewhat reserved about this because of my lack of knowledge about it.  For those of you that have and use one point me to the Instant Pot promised land.   

Thanks for any tips that you can give.  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,458
    Just was gifted one as well. Any tips for Nichole would be appreciated. It’ll be her gig. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,047
    ryantt said:
    Wife got me one and I love it.  Tonight I made “Mexican” pulled beef in 45 min.   Go on YouTube and just look at some of the stuff people are doing it’s amazing.   Anyway not to take over but here is the beef.  

Take it over brother, the beef looks great.    Any specific channel you follow on YouTube?

• SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 757
    One site I recommend: "https://thisoldgal.com". 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,246
    I like Flo Lum.  She makes some good looking food.   This is our next cook. https://youtu.be/H9FtvlGx5l0
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 

• jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,135
    Boiled eggs that peel ever so easily. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 4 dogs, five cats. One overworked vacuum cleaner.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,990
    I don't have an IP, just a regular stovetop pressure cooker. One of my favorite kitchen toys!! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

I’ve been looking at recipes a bunch over the last 2 days.  I can see several things that will compliment/enhance protein from the egg.  

And like the hot shiny box inside it will make more sense to use than the egg from time to time.  I think it will be a weeknight machine as I believe it will make things go to quick for the way I like to cook on the weekend.   

I don't have an IP, just a regular stovetop pressure cooker. One of my favorite kitchen toys!! 
    I’ve got a small and a larger pressure cooker.  I use the small one a bunch for beans.  

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 1,775
    Just don't get caught up on the "instant" part. Depending on liquid content it takes 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then the timer starts. And if your recipe calls for natural release, that could be another 25-30 minutes.

It's a great cooker. I made the absolute best ham and beans in it using a leftover egrets ham bone
    Two large BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, FlameBoss 300
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,990
    ColtsFan said:
    Just don't get caught up on the "instant" part. Depending on liquid content it takes 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then the timer starts. 
    Really? My stovetop PC takes nowhere near that long. But regardless, a PC (electric or stovetop) takes far less time than non pressurized cooking methods. I cooked a dish the other day in about 30 minutes. Non PC time is 4-5 hours!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,458
    Good information. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 1,888
    Chicken green chile yesterday.  40 minutes cook time.

Canada goose barbacoa today.  5 pounds of goose, 90 minutes cook time.

Bone broth going now, will be 8 hours of cook time total.

Had it 3 days and love it.
    I’m starting to get this thing the more I read.  Keep the info coming.  

@Spaightlabs - the goose barbacos and bone broth sound very promising.   

• mgd_eggmgd_egg Posts: 476
    I’ve had one for a couple weeks now and risotto has been my favorite so far. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • kaybeekaybee Posts: 81
    Absolutely excellent chicken/beef/veg stock from scratch in under an hour.
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 1,258
    Following ....
    got one for the wife for xmas. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 817
    Start out simple... Rice will ALWAYS come out perfect (12 minute Jasmine)!  As @kaybee said, broth/stocks are VERY simple and quick.  We no longer buy "store bought" and just make fresh when needed (retaining some for freezing each time)  Eggs... yup!  Sweet Potatoes... yup!

I'm still experimenting but have always been impressed at how the flavors are emphasized through the pressure process!!

In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

• vb4677vb4677 Posts: 430
    edited January 21
    +1 on the best hard boiled eggs
    So far I've made a couple of soups, and some shredded buffalo chicken but the best has been a risotto without a lot of stirring and standing by the stove.  Basically, stress free risotto!

And my one favorite tip - use the SAUTE function whenever you can.  It's uberfast heating, and it'll cut down on the time to get up to pressure.

My second favorite tip is that the IP recipes cook time is the actual time under pressure, not the heat up or release - so like was said earlier - you have to account for that.

Fave sites:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/
    https://www.hippressurecooking.com/
    https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/series/instant-pot/instant-pot-tips-tricks-201/

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    Large BGE, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a couple of gas smokers...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,860
    One important tip is you need to make sure there is enough liquid and avoid thickeners or it may not come to pressure. For example, if you want to make pot roast with a gravy- just use liquid (water/beefstock/wine) during the pressure phase, and you can add thickening agents (flour, corn starch, cream of xxx soup) after it has cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RedSkipRedSkip Posts: 1,290
    Crack Slaw 

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ill echo all the above comments and add you should try oatmeal. I follow the recipe that came with it but I do 50% water 50% milk and reduced the liquid by a half cup. Top with brown sugar and butter when done. So easy and simple.  I wasn't an oatmeal fan till I tried the instant pot oatmeal.  
    Parker, Colorado
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,848
    edited January 21
    Refried beans from dry beans come out great too. Makes great tea for iced tea in summer.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,848
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1728640847356719/?ref=group_header
    Great Indian food on here. Try the Butter Chicken.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    We were gonna try butter chicken this week. 

Little Rock, AR

• SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 757
    Fresh beets are awesome in the IP. Can make the chunks the size I want and the flavor is unbelievable. Love the golden and regular versions. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 4,929
    bud812 said:
    We were gonna try butter chicken this week. 
    For a good butter chicken recipe and some other good Indian recipes I can recommend her cookbook - https://smile.amazon.com/Indian-Instant-Pot-Cookbook-Traditional/dp/1939754542/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1516564286&sr=8-1-spons

Her butter chicken recipe was in an article about her in a recent issue of New York Magazine - https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

Camped out in the (757/804)
  • Thanks!

Little Rock, AR

• jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,135
    Get an extra gasket and use one for “smelly” cooks and one for milder cooks. I freely give this advice without having followed it, but the eggs I made this morning smelled like the black eyed peas I made last week. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 4 dogs, five cats. One overworked vacuum cleaner.