Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub first then mustard or mustard first then rub.

good evening everyone
whem I do pork ribs or brisket I rub the meat first then coat with mustard,I’ve just read a post where the man put mustard on his ribs then rub on top of the mustard? Isn’t the idea to rub your spice into the meat?  How do you guys do it?   As always many thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2018
    Mustard first - binds the rub to the meat.

I seldom bother any more - rubs stick just fine without it.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    A waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment. Mustard is absolutely not needed on ribs, butts or anything else barbecue.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    It may not be needed but it sure feels good rubbing it on.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Skip the mustard since the taste is totally wasted.  I use a light spritz of water as the rub binder.   That ol @sgh taught me that. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago said:
    It may not be needed but it sure feels good rubbing it on.
    Lol. I guess I just don’t get how the rub makes it to the meat if you sprinkle it on top of the mustard,I guess it does though or it’s in the crust that forms. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Just to vote with the current poll- I use el cheapo' mustard as the rub binder for any pork based protein and a worcestershire sauce binder for any beef based cook except a roast.  (Binder before the rub application.)  I am on the side that it likely doesn't make any difference however, I enjoy the outcome of each so why change it up.  That's what happens when you accumulate many laps of the sun.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I used to use mustard as a binder.  I abandoned it altogether because rub sticks just fine without it and there's no change in the outcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • We do mustard and then rub at PawPaw’s..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • I gave up on mustard last year. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• I gave up on mustard last year. 
    You guys made up my mind! I’m saving my mustard for the hot dogs. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I gave up on mustard last year. 
    Excellent!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    @JohnnyTarheel - that's a good looking' young man - just about gotta be inherited from Mrs. Tarheels side I would guess?

Looks like he enjoys his time with peepaw!

• @JohnnyTarheel - that's a good looking' young man - just about gotta be inherited from Mrs. Tarheels side I would guess?

Looks like he enjoys his time with peepaw!

@Spaightlabs    Thank you brother... Definitely the Mrs's.... He loves his BBQ time here..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    I used to use mustard as a binder.  I abandoned it altogether because rub sticks just fine without it and there's no change in the outcome.
    You mean Nicole told you to stop..... ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Mustard is best used as the base of a great BBQ Sauce. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If I had back all the money I wasted on mustard over the years I would be able to buy half of one of those hotdogs you speak of. Lol
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    You mean Nicole told you to stop..... ;)
    That's what I meant.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I stopped rinsing, I pat dry then mustard then apply rub (pork). for beef I like garlic infused olive oil.

It makes the cook a little more fun imho, and I think makes the rub stick better, especially if you like to to apply a little heavier rub. 

I agree the difference is probably close to negligible but I like doing it and will continue to do so

mustard on top of rub would make it uneven
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    And if your rub doesn't cut the mustard?
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I followed advice from Malcom Reed for my ribs and started with mustard. In the past, I had done mustard on pork butt. Later, I realized the mustard didn't help the rub adhere to the pork butt, it was tacky enough as is.

I also noticed that Aaron Franklin uses a binder for both butts and ribs, in his case EVOO.
    Mountain View, CA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    In all seriousness, I think the moist binder is more beneficial on different cookers. On butts and such I’m for it. On ribs, I either use a real
    light coat or none at all. I think I get a better texture without it. On other types of cookers with higher airflow and drier environment, I find a heavier binder beneficial. Either way, it’s not a deal breaker to me. 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562

Mustard is best used as the base of a great BBQ Sauce. 
    Agree! Thanks for turning me on to it!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • I learned a lot here. Many thanks
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I think next time I'll do one with a 'tard binder, and one without.  I'm now curious if it adds anything.  I suspect there will be some difference in the bark, but it should be a good comparison.

Phoenix 
  • I did the mustard binder only once. Didn't notice a difference in the results. 
    Huntsville, AL
    LBGE -- KAB -- PSWoo and extender -- and a nice pair of tongs
  • bgebrent
    #save the mustard for dogs!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited January 2018
    I have always used mustard as the binder. Squirt it on, use a brush to spread it, apply rubs. I have also used EVOO, and either duck fat or bacon fat. It has always been delicious.

Amazing, I never even considered doing a rub without it. I will try it now.

I must have used at least $7.00 worth of mustard in the last year, alone. That is an extra venti mocha, plus tip, at a Starbucks drive through annually.

This forum will occasionally save you money.
    10,000 more tips like this, and I am still down $20,000.00 from break even.

Keep the money saving tips coming folks.....feeling better about my BGE money pits.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I did 2 butts side by side, one with mustard, the other without.  No difference...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    enough rub on the meat til the meat disappears, coat with mustard and rub it in, more rub till the mustard disappears =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • For butts, it's rub, mustard, rub. 

How else am I supposed to get rid of the enormous 2 packs of French's I buy every single time I'm at BJ's?  
    It's a 302 thing . . .