Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin Area Egghead Meetup Saturday/Sunday?

Hello all- We have a few forum members in from other states this weekend so I thought I would throw the possibility of an informal gathering of like-minded individuals if anyone is up for it. John in Carolina is in town for some Bidness but flew in a little early so we could hang out. @socaltim is coming in to sample the wares at Franklin bbq. Not sure if Tim has availability or the "want to" but I know John and I have both :)

So- anyone interested in a little get together either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon? We could do a post Franklin recap with Tim at a local watering hole or something like that. 

Lemme know if anyone wants to get together. We are perfectly capable of having fun on our own, just thought I would throw it out there. @Legume @NoJokeSmoke, @eggobsessed@sumoconnell. @lakewade @JohnInCarolina @Mickey @xfire_ATX

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2018
    I'll actually be in Austin Sunday. My MIL is have her 86th birthday celebration. It is doubtful I can shake loose, but post or PM me the time and location for the meet-up and I'll come if I can.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    I'll actually be in Austin Sunday. My MIL is have her 86th birthday celebration. It is doubtful I can shake loose, but post or PM me the time and location for the meet-up and I'll came if I can.
    That would be great. I'll find a spot as soon as we see if there is interest. If not, I'll just let you know where John and I are. Our plan now is to be at my house cooking ribs but we are flexible if others want to play. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hard to not have a good time when eggheads meet up. My fav kind of party. 

I really hope some others join in, just so the 2 of you can stay out of jail. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    In.  Keep me in the loop, checking with the social chairman on availability.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    just checked our flight itinerary, we don't get into Dallas til late, then i guess it's a couple hrs to Austin. flight home is 3pm - extremely quick roadtrip, would have loved to have met up with you guys. Damn.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You could meet up at this joint. It's supposed to be pretty good. =)
    Image result for franklin bbq

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• If kiddo #2 was a little older (only 3 months) I'd be sure to be there - maybe the next go around. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • I’m in town for this workshop:

http://nmf2018.usacm.org/

Pretty psyched that I’m set to speak first thing Monday morning after a weekend hanging out with Eggheads.  What could possibly go wrong?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Dang @SoCalTim - you are pushing the envelope with that time-line.  You will barely have time to inhale Franklin's and then hit the road for your 3 PM departure.  Over-order and eat your way back to Dallas and LA.  Good luck and enjoy the speed-run.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    edited January 2018
    @JohnInCarolina - must be a warm-up for the USACM ( cider maker branch...) for when you become the President.  I'm sure you will set multiple alarms and wake-up calls to ensure you are at least present for your talk.  I would say something about fun this weekend but that's is a given.  
    Edit:  You need to punt the Tuesday session and get to Franklin's.  Who knows when you will have another opportunity.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    lousubcap said:
    Dang @SoCalTim - you are pushing the envelope with that time-line.  You will barely have time to inhale Franklin's and then hit the road for your 3 PM departure.  Over-order and eat your way back to Dallas and LA.  Good luck and enjoy the speed-run.  
    I know right! My nieces husband is paying for everything (I offered to pay but he said no) so I'm on his timeline .. Me? I'd of scheduled more downtime so at least I could check out a bit more of Dallas and Austin.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Wish I could make it.  I would love to meet you guys.  Only a 4.5 hr drive but would be worth it.  Maybe another weekend.   
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SoCalTim said:
    just checked our flight itinerary, we don't get into Dallas til late, then i guess it's a couple hrs to Austin. flight home is 3pm - extremely quick roadtrip, would have loved to have met up with you guys. Damn.
    That is incredibly tight. Are you driving from Dfw?
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I’m in town for this workshop:

Pretty psyched that I’m set to speak first thing Monday morning after a weekend hanging out with Eggheads.  What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing like trying to act sober while still sloppy drunk and give a presentation to peers and superiors. Hope you don’t have a grant on the line. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike said:

Nothing like trying to act sober while still sloppy drunk and give a presentation to peers and superiors. Hope you don’t have a grant on the line. 
    CTMike said:

Just a breezy little chat on nonlocal methods in fracture (which has a long history in continuum mechanics) while trying to keep your eggs down. Nbd. 
  • Legume
    @SoCalTim Love Field or DFW?  You’re a good two hours short of being comfortable, you’ll need to inhale, drive fast and clench the whole way.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim said:
    That is incredibly tight. Are you driving from Dfw?
    Our flight leaves @ 7, (we wanna be out of Austin by 3) figure 3 or so hrs drive back to Dallas Love Field. So we wanna eat and hit the road. I don't now the area to take chances on time .. would have loved to have met you guys!
  • Legume
    Oh, that’s much better.  Thought you were saying 3pm flight.

how about we text you our orders and meet you there at 11:05?
  • you could do a big to go order and then skip the line.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    I like @Hook_emHornsfan_74 suggestion although to make the effort within the time frame you have, part of the experience is the line.  Depending on when you get in line here's a data point-I was #30 in line and when the place opened, it took 30 minutes or so to get served.  FWIW-
  • CTMike said:

I do not have a grant on the line, praise Jeebus.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2018
    Tim- that’s doable. 3 hrs door to door assuming no issues. I would assume asswhip traffic on I35- consider yourself fortunate if you don’t hit it. I would leave no later than 2. Make your nieces husband drive so you can sleep. You’ll need it after a belly full of brisket at 11am. I’ve done that same drive twice on Sunday after Franklin. It’s brutal. Lots of red bull 
  • We won't be able to join y'all this time.  Hotch and Shelly are coming down this weekend and we already have a full weekend of cooking planned for the BGEs and Hotch's Shirley.  Y'all have fun and eat and drink LOTS!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

Lucky!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • We won't be able to join y'all this time.  Hotch and Shelly are coming down this weekend and we already have a full weekend of cooking planned for the BGEs and Hotch's Shirley.  Y'all have fun and eat and drink LOTS!
    Oh Yeah- forgot about that. You guys have fun!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I'm around. Let me know and I'll see if I can make it.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago said:
    sweet. sorry- I always forget you are here...since your handle says Chicago :)

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    dmchicago said:
    sweet. sorry- I always forget you are here...since your handle says Chicago :)

Yeah...I'm thinking of starting over but I'd love all 760 epic posts.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • I'm thinking Sunday 11am-ish

1) Styles Switch BBQ (It's awesome, indoors, and has beer)
    http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/pics/

2) Matt's El Rancho (Margarita on the patio and Tex Mex)
    http://mattselrancho.com/

3 Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza- If you haven't' been to Stanley's, you are missing out. Craft beer and Gourmet Pizza on the Grounds of the Jester King Brewery and Taproom. Lots of beer and pizza in the great out-of doors in the ATX
    http://stanleysfarmhousepizza.com/

I love all 3 of these and am open to anything else. Just getting the ball rolling here. 
  • weather looks perfect btw. 57, sunny and calm. Just like now and it is nice out