Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Los Angeles to (Franklin BBQ) Austin Tx - 24 hr Turnaround

Flying out Saturday night into Austin (Via Dallas) with my niece & her husband for the sole purpose of experiencing Franklin BBQ on Sunday - We have a room kinda sort near the restaurant, my intent is to be 1st (or so) in line - does anyone who's been know how early we should get there and have any info and or tips - restrooms, chairs etc ...

Thanks ... I am so excited - Tim 
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Hope you checked if they were open on Sunday...

Have a good time Tim - cool trip.

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    blasting said:

Hope you checked if they were open on Sunday...

Have a good time Tim - cool trip.

I checked they are, I emailed them and asked if Aaron would be there, they said they couldn't guarantee, but if he was he would happily take a picture with us
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Dude you gotta post pictures. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    LOL, 4AM for an 11AM opening. Better you than me. At least you should be guaranteed of getting served. =) 

Write back and tell them you're flying in from CA and Aaron damn well BETTER be there! :rofl:

Enjoy, my friend. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Have a great time. Half hour would be my limit to wait for any restaurant. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Another thought re 4AM, @The Cen-Tex Smoker is probably a good source for what time to get there. Bon chance, bud.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

There’s your Saturday overnight and Sunday morning weather.   Bring a jacket or two SoCal, you’ll be sitting outside.  At least not in the parking lot at that hour.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Legume said:

There’s your Saturday overnight and Sunday morning weather.   Bring a jacket or two SoCal, you’ll be sitting outside.  At least not in the parking lot at that hour.
    More importantly bring beer to warm you up!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @Foghorn - thank you, that really helped.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Happy to help. You have a PM with a pic of Benji so you can recognize him if he is walking around. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrillSgt
    Wow this site is unbelievable. Great info. 
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    So I gots to know, am I lucky?  Err... let us know what you think about it. 
    Near San Francisco in California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    His place has abandoned lawn chairs available (stored outside).  They also open the restaurant to rest-room access for those in line, at least prior to the fire.  If you want to be at the front of the line then 4 AM should do it, the couple of times I have been there (mid-week) I asked and the first in line got there around 5:30-6 AM.  FWIW-
    Another stop definitely worth it is Valentina's.  Every bit as good as Franklin's.  There are a couple of other brisket stops within a mile or two of Franklin's (unless moved in the past year); La Barbeque and Micklethwaite's should time permit.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Man- Have fun. John In Carolina will be in town this weekend- maybe you can rouse him up at 4 to save you a spot at the front of the line :). You need to get there early...7 am should get you toward the front of the line. Bundle up- it’s going to be cold. Aaron is super nice so don’t hesitate letting him know your story. He will sit down with you if he has time and do all the pics etc. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cap is correct- Valentina’s is fantastic, Labarbecue and Mickelthwait are legit as well. If you are a glutton go hit up one of those after Franklin. If it were me, if I were going to wait in that line I would gorge on Franklin and take a nap. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Man- Have fun. John In Carolina will be in town this weekend- maybe you can rouse him up at 4 to save you a spot at the front of the line :). You need to get there early...7 am should get you toward the front of the line. Bundle up- it’s going to be cold. Aaron is super nice so don’t hesitate letting him know your story. He will sit down with you if he has time and do all the pics etc. 
    John or D-Wayne?
  • Legume said:
    Man- Have fun. John In Carolina will be in town this weekend- maybe you can rouse him up at 4 to save you a spot at the front of the line :). You need to get there early...7 am should get you toward the front of the line. Bundle up- it’s going to be cold. Aaron is super nice so don’t hesitate letting him know your story. He will sit down with you if he has time and do all the pics etc. 
    John or D-Wayne?
    JIC 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    WeberWho said:
    Legume said:

More importantly bring beer to warm you up!
    .....or a big ol fat local woman. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalTim said:
    Flying out Saturday night into Austin (Via Dallas) with my niece & her husband for the sole purpose of experiencing Franklin BBQ on Sunday - We have a room kinda sort near the restaurant, my intent is to be 1st (or so) in line - does anyone who's been know how early we should get there and have any info and or tips - restrooms, chairs etc ...

Thanks ... I am so excited - Tim 
    I sent you a PM. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Seems like a great and fun time. What could possibly go wrong?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    Here is what you can look forward too....
    Awwww man, clean up on aisle 6.
  • Just went this a.m. got there at 8 and was number 30 in line. Best brisket, ribs and turkey. Worth the wait. 
  • Bring a cooler for leftovers on the airplane

I went by at 2:30pm today (with a 45 min wait) and there was still a line with only chopped brisket remaining when we got to the front
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    If you have time Ceramic Grill Store is about 45 minutes up I35 from Love Field.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Sounds awesome. I've only got in a line at 4am for Jimmy Buffett tickets when in college. But I'd do it for Franklin's. Post updates please. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

them red hots look amazing.....are they his own???

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC