Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk me into a Blackstone.

Options
I have the itch to get a blackstone but I don’t know why. I’m not even sure what I would cook on it. It’s just like I need one.... what do y’all cook on yours?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bacon!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
     I bought the 22".  Love it!  Smash burgers, breakfast.  Wanting to try stir fry but will have to wait until spring.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Buy one 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Im a country boy that grew up on a farm but I'm gonna have to ask a dumb question. What's the yellow stuff in the first pic?  Grub looks good too by the way. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    It sounds like you need to talk to the Keeper of the Purse.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

Im a country boy that grew up on a farm but I'm gonna have to ask a dumb question. What's the yellow stuff in the first pic?  Grub looks good too by the way. 
    baby corn
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. Bought a 17" one anyway, Nov 2016. Doubt I've used it a dozen times. Last time was August. Sure glad I didn't get a bigger one.

Cooked a pound of bacon on it once or twice. Smashburgers a few times. Might have seared a steak or two. Works okay. That's about it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I have the 36 and all I have cooked is breakfast stuff and fried rice w/ chicken/steak/shrimp and veggies....haven't tried burgers or other stuff yet.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Y’all might have just cost $250... now I just have to figure out what to tell my wife....
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Tbonez3858
    Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Let me try to talk you out of a Blackstone...

I have a 36 and I've not been too happy with it.. The food that comes off of it is great but the griddles design is awful. My unit leans legs are broken (no clue why it's never been moved), it rust if you don't constantly oil it, the grease dump system is garbage and spills grease all over the ground. My grease trap/hanger broke after about a month simply from picking it up and dumping the oil. The weld broke/cracked. The Blackstone cover I bought lasted about a month and a half before it was faded completely white. My BGE cover is still jet black after four years and it's on the same deck with the same level of sunlight.  I would absolutely buy another griddle but it wouldn't be a Blackstone. Quality is not there...

my my neigbor has the same problems with his minus the leaning legs.

*Ive done all of the grease trap fixes outside of using a welder (washer lift on one side, paper clip in the drainage hole, etc, etc)...still leaks all over the ground.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    Keeps the kitchen clean, only thing I do on my stove top is liquids , anything else Blackstone ...from the fancy to a simple chop 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Just do it!  I use mine multiple times a week - very fun to cook on.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No brainer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm like @CarolinaQ

I bought a 17" early this Summer. I have used it only 5 or maybe 6 times. Reason which may not apply to you, but we live in the woods next to a 240 acre wild life preserve and we get coons and many other varmints. My BlackStone is a pita! After using it I have to wait until it has cooled down so that I can clean the top and bring it all inside for storage. Otherwise the coons would dump the grease all over and that would further attract ****-e-roaches from the woods!,
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't waste your money.
    Options
    Oh, I misread that title as "talk me out of a blackstone".  Sorry.  No, they're great.  Buy one if you can afford it.
    Options
    Oh, I misread that title as "talk me out of a blackstone".  Sorry.  No, they're great.  Buy one if you can afford it.
    Quit being sarcastic.  Its unflattering.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sorry
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sorry
    K
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    I’m going to have to hire a professional photographer, pictures on this forum are over the top anymore 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Oh - I forgot something - depending on what you cook on it - but doing burgers for instance let alone bacon - then you need to expect a lot of grease splatters which means you need to think about placement. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh - I forgot something - depending on what you cook on it - but doing burgers for instance let alone bacon - then you need to expect a lot of grease splatters which means you need to think about placement. 
    This is fact.  Greasy foods splatter.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Check out the Camp Chef Flat top #475 for $249. Built much better than a Blackstone
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm like @CarolinaQ

I bought a 17" early this Summer. I have used it only 5 or maybe 6 times. Reason which may not apply to you, but we live in the woods next to a 240 acre wild life preserve and we get coons and many other varmints. My BlackStone is a pita! After using it I have to wait until it has cooled down so that I can clean the top and bring it all inside for storage. Otherwise the coons would dump the grease all over and that would further attract ****-e-roaches from the woods!,
    After looking every ones response. This is what I’m feeling. Nice to have at times but a lot of hassle... probably should wait a little while at least with having a new baby.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use my Blackstone probably 4-5 times a week, and sometimes more!  

Good thing is, in many months, you don't warm your house up or stink it up.  Plus, it's WAY more fun to cook on the Blackstone, than in the house.  Also easier clean up.  

Clean up can be a bear, but that's with anything.  

I like the space and ease of cooking and having the ability to cook a lot if need be.  

Here's some food I've cooked on the BS.  

1 - Udon and SV pork loin

Hatch Green Chile Burger: 

Brisket and mac and cheese sandwich - 

Fried rice - 

Tacos al Pastor with homemade shells

Griddled Romaine salad - 

Peaches with donut hole croutons with vanilla ice cream - 

Mushroom swiss burgers - 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey