Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk me into a Blackstone.

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As seen above any negative is far outweighed by all the positives..... Get you a  Blackstone quickly and make it a 36 if you have the room...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It just depends on what type of cooking you like to do, where you cook, and how often you would use it. A lot of guys here have their griddles under a covered area and that’s a game changer when it comes to maintenance and overall cleanliness. I bought one when it was the it thing to have. I cooked on it some but found that I wasn’t using it as often as I thought I would. It was a lot more upkeep than I wanted considering I didn’t have a covered area to use it and I was cooking for two most times. It was on the deck and that area quickly became a mess. A pop up rain shower here in the South is a common occurrence and if it rained before you got everything cleaned up and the cover on (which sucks by the way), you were screwed. Grease/water everywhere. I started gravitating towards larger cast iron pans that I could clean easier than the griddle.  The CGS wok and ring also gets used pretty often for stir fry, onions etc.  I just like burning lump I guess. 

There are a lot of folks here that love them. I just wanted to point out a few things I ran across during the time I had mine. You’ve got to decide if it’s the right thing for you and your cooking needs. 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I purchased the 36" back in the day when they first hit this board. Also purchased the cover and the attachment to turn it into a grill with the carry bag. Spent a nice bit of coin on everything only to not use it much because it became a bear to pull it out of the garage when I needed it. Also because of the grease trap design, I would put down some commercial rugs underneath so not to stain my cement in the patio. Just recently sold it all off to a friend with a new house and I'm relived I got the garage space back.

Before I sold it, I purchased the the 22" Blackstone from HSN. I didn't want to miss it this time around. So glad I went this way instead. I have it set up on a cut down stainless table purchased from Sam's club along with my BGE MM. Not much room to work with both units on the table, but way better IMO for me. I plan on cutting a cutting board to fit on the 22" griddle so I can at least chop there if needed when not using the 22".
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I know I knocked my 17" last night, but like @r8rs4lf said I also bought both the cover and the carrying bag. Reason was I thought it would be easier to pack and carry on road trips than my MINI egg. Only thing is we have not been able to travel since I bought it. So here I sit with 7 of those green bomb propane tanks and a never used travel bag...but maybe next year... =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know I knocked my 17" last night, but like @r8rs4lf said I also bought both the cover and the carrying bag. Reason was I thought it would be easier to pack and carry on road trips than my MINI egg. Only thing is we have not been able to travel since I bought it. So here I sit with 7 of those green bomb propane tanks and a never used travel bag...but maybe next year... =)
    @RRP, Ron, I have the travel bag too ( but only because it was included with purchase from Cabela's) and never use it. I also bought the cover so I can leave it out in the weather at home. I just put the 17 in the trunk with the cover on when I travel with it. 

"Travel" usually means the 800+ mile round trip to visit my 101 year old mom. Last couple of trips, I took the Akorn Jr and my pressure cooker, but didn't bother with the Blackstone.

The food pics in this thread look wonderful... but I just don't use mine. A skillet is usually plenty for my needs, either on the egg/akorn or on the stovetop.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I resisted getting one for a long time because I wasn't sure I would use it enough. Got a 36 last summer and love it, gets used a couple times a week missed having one at my winter home in Okeechobee FL a Motor Home so not a lot of storage space but plenty of room for  17"! I find the quality to be very good, the grease trap on the 36' sucks but for $25.00 an after market fix works perfect.

I enjoy cooking outside very much.

I still use my BGE's too.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Any ideas why the 22" table top version costs as much as the 28" that has its own standalone cart?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Any ideas why the 22" table top version costs as much as the 28" that has its own standalone cart?
    For the moment I'm guessing that because the 22 is only available from HSN that limits a lot of the price flexibility we see with the other models which are widely available from lots of retailers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Let me try to talk you out of a Blackstone...

I have a 36 and I've not been too happy with it.. The food that comes off of it is great but the griddles design is awful. My unit leans legs are broken (no clue why it's never been moved), it rust if you don't constantly oil it, the grease dump system is garbage and spills grease all over the ground. My grease trap/hanger broke after about a month simply from picking it up and dumping the oil. The weld broke/cracked. The Blackstone cover I bought lasted about a month and a half before it was faded completely white. My BGE cover is still jet black after four years and it's on the same deck with the same level of sunlight.  I would absolutely buy another griddle but it wouldn't be a Blackstone. Quality is not there...

my my neigbor has the same problems with his minus the leaning legs.

*Ive done all of the grease trap fixes outside of using a welder (washer lift on one side, paper clip in the drainage hole, etc, etc)...still leaks all over the ground.
    Where do you live? My 28" BS (and cover) have been out in the Houston heat, humidity, and rain and I haven't had any of the issues you mention. Cut the top off a beer or soda can and stick it under the drain spout. You won't have grease going anywhere but into the can. 

@leemschu - depends on what you want from it. The pics of various cooks above show what can be done. I had guests last spring ( 6 adults, 5 kids) and the BS griddle was lit up for almost every meal for 4 days. I usually use it for weekend cooks (mainly breakfast) - eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage all go on together. Cranks out a load of burgers and is great for stir fry cooks, fried rice, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    @DoubleEgger brings a great point about a covered area, which mine is under, and does make a heck of a difference.

One thing for me too is time. I can whip breakfast up faster than ever as you can have several items going at one time. 

To each his own, I couldn't imagine life without one. 
    Fantastic pictures. We cook on ours as it’s needed - and look for a reason to use it. We love it. 

But, we’re burning through gas. So much that we’re considering a craigslist 100lp tank. Are you refilling your 20 pounder as frequently as us? 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    @DoubleEgger brings a great point about a covered area, which mine is under, and does make a heck of a difference.

One thing for me too is time. I can whip breakfast up faster than ever as you can have several items going at one time. 

To each his own, I couldn't imagine life without one. 
    I do have a half covered patio but I don’t know if it will fit under there with the egg as well. Will the 36 fit through a door? I thought about moving my outdoor freezer and keeping it in my storage room. Don’t know that I will have room to keep it outside since I have a box for the dogs to get on when it’s wet. They would probably start climbing on it. They have rollers correct?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel those are some nice pictures bro and some good looking groceries!  

In regards to my propane consumption.  My brother is the Hank Hill of the town, I rotate (4) 20 lb propane bottles.  I also have two 100lb tanks for my gas logs.  

I go through a lot of propane, but we cook a lot.  

@leemschu I think it would fit through a door if you roll with the narrow end.  There's also guys making metal covers for them that looks great to use.  I also have the surround on mine, which really helps with work space.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm another - bought it but probably didn't need it / don't use it as much as I thought / kinda wish I didn't get it / anyone interested in buying locally? - guy.  I'm also in the 'no roof over my blackstone' camp.

Last summer I rushed to buy a 36" before a family vacation to help cook for 8 adults and 3ish kids and it preformed this task remarkably.  Having 36" makes cooking for this many a breeze, especially breakfast.  Transporting the 36 is a bit cumbersome and ate up a lot of real estate in my vehicle.  

For the rest of the summer I used the griddle a handful of times and, while I really enjoy cooking on it, it's a bit bigger than I need and the cleanup process is annoying.  I didn't like the idea of using up half a roll of paper towels every time I fired up the blackstone so I picked up a 5 pack of cheap towels from Walmart which works pretty well until I end up with a pile of greasy rags that don't seem to get fully clean in the washer (anyone have suggestions here?).

All that said, last year was an off year for outdoor cooking for me as I spent a lot of time helping to manage my newborn daughter (born in April) and puppy.  We are adding a fence to our backyard this year which should really help with the dog and allow me to spend more time cooking.  As the number of mouths I need to feed increases I think the blackstone will become more valuable.

EDIT:
    Regarding storage, I use the folding table method that a few others on here use.  I also put a tarp over top of the folding table and secure the tarp with a strap or two.  I haven't taken the table/tarp off in a month or two, I'm afraid of what I may find...
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Not to hijack but what about this? Kettle Q
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    well...if what you have seen so far does not tickle your fancy, I certainly don't have anything that will. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I (now after Christmas) own two. In honesty, neither is a Blackstone. First is a CampChef I used for camping. Liked it so much there I set it up on the front porch. Family loves smash burgers and Cheesesteaks. Also use it for big breakfasts and fried rice.

Son works at Bass Pro so he got me a new one for Xmas. Bigger, less portable. When weather improves it will find it's way out to the deck by the egg. No report on it yet and no comparison to a Blackstone.

Use it about once a week and wife appreciates the lack of mess in the kitchen. I find it easy to cook on and the care is pretty easy plus it has added some variety to my cooks.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Get whatever griddle you want. I cook, quick clean and scrape it with water, turn it off and we eat. By that time it has cooled enough to put the cover on. Done. By far and away the easiest way to cook. 
    Like Cali, mine is out on an open deck, just the BS cover over empty milk jugs so water does not pool. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Once you get one, then you may have to take the big leap
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Is there an OT section for recipes for this thing?  Due to posts on this forum I now have the 17" version (generally only cooking for 2).  However 99% of the recipes seem to be missing most of the useful instructions.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Be the ball. Don't think Do. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Nice rig!