Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Fried Chicken

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great! What do you guys use for breading?
    I used AP flour with a buttermilk dredge (flour, buttermilk, flour again). They recommend pastry flour because it has a higher protein content. Higher protein = crispier but he ap was plenty crispy and I had it in stock. 

Here is the approximate protein content of all the common types of flour:

Bread Flour: 14 - 16%
    All-Purpose (AP) Flour: 10 - 12%
    Pastry Flour: 9%
    Cake Flour: 7-8%

Options
    Looks good.  I might try that.  My problem with frying chicken is the crust overcooks and gets dark as hell.
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Looks like a nice little CHRISTmas present fer the ole lady!!!  Thanks fer posting!  Just ordered one along with a hard case from Amazon!  Get it by the 21st!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Looks great! What do you guys use for breading?  I haven't tried it yet, but I LOVE Munchos chips and always thought if I crunched them up and used them, they'd be awesome!!!  I will be trying it when we get everything set up!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Nice!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Sheeee-it dude, that is heaven to a man from Kentucky.
    I will do this and surprise My Beautiful Wife.
    Thank you for posting. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For extra crunch, try adding some rice flour to the second flour dunk step. We do this when deep frying some things and it turns out great. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No self respecting southerner would ever try this method......JKOC. looks excellent.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Just needs a little Nashville Hot Chicken Slurry!!!  :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Interesting, and most awesome, cook. Looks like perfection to me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    For extra crunch, try adding some rice flour to the second flour dunk step. We do this when deep frying some things and it turns out great. 
    How much? 50/50? 30% rice flour? mas? menos?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    How much? 50/50? 30% rice flour? mas? menos?
    Not that much. Maybe 1-2 TBSP per cup of flour.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking Thanks you sir.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just needs a little Nashville Hot Chicken Slurry!!!  :)
    I had it on the side. Texas Pete’s and fried chicken were made for each other. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Looks good.  I might try that.  My problem with frying chicken is the crust overcooks and gets dark as hell.
    This fixes that for sure. Essentially you are only going by color for doneness so you can pull it exactly when you want. The texture of the meat was awesome too. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I had it on the side. Texas Pete’s and fried chicken were made for each other. 
    The hipper places around here use harissa as a fried chicken sauce, and it is awesome.  You might recall that the merguez from AW/SS3 used harissa as well.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-harissa-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-190188

I plan on making a bucketful of the stuff early next year and putting on everything.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks great! What do you guys use for breading?
    I used AP flour with a buttermilk dredge (flour, buttermilk, flour again). They recommend pastry flour because it has a higher protein content. Higher protein = crispier but he ap was plenty crispy and I had it in stock. 

Here is the approximate protein content of all the common types of flour:

Bread Flour: 14 - 16%
    All-Purpose (AP) Flour: 10 - 12%
    Pastry Flour: 9%
    Cake Flour: 7-8%

Itha is for posting that. I just went back and watched it again to make sure I heard him correctly  and sho-nuff he said pastry flour is “higher protein”. It is, in fact, lower protein so he had that wrong. 

He said “higher protein = crispier and crunchier, lower protein = softer/soggier” That may be correct but in this case, the pastry flour I used was very crispy so not sure what to think about his take on that. 

ill try again with bread or AP this week and post the results here. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Awesome.  I've done this a few times and it's the best fried chicken I've had. 

One of the times I did a buttermilk/salt brine overnight, and rinsed off the buttermilk before the SV.  I don't think it added much if anything beyond just salting the chicken and doing the SV. 

I have only used AP flour and it turns out well.  For extra crunch I do buttermilk/dredge/buttermilk/dredge.  Cooks illustrated or alton brown had that idea, I think.  By the end there's enough extra schmutz in the dredge that a single dredge picks up enough coating though.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Made this last night it was great! I did the extra crunch version. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Boiling fried chicken? My grandma is rolling in her grave! 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Been thinking about this since you posted it. I just might try this for chicken fried pork chops tonight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That crust looks on point. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Been thinking about this since you posted it. I just might try this for chicken fried pork chops tonight.

It works great for things like that. I did a chicken fried SV ribeye when I first got my SVS. It was really weird to have a med rare chicken fried steak. I've also had chicken fried SV beef rib at a restaurant. That was pretty spectacular as well. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    texaswig said:
    That crust looks on point. 

it was good and crispy
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Ok we are sold.  Will put this in next weeks rotation.  
    BTW we marinated, then sous vide a shirt steak and  seared on egg and it beat the non sous vide one that was just marinated.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Just started the process for dinner tonight. I’ve never fried chicken before, so wish me luck. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • reinhart36
    Options
    We tried this a couple of days ago, and we were amazed at the goodness.  Thanks for posting this method!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @DMW tell me about that gravy. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @johnnyp - Some of the fry oil, seasoned (salt, Aleppo pepper, paprika) flour from the dredging, bag juices from the chops, and milk.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker