Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimum lump inventory comfort level?

Options

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @RRP you are hardcore on your lump 
  • Thomasc18
    Options
    My wife is going crazy at my current inventory now. I couldn’t imagine what she would do it I had some of yours. Right now I’m at 4 3/4bags of Rockwood, 1bag Fogo, and 1bag BGE lump that I got free with purchase of new XL. 
    Madison, AL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @RRP you are hardcore on your lump 
    Oooops - back then having a stash of low priced lump at those prices has gone UP UP and AWAY and has paid off better than investments in my 401K... 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Thomasc18 - I assure you it's not the quantity, it's how the space you claim can be measured against her closet space.  In my eggsperience, as long as that ratio is within acceptable limits then you are free to go.  AKA can she get her car into the garage without commenting (forum decorum here) about your real-estate??  If there then it's time to carefully and with full understanding of the down-side push the envelope.  ;)  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    I just received 50lbs. Of wood chunks from fruita, does that count
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Woodchunk I'm not the arbiter but anything that takes up space and has a weighted use with the BGE qualifies.  Cutting to the chase...He!! yes-that's a great re-stock.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Trust me - I'm NOT trying to out do ANYBODY! And what I'm about to repeat can be verified if you want to look back at my very old posts on this subject on this forum and the original green egg forum.

When I purchased our first BGE in the summer of 2000 the dealer at that time had no concept of having lump in inventory. I purchased his last two bags as I recall. At that time NO businesses in our community carried lump much less knew what lump charcoal was. Needless to say 40 pounds did NOT last me very long! It was a long several months before the dip-wad dealer ordered another pallet that Spring! Yes I said PALLET and SPRING!

By then the dealer had sold his business...but anyway I swore I would NEVER EVER be caught without a supply of lump on hand! That goal/threshold soon became 700-750 pounds! YES - you read that correctly!!!

When I would get down to just 500 pounds on hand I would nearly panic and run screaming out of the house like a druggie looking for a fix!!!

Eventually after lump was more readily available PLUS I would get harassed about this hoarding condition I relaxed and my new threshold got down to 500 pounds and I'm trying to reduce it to 400 or maybe less...

Tonight I just went out to take an inventory and I see I'm down to 420, AND I am TRYING to stay home.

oooops - I forgot to mention I still have this stash in my trunk that SWMBO doesn't know about! After all...a guy has to have ballast in his car in the Winter driving conditions doesn't he? 

I love everything about this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I always have at least 5 bags of lump on hand. Royal Oak and Rockwood. I also have a few bags of Kingsford briquets and some Stubbs briquets for the Weber all the time. I could use those in a pinch for the Egg. When I catch a sale I buy more than I need, though. A sale is a sale! I have many sources to buy emergency lump in the local area. So stocking up is really not needed. But I always feel comfortable with more than needed on hand for most things.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    2. Store is about 5 miles away. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I have 12 bags currently and only buy Rockwood when it’s on sale. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I  use 15 - 30 lbs/month.  I like having 1 unopened bag in reserve so I reorder when I open the next to last bag.  I'll buy 10+ bags if it is a good deal. Otherwise I'm fine ordering a few bags of Rockwood or Fogo at a time as needed.  Plus I grab a bag on sale/coupon at ACE to supplement online orders.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    400lbs +/-20. 

One thing I was NOT worried about when Harvey hit, was how to cook food or boil water for drinking. 
    So you CAN boil on an egg! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    This might be the best Lump post ever. I have learned a lot about all of you (some are nuts but I love it).  

I have 2 bags of RO, my Home Deport is on the way home and they usually have it. When I last got some I ordered 6 bags and thought that was enough...  Didn't last very long.  If I came home with 20 bags my wife would kill me. She was "understanding" last week when I came home with my 3rd Egg. If the corner of the garage was filled with lump she might have me taken away in a straight jacket.

That being said, when done typing I am going online and ordering more RO from Home Depot for pickup tomorrow...

Thanks for posting  =)
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• g8golfer
    Options
    @stlcharcoal is that a real DeLorean? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very cool @stlcharcoal!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I could use a pallet or two @stlcharcoal
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I tried to take stock. 

RW= 18 bags
    OO= 2 bags
    Fogo= 6 bags
    RO = 1 bag
    BGE= 1 bag
    Central Market= 2 bags
    B&B= 2 bags
    Briqs= 7 bags (Kroger brand + Stubbs. Both are good briqs).

I couldn't see a few bags, and wasn't in the mood to move sh*t around to get to them.

That puts me at about 697lbs of lump (maybe another 60lbs or so in there somewhere) plus about 100lbs of briqs. 

No twitches for now, but if SWMBO leaves me, I may have an idea why. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @DMW & @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I was wondering how long it would take for y'all to catch that :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    After that show from @stlcharcoal anyone of us can now default to  "see I'm not nearly like this guy" argument.  Of course, I doubt you will win any points but at least you have some evidence.  ;)  Good luck!
  • DoubleEgger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    caliking said:

That puts me at about 697lbs of lump (maybe another 60lbs or so in there somewhere) plus about 100lbs of briqs. 

If the wifey says anything to me about what I’m doing egg related, I simply remind her that she’s welcome to take over the cooking duties. Problem solved. 
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    With 2 Ace stores 5 minutes away going east or west, stockpiling lump is not anything that crosses my mind. I have enough worries in.my little mind , I don't need lump shortage adding to the list!
    Have some of you considered counseling ? 
    Are you compensating for something else ?
    Just kidding guys ! To each their own, for me it is 2 bags.
    Setting my back fence on fire a few years ago and the Mrs. defoliating a
    tree with gas a few years back, my neighbors are thankful for my limited stockpile of flammable material on.hand .
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Yep, had it since 1999.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I get nervous when I’m down to 150 pounds or so. I like to keep 1 1/2 cords of wood ready as well. And at least a couple of bags of briquets.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    With 2 Ace stores 5 minutes away going east or west, stockpiling lump is not anything that crosses my mind. I have enough worries in.my little mind , I don't need lump shortage adding to the list!
    Have some of you considered counseling ? 
    Are you compensating for something else ?
    Just kidding guys ! To each their own, for me it is 2 bags.
    Setting my back fence on fire a few years ago and the Mrs. defoliating a
    tree with gas a few years back, my neighbors are thankful for my limited stockpile of flammable material on.hand .
    Like I mentioned, I buy it when it’s on sale and stock up. It’s not going to rot and it’s dang sure not getting any cheaper. I never pay full price. Ever. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    @stlcharcoal then I’m in the wrong business. Charcoal business must be booming if you rolling around in a DeLorena. Bad A$$.  =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Yep, had it since 1999.  
    You win!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have only 3.5 bags of RW in my garage....and a Honda Civic. Where did I go wrong?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @stlcharcoal then I’m in the wrong business. Charcoal business must be booming if you rolling around in a DeLorena. Bad A$$.  =)
    That was long before charcoal.....and it hasn't been driven in many years.  :(
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    caliking said:
    I tried to take stock. 

RW= 18 bags
    OO= 2 bags
    Fogo= 6 bags
    RO = 1 bag
    BGE= 1 bag
    Central Market= 2 bags
    B&B= 2 bags
    Briqs= 7 bags (Kroger brand + Stubbs. Both are good briqs).

I couldn't see a few bags, and wasn't in the mood to move sh*t around to get to them.

Hmmmm, I see you still have 2 bags of OO (that's Ozark Oak to newbies). I just went out to verify and I still have 8 bags or 80 pounds of a never again to be produced premium lump. That's a fact until Rockwood came along so thanks to Jonathan!

I'm still waiting for the PBS show of Antique Roadshow to have some OO on there to tell me what our stash is worth! I'm not burning any until I see. =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.