Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimum lump inventory comfort level?

Options
Prompted by another thread comment but going into winter (northern hemisphere) what is the minimum quantity of lump you are good with?  I have set the Rockwood low-level alarm at around 100-120lbs but that's not driven by a supply issue.  We can get Rockwood year-round now thanks to @stlcharcoal (and could thru firecraft until they dropped the ball and his company filled the void).  That number has not moved even with the addition of alternate fuel consuming toys.  Always nice to gaze into the storage area and see many bags of Rockwood.  BTW- I can't recall the last time I hit the low-level alarm.  
Comments?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I keep 1 bag at a time. Local Ace is on my way home from work. I admire ppl that keep a lot of lump but never really understood why unless you catch it on sale. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm with you Frank.  5 bags left is when I get "twitchy".  Got supply 20% off 2 months ago.  18 bags of RW in my inventory.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'm not egging more than 2-3 times a week and even less in the winter so I don't start sweating until I crack open the second to last bag. I've also never stocked more than 10 bags at any one time.
    Stillwater, MN
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm with you Frank.  5 bags left is when I get "twitchy".  Got supply 20% off 2 months ago.  18 bags of RW in my inventory.
    Wow 18 bags? 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    bgebrent said:
    Wow 18 bags? 
    He has a lot of time to direct Nichole's cooking being that he works 3 days a week. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I wait for a sale, then buy a reasonable amount.  I live 5 mins from an Ace, so I typically don’t get urgent until my second to last bag.

speaking of a sale, Groupon had a $30 for $12 (after promo code) at my local ace.  Looking forward to combining that with the $10 off ace coupon.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have been trying to use up my supply. I had around 3-400 pounds at one point and decided it was too much. I have probably 200 lbs in the garage attic right now but am gonna start keeping it at 100 or less once I burn through some. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    1/2 a bag.

I can always buy a bag of Cowboy pretty much anywhere as there never seems to be a shortage of it in the stores (my Lowe's has 33 bags on hand at the moment).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    All out of Rockwood so burning up the KJ from Costco that has been sitting in the garage all summer. Currently have 4 bags. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I vary between 6 to 12 bags. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    As near as I can tell it doesn't spoil and sometimes you can get a pallet deal ( @YukonRon) and then just never deal with immediacy of the issue.  Just did my own count and I have 16 20 lb bags of Rockwood and 3 30 lb Bags of the Kamado Joe Costco Roadshow lump.  
    Perhaps a behavior similar to a woman and a shoe store??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    1/4 of a bag. Stop by the Ace on the way home if I need to. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As near as I can tell it doesn't spoil and sometimes you can get a pallet deal ( @YukonRon) and then just never deal with immediacy of the issue.  Just did my own count and I have 16 20 lb bags of Rockwood and 3 30 lb Bags of the Kamado Joe Costco Roadshow lump.  
    Perhaps a behavior similar to a woman and a shoe store??  
    Most women.  Not @DoubleEgger's much better half.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This thread is great, because when World War Three starts, I’ll know where to go.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    This thread is great, because when World War Three starts, I’ll know where to go.
    I'll buy extra lump, if you'll bring papusas and chocolate pots. 

And booze. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I buy it on sale during Memorial, Fourth of July, and Labor Day sales. I buy a year worth. Right now I have about a years worth of royal oak, and several bags of the natural Kingsford for my Weber’s. I haven’t added it up, but it’s probably 300+ lbs in the garage attic. 
  • etherdome
    Options
    I buy 10 at time because my local Ace cuts me a deal when I buy in “bulk”.  When I get to last bag I call them up and have them order 10 more. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'll buy extra lump, if you'll bring papusas and chocolate pots. 

And booze. 
    Maybe we’ll get lucky and WW3 will break out in the middle of NCBB3.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I would get nervous with 1 bag left because I would probably forget about it until I was ready to cook.  Plenty of options here.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    400lbs +/-20. 

One thing I was NOT worried about when Harvey hit, was how to cook food or boil water for drinking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You're welcome here any time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I've always tried to keep about 7 bags on hand. 

I don't need to dedicate that much space now with more online options.  From now on I'm going to order 3 more when I get down to two on hand.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Trust me - I'm NOT trying to out do ANYBODY! And what I'm about to repeat can be verified if you want to look back at my very old posts on this subject on this forum and the original green egg forum.

When I purchased our first BGE in the summer of 2000 the dealer at that time had no concept of having lump in inventory. I purchased his last two bags as I recall. At that time NO businesses in our community carried lump much less knew what lump charcoal was. Needless to say 40 pounds did NOT last me very long! It was a long several months before the dip-wad dealer ordered another pallet that Spring! Yes I said PALLET and SPRING!

By then the dealer had sold his business...but anyway I swore I would NEVER EVER be caught without a supply of lump on hand! That goal/threshold soon became 700-750 pounds! YES - you read that correctly!!!

When I would get down to just 500 pounds on hand I would nearly panic and run screaming out of the house like a druggie looking for a fix!!!

Eventually after lump was more readily available PLUS I would get harassed about this hoarding condition I relaxed and my new threshold got down to 500 pounds and I'm trying to reduce it to 400 or maybe less...

Tonight I just went out to take an inventory and I see I'm down to 420, AND I am TRYING to stay home.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Usually order 3 bags at a time from firecraft and now from DeLorean man.  I am comfortable going down to opening my last bag before ordering.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    It's been a while since I've ran low. I've been fortunate to split (3) 1/2 pallets of lump the last few years
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm currently at 20 big bags of RO and 10 big bags of K.  1.5 bags of OO, 1 of Ono, 2 Wicked, 10 of Comp K, couple of Center Cuts, couple of Rancher briqs.
    I like to stock up during the Holiday sales.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:
    400lbs +/-20. 

One thing I was NOT worried about when Harvey hit, was how to cook food or boil water for drinking. 
    Wait, you mean you can boil water in the egg?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Half a bag. My local Ace is less than half a mile away on the edge of my subdivision. They carry Rockwood as well as that C lump that shall not be named. At one time they carried Wicked.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    Trust me - I'm NOT trying to out do ANYBODY! And what I'm about to repeat can be verified if you want to look back at my very old posts on this subject on this forum and the original green egg forum.

When I purchased our first BGE in the summer of 2000 the dealer at that time had no concept of having lump in inventory. I purchased his last two bags as I recall. At that time NO businesses in our community carried lump much less knew what lump charcoal was. Needless to say 40 pounds did NOT last me very long! It was a long several months before the dip-wad dealer ordered another pallet that Spring! Yes I said PALLET and SPRING!

By then the dealer had sold his business...but anyway I swore I would NEVER EVER be caught without a supply of lump on hand! That goal/threshold soon became 700-750 pounds! YES - you read that correctly!!!

When I would get down to just 500 pounds on hand I would nearly panic and run screaming out of the house like a druggie looking for a fix!!!

Eventually after lump was more readily available PLUS I would get harassed about this hoarding condition I relaxed and my new threshold got down to 500 pounds and I'm trying to reduce it to 400 or maybe less...

Tonight I just went out to take an inventory and I see I'm down to 420, AND I am TRYING to stay home.

oooops - I forgot to mention I still have this stash in my trunk that SWMBO doesn't know about! After all...a guy has to have ballast in his car in the Winter driving conditions doesn't he? 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.