Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sausage making questions/tips

Options
Hello All,

I am going to make some sausage for the first time, we have a pretty good supply store in town so I plan on hitting up there but just a couple rookie questions in the mean time:

Can you use BBQ rub as a seasoning mix? What would be the pro/cons about it?
Do most people buy prepackage spice mixtures or make their own?
and was wondering if anyone could share some beginner tips or recipes?

Thanks!

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This will provide you with a solid foundation for you to start with:

https://smile.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Salting-Smoking-Revised-Updated-ebook/dp/B00CF2MBB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512480005&sr=8-1&keywords=ruhlman's+charcuterie

It will give you some of the science behind curing meats and some basic recipes to get started. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Paging sausagemeister @20stone

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You can use anything you like , but account for the salt in the seasoning......best advice I have 

Pork shoulder + another .25 lb hard fat or pork jowel per pound if pork

2% salt per pumd of pork ( 2% is my sweet spot) you can go +-

1 cup ice cold water per 5 pounds of meat

Hit your salt and water % the rest is seasoning however you like 

Mix to extract myosin , your primary bind, otherwise you have ground meat in a casing...

Keep everything cold cold cold

@20stone may chime in, these are my basic musts 

Pick a basic one to start, dimple ingredients ..salt red pepper flakes and fennel ...enjoy the ride 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^ @20stone  post.....most of all I have found it to be a favorite kitchen hobby. Once you have made it learn the art of cooking it, they like i t low and slow and not over a blazing fire, you will render out all the fat and juiciness you worked so hard to get
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^ @20stone  post.....most of all I have found it to be a favorite kitchen hobby. Once you have made it learn the art of cooking it, they like i t low and slow and not over a blazing fire, you will render out all the fat and juiciness you worked so hard to get
    Agreed.  I will reedit my post to include that, so it's all in one place
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Be sure meat is cold when grinding and do not under any circumstances add more spices than recipe calls for

Also be sure casings are soaked in water and pour a few drops of evoo in the tube younput the casings on in order to keep things smooth...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    20stone said:
    • Post grinding mix - That "use your paddle mixer" step in most recipes to make the sausage sticky after grinding is critical (and one we skipped the first few times to our chagrin).  We normally do it by hand in a big bowl or tub, since I haven't yet purchased a commercial stand mixer.  By hand works fine, and mix it until a golf ball-sized gob sticks to your palm upside down.

This makes me smile. Can't wait to see you add a beast of a mixer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • danguba78
    danguba78 Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This site, http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making,   has a ton of useful info and recipes.  
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • Verndog
    Options
    You might find this post helpful as well as these excellent tips.  Even includes a recipe.  Good Luck and please post your results!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209806/sausage-fest-making-croatian-kobasice-smoked-sausages-with-bge-ar

• gregroscoe
    Options

Mixing well is another critical step. It seems if its not mixed well enough the texture is not right.  I happen to have a monster old school drill like this.  We used a stainless steel mud paddle with it.  It works great but you need a serious drill. My Milwaukee corded 1/2 drill got hot in just a few minutes.

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD

• 20stone
    Options
    A couple more simple tips (most eating patties related):
    • Cook a patty of your sausage in a skillet (or, if you are in my driveway, over the firebox of a Karubeque) before you stuff it.  That way, if you forget something, you have a shot of fixing it before you go to all the trouble of stuffing
    • You can drive yourself nuts getting that last bit out of the stuffer into the casing.  Just yank it out of the stuffer and use the handle of a wooden spoon to get it out, and toss it in a "Chef's Treats" tub with all the other ones you make that day.... and cook those Chef Treats in a skillet
    • Alternatively, if you are making another batch of sausage (perhaps a different recipe), don't worry about cleaning out the tube.  Just put the next mix on top and know you will have some combo links for the first couple.
    • Occasionally you will have casings burst, and you can drive yourself nuts putting that sausage back in the stuffer and squeezing out one more link.  If you loose a link to a broken casing, just tie off both ends and put the sausage in the Chef's (or Chefs', depending) Treats tub...etc.
    This is supposed to be fun

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    DMW said:
    20stone said:
    • Post grinding mix - That "use your paddle mixer" step in most recipes to make the sausage sticky after grinding is critical (and one we skipped the first few times to our chagrin).  We normally do it by hand in a big bowl or tub, since I haven't yet purchased a commercial stand mixer.  By hand works fine, and mix it until a golf ball-sized gob sticks to your palm upside down.

We all know its just a matter of time...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    DMW said:
    20stone said:

We all know its just a matter of time...

I love that he buys and stores all the heavy stuff. You do not want to get caught stealing from @20stones garage. he does not call 911 and your body will never be found. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    Options
    @20stone @The Cen-Tex Smoker

What grinder do you guys use? I am looking at buying the LEM #22, but would like some feedback before the purchase. Thanks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    I have had a hard time with my sausage having a good "snap" in the casing. I've been using hog casings from butcher packer. I dry the sausages out in the fridge overnight after stuffing.  Have to cook them slow so they don't split (either braise or bake at 300 degrees before grilling). Do older casings have an issue with snap? Thinking mine might be close to their end date.

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I have found that longer soak time for the casings is better. I had a batch that the instructions said half hour soak and the texture just wasn't right after cooking. 
    I start soaking the night before now, with one or two water changes. 

Steve
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    @Mike, I'm a neophyte also, have made sausage twice, posted here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161598/sausage-making-second-attempt#latest
    (my first experience is linked in the first paragraph).  

I now have an LEM sausage stuffer, but haven't yet used it, one of my projects for this coming winter.  What equipment are you using for grinding, and for stuffing?  They make a big difference, as I found out above.  
    Good luck, and post your experience!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lkapigian
    Options
    @CanadianAnvil @Carolina Q are your casings dry packed in salt or a salt brine? Dry packed can benefit from a very long soak , the ones I get are in a brine. I may flush and soak an hour or so...these things last forever so don't think its a shelf life issue ( unless you've had them forever) mine never see direct heat, o,my indirect , cook to an IT 155 to 160 and they pop just fine...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @CanadianAnvil @Carolina Q are your casings dry packed in salt or a salt brine? Dry packed can benefit from a very long soak , the ones I get are in a brine. I may flush and soak an hour or so...these things last forever so don't think its a shelf life issue ( unless you've had them forever) mine never see direct heat, o,my indirect , cook to an IT 155 to 160 and they pop just fine...
    You have the wrong @CarolinaQ (no space). @The_Buffalo was asked to change the pretender's name a couple of months ago, but I guess it hasn't happened yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    The ones I get are dry packed in salt, I get them a Hank at a time. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    You have the wrong @CarolinaQ (no space). @The_Buffalo was asked to change the pretender's name a couple of months ago, but I guess it hasn't happened yet.
    My bad sir...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    The ones I get are dry packed in salt, I get them a Hank at a time. 
    I'm curious, on the dry packed...what they call a hank...how much are you really getting . a hank ( I be live ) is 100 yards which is every bit what I get, I see some youtube vids where people are saying a hank for 25 pounds ...I get closer to 100 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    Options
    CTMike said:
    What grinder do you guys use? I am looking at buying the LEM #22, but would like some feedback before the purchase.
    I have what I thought was a big grinder.  It turns out that my LEM #8 is the #22's little brother. I am very happy with the #8, and don't know that I would want too much bigger.  However, that could really crank out tonnage if you have the room, and the back to lift it. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • CTMike
    Options
    20stone said:
    CTMike said:
    What grinder do you guys use? I am looking at buying the LEM #22, but would like some feedback before the purchase.
    I have what I thought was a big grinder.  It turns out that my LEM #8 is the #22's little brother. I am very happy with the #8, and don't know that I would want too much bigger.  However, that could really crank out tonnage if you have the room, and the back to lift it. 
    Thanks for the insight. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @CTMike, I have the LEM 12 Big Bite and its a beast and handles anything I've thrown at it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    20stone said:
    CTMike said:
    Thanks for the insight guys, guess I will save myself a little money and get the #12. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    #12 Big Bite and 20# Motorized Stuffer ...takes up some space

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help!