Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First real cook on the XXL - Ribs and Chicken

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Last weekend's hot dogs don't really count on my scorecard. Invited the neighbors over for chicken and ribs. 

Started with a rack of SLC spares from Costco:

Had a shaker with some Meadow Creek Gourmet BBQ rub. Their rubs tend to be a bit too salty for ribs, so I cut it with fine ground coffee, honey powder and paprika and on the XXL.

After a couple hours, dome temp was reading ~ 300*. However, the ribs didn't look like they were cooking that high, so I got my Maverick out to see what the grid temp. As I suspected, quite a variance between dome and grid.

Glare makes it hard to see, but grid was 268* and dome was 310*, which was good. My end goal was based on 250*-275* cooking temp, not 300*

A bit later, I added the chicken:

I did fix the drip pan so it was centered after taking the photo.

Since the XL was idle and temps were good for cold smoking, put the AMPS in the XL

And then loaded it up with almonds

Then I decided to fool around with where I might want to put an outdoor TV.  

Still haven't decided for sure, but I think it might end up in the far corner rather than between the windows.

Baked the bread that had been rising and proofing, used the kitchen clock for this.

Ribs finished about an hour and a half before they were needed:

In for FTC while the chicken finished.

Then I decided to move the fire pit on the patio to see how I liked it there

Made for a pleasant afternoon, had a few beers watching football and staying warm. Pretty awesome weather here in PA for December.

Chicken finished up pretty much right on schedule and got the ribs out of the cooler.

Also made a pan of Costco Mac and Cheese

Ribs:

The rub combo was really good. Not sure I'll be able to get the proportions the same again if I try though.

Chicken breast was nice and moist:

Rub for the chicken was a mix of the rub I used for the ribs and Montreal Chicken. No way I get that the same, and that's a shame, it was great.

Pulled the almonds off the XL and put on some Jarlsberg cheese:

To cap it off, my neighbor brought an espresso stout his brother brought him from Oregon. Never had it before, but it was a pretty decent stout, I'd buy it if I saw it in a store.

I know, I know, I could have done the chicken and ribs on the XL, but I just wanted to fire the XXL and give it a go. The temp variance between the dome and grid even after a few hours of cooking was interesting. Pretty sure the dome temp on this thing is useless. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to even out completely. With this much air volume, not sure it will ever even out.

Also found out that having a fire pit on the patio is probably not workable. The smoke from the fire pit finds its way in the basement via the fireplace vent. The entire basement now smells like cherry smoke. I don't really mind, but my wife seems to think this is not a good thing. I think I'll look out for a deal on a propane fire table. 

Anyway, it was fun finally putting the XXL to work, after sitting in the garage since June.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Simply outstanding Dwayne. Amazing cooking. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great post - you were busy playing today!

Phoenix 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Looks awesome Dwayne. Something to think about - when I was going through the health department permitting process it was stressed over and over again that chicken must absolutely be cooked on the lowest level, nothing may be below due to Salmonella concerns, etc. FWIW.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Looks awesome Dwayne. Something to think about - when I was going through the health department permitting process it was stressed over and over again that chicken must absolutely be cooked on the lowest level, nothing may be below due to Salmonella concerns, etc. FWIW.
    Agree, that's why I had the drip pan in between. If I was cooking to serve to the public, I wouldn't even trust a drip pan. But I made sure there was no way the chicken drippings could land on the ribs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    DMW said:
    CTMike said:
    Agree, that's why I had the drip pan in between. If I was cooking to serve to the public, I wouldn't even trust a drip pan. But I made sure there was no way the chicken drippings could land on the ribs.
    Stupid me not to notice that big freakin' drip pan.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options
    It doesn't need to make sense to fire up the XXL. Too many other rules in life to worry about. Have fun with that thing. Even if it's for a few more hotdogs. I feel the same way with my offset. Way more space than I need for a few mouths but if it puts a smile on your face it's worth it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Holy sheeaht son you b busy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Beautiful. I was wondering when you was going to fire the XXL up? 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    It doesn't need to make sense to fire up the XXL. Too many other rules in life to worry about. Have fun with that thing. Even if it's for a few more hotdogs. I feel the same way with my offset. Way more space than I need for a few mouths but if it puts a smile on your face it's worth it!
    Amen brother. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice lookin' spread, looked like a fun day all around.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for yippee ki yay gif

Yippee Ki Ay, mthafcka
    Options
    Seriously, looks good D-wyane-dawg
    Options
    Bombdiggity!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    How many people do you feed over there? Good lord that All looks great! 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Excellent.   Those ribs look so small on that beast of an egg!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    When do you host the next eggfest there   looks like you are ready
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    That rack of ribs looks lonely. There’s no way I would have the restraint necessary to only cook the amount of food that was truly needed. 

Great cook. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX