Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Standard Deduction, or Itemized Deductions

2»

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @bgebrentwe may have the same accountant? 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    I do whatever circumstances warrant. If family has over $12,700 in deductions then we itemize. If not, we happily take the standard. Honestly there really  is no decision here. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    I tell my Jewish-Italian accountant to take care of it. No idea how long until sentencing. 
    It will be big. You are being closely watched after that intentional boat number scheme and obvious slight of hand moves with your alleged cooks. Be careful....be very very careful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’m not sure I learned much except @DoubleEgger is a first class, well, you know. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    edited October 2017
    I’m not sure I learned much except @DoubleEgger is a first class, well, you know. 
    Just responding to yet another ignorant statement by Ron. 

Everyone who itemizes isn't drowning in debt as Ron implied.  That's simply an ignorant statement. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I try not to take exception to the comments made occasionally in this room, as I never can be certain whether they be in jest, or real.
    However, should this comment be derogatory, I will do so now.
    First of all, you are making a baseless and moronic assumption about @DoubleEgger.
    I know Michael. He is first class in a manner you can't possibly understand.
    He is amongst the first to help out in any cause, and provides practical, logical information to those in need.
    You want to call somebody a first class ass hole, you start with me. I deserve it on every level you got.
    Michael does nether care about or need opinions from you about him.
    You are wrong here.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    I will be looking for the drama edition of turbo tax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Woodchunk said:
    I have every version released. I especially enjoy the action/thriller series which absolved you from any tax liability and calls you a hero when printed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    YukonRon said:
    Woodchunk said:
    I have every version released. I especially enjoy the action/thriller series which absolved you from any tax liability and calls you a hero when printed.
    My personal favorite are the historical period pieces.  It sends me all of your taxes.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Suffice to say several years ago I had to file a petition in the US Tax Court and eventually involve my congressman to reach a settlement with the IRS.  Yes, it was quite a ride.  Since I have paid interest and interest on penalties I feel I have done my part for the debt.  
    Just do whatever to keep what you deserve.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon said:
    I try not to take exception to the comments made occasionally in this room, as I never can be certain whether they be in jest, or real.
    First of all, you are making a baseless and moronic assumption about @DoubleEgger.
    He is amongst the first to help out in any cause, and provides practical, logical information to those in need.
    You want to call somebody a first class ass hole, you start with me. I deserve it on every level you got.
    You are wrong here.
    Peace.
    I would like to agree with most of this post but disagree with two sentences in the middle.  That does not appear to be an option.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    lousubcap said:
    Suffice to say several years ago I had to file a petition in the US Tax Court and eventually involve my congressman to reach a settlement with the IRS.  Yes, it was quite a ride.  Since I have paid interest and interest on penalties I feel I have done my part for the debt.  
    Just do whatever to keep what you deserve.  
    I tried arguing with HMRC here about their interpretation of the rules once. After a while I concluded that they would never give up and it was cheaper to pay and set about earning the money back rather than arguing. Unless you are big enough to afford better lawyers than the revenue, it's hard to fight them.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    YukonRon said:
    You are wrong here.
    Peace.
    The fact that you deduced this as “the” option speaks to the point. I offered nothing more than the previous content and an open ended statement that if the previous content were not as it is, could have been interpreted many different ways. Of course you being able to read and of above intelligence, were easily able to put the correct answer together. Sorry. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Come on Pete, he bought me a bottle of rub once, which exceeds my definition of a great man.  ;)

"First class in a manner you can't understand."
    LMFAO
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Not married, No kids, 2 mortgages, donations, work related expenses, home office and I still struggle to beat out the standard deduction. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    ColtsFan said:
    Not married, No kids, 2 mortgages, donations, work related expenses, home office and I still struggle to beat out the standard deduction. 
    Find some kids.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Legume said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Find some kids.
    No tax deduction can make up for the cost of children.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @ColtsFan - You many want to find a good tax person as your situation sounds like itemizing would be the obvious choice.  ;)
    Disclaimer: no tax wizard here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    well this thread is disturbing, have always been able to itemize, i owe too much to get by.  scribbling some quick math, i could sell the house, put 200k from it in the bank, keep the mortgage on the camp, and keep living the same dream on 15288.00 per year take home and just take the personal deduction with money back. and no friggin stress
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    No worries @fishlessman,  what with Trumpsterfire's new tax cuts aren't we all getting YUGE refunds anyway? 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    No worries @fishlessman,  what with Trumpsterfire's new tax cuts aren't we all getting YUGE refunds anyway? 
    and raises =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    im just hoping i can still declare 8 dependents  during the year and still break even after taxes. my interest and tax payments are YUGE with the camps.
    fukahwee maine

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited October 2017
    I am Al Sharpton.  I don't pay any taxes.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    those new tax calculators eliminating salt deductions is going to put me back about 10 twelve packs a year. how many others in the 12% tax bracket going to get hurt by this, guess we could include the other brackets as well =)
    fukahwee maine

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    A tax professional would cost you $300-$500 for personal. I think they are worth it, but each year I also personally evaluate what changed in my life. If no changes - similar income, etc, then maybe you skip and do it yourself using last years return as template. If big changes (home sale/purchase, marriage, kids, then I for sure want a professional.  At a minimum the tax professional evaluates how close you are to itemizing being beneficial (they have computer software).  Also, there is a benefit to having accountant submit.. they are on the hook too if audited. Also advice - don't go with big city accountant.. way overpriced. Find a nice local down home gal/guy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Who would have thought that postcards are back ;);)