Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18,500 posts, 69 years old and 1st brisket

turbo’ed Costco Prime

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Was it worth the wait?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Now that's a forum cherry pop right there.  And resides in Texas as well.  Congrats on finally jumping into the deep end of the pool.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Was it worth the wait?
    Will not cut into it till tonight. Brought to Dallas. But it did probe like butter!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Mickey said:
    Was it worth the wait?
    Will not cut into it till tonight. Brought to Dallas. But it did probe like butter!
    As @SGH always says .... "standing by for the finish"
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Was it worth the wait?
    As @SGH always says .... "standing by for the finish"
    Thinking 200 in oven for an hour

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The cow drives the cook.  Hope you didn't f' it up!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks great Mickey...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Costco prime for the win! Best brisket for the money. Looks good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The point looks like it was trying to bail out 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2017
    Looks great!

Myself, I like to leave more fat on the trim. I find it helps to have that moisture available when serving a reheat.
    Gittin' there...
  • Mickey
    edited November 2017
    Looks great!

Myself, I like to leave more fat on. It helps to have that moisture available when serving a reheat.
    Now you tell me! So damn proud of myself for the cutting job on the fat. Number 2 brisket will have more fat. You are so right especially if having to hold overnight. I think it would have been just fine if eating within a few hours (keeping in butt box). The fridge is not your friend to hold a brisket. 

• Mickey
    Was it worth the wait?
    No! Thought it was so hard, so long. Wished I had done this year's ago. 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Nice work Mickey.  The Cosco Prime brisket is a good candidate for turbo with its high fat content.  And yeah, leaving a fat cap helps.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Mickey
    Next time cut out all the hard fat and leave the fat cap. Correct?

• Mickey
    The point looks like it was trying to bail out 
    I cut all the hard fat (after watching Franklins video on trim) and just left a small attachment to the point. Worried it would come apart. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great result and awakening right there, especially with the protracted hold and resurrection.  You did yourself and the state quite proud.  Fork placement for the win.  Congrats.  Time to go again.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey said:
    Next time cut out all the hard fat and leave the fat cap. Correct?
    Why not try that one time. In my experience most of the layer over the flat renders, and all can be trimmed later if you like.
    Gittin' there...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2017
    Caveat: im cooking creekstone's now that Franklin is rebuilding. So that's different. 
    Gittin' there...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Mickey's doing brisket? There goes the neigborhood...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    edited November 2017
    caliking said:
    Mickey's doing brisket? There goes the neigborhood...
    You are soooo safe until i buy my first curry  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That was funny
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Real nice cut there @Mickey. Nice and thick flat. Well done sir. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great Mickey. I thought you guys boiled your briskets.  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Well you are 1 brisket cook ahead of me....  looks great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mickey
    Well you are 1 brisket cook ahead of me....  looks great
    Do it! Turbo was good and easy (getting a Prime brisket was probably 90%). Will do more now and do them all Turbo