Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Google Fiber OT

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
We have had Google in our neighborhood this month installing their fiber network. Ours is the only neighborhood in Louisville to get it, so far, and if I had been informed correctly, only one of three areas in the USA to have this done as a beta. We have signed up for it, and plan on cutting ties with our current carrier.
We will see how this works out.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm anxiously waiting for this.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Phoenix 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    It’s awesome- my BIL has it in Raleigh. 

I have fiberspeed here here but it’s not google. 

Netflix movies start immediately. 

Greensboro, NC
  • YukonRon
    blasting said:

I'm anxiously waiting for this.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I will let you know as soon as we get ours. We signed up the day we saw the trucks in the 'hood, and were told we are on the list for installation, but it would be about 4 months before we will be operational.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • It's here in KC, too. Lots of people I know have it and love it. They have raised the prices though just like every other ISP
  • YukonRon
    Wolfpack said:
    It’s awesome- my BIL has it in Raleigh. 

I have fiberspeed here here but it’s not google. 

Netflix movies start immediately. 

Thank you for the feedback. We are looking so forward to it, and dumping our current carrier. More excited about dumping our current carrier.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    HellrodKC said:
    It's here in KC, too. Lots of people I know have it and love it. They have raised the prices though just like every other ISP
    Good to know......thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    How fast is it going to be?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    We've had it for almost a year, but I just bought the 100mb which has been great.  Zero issues streaming and my work vpn seems to drop me down to 20ish, so I've been happy with the $50 option.

When they first installed ours, the lead technician said google was going to move away from laying fiber and would soon be installing high speed wireless to move the signal through the neighborhoods (no more digging up the streets).  I don't know if they've moved to that yet, but that sounded great, our street was a mess for 8-10 weeks. At least.
  • Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I’m about an hour from you in Lexington and have been waiting for this since forever, hope to see it creep on over to me keep us posted with details on speed and reliability.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I'm rocking 9600 baud dial up.  Can't imagine ever needing more.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    In fact it was a little bit frightening.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    OK, so I googled "fiber" and got this.  Wut next?

Now Google "constipation".  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ok, John.  Now wut?

"fistula"?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    No no no, no no no.  Whatever yo do, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT, Google "fistula" .  
    "Rectal prolapse" is a fun time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    No no no, no no no.  Whatever yo do, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT, Google "fistula" .  
    My general rule is to never Google for ANY medical photography.

Therein lies nightmares.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    Google toilet, then Google buffalo....this thread is going, going, ........

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    But they fought with expert timing 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    EggHill said:
    I’m about an hour from you in Lexington and have been waiting for this since forever, hope to see it creep on over to me keep us posted with details on speed and reliability.
    @EggHill
    First, welcome to the World of the BGE. If you want to find out anything about anything, this is the place. There are some very smart folks here, and you will find most will be willing to do whatever it takes to help you.
    We are not without forum miscreants, however, they are amongst my closest and dearest friends, perhaps the best of what we have.
    I will be glad to keep you updated on the progress. Our neighborhood, as best I can tell, went through the process, in a very short time.
    Our block, as well as others, had the fiber network installed in just a couple of days. The biggest complaint was not being given adequate warning, as it was going so fast, to move our vehicles from the streets where they were working. Notice went up with street signs the evening before, and if the car was in their way, they towed it. They also brought it back. So no biggie there.
    This is not your old cable network you will be dealing with. They cut a groove in the street, pretty deep, insert the fibre, then reseal it. They cut into the curb, and across the sidewalk and bury the access point in your yard.
    We are waiting on installation here, and have been told it will likely be 4 -5 months before we get the hook up.
    We have begun to prepare. We got a fire stick and antenna, and when the day comes where we can begin to use it, we can't wait to call our current provider to say we are done.
    The few in our area that have had the hook ups completed, are elated. There is some frustration on missed appointments, and some logistical issues, but, overall, it seems to be moving forward rather smoothly for such a major technology change.
    Oh and by the way, Go Cats! (The assumption being that you live in Lexington, did not mean to offend if not part of BBN, The Blue World Order)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Legume said:
    We've had it for almost a year, but I just bought the 100mb which has been great.  Zero issues streaming and my work vpn seems to drop me down to 20ish, so I've been happy with the $50 option.

When they first installed ours, the lead technician said google was going to move away from laying fiber and would soon be installing high speed wireless to move the signal through the neighborhoods (no more digging up the streets).  I don't know if they've moved to that yet, but that sounded great, our street was a mess for 8-10 weeks. At least.
    Ours was done very quickly. But, having been in Austin, I could see why. I had not been there in like 20 years or so, and man has that town grown. 
    Obviously, I had been misinformed about the Google network, with you having it about a year, but maybe they learned much about process refinement with the initial installment, that made ours go so quick.
    I am looking forward to it. My Beautiful Wife and our chldren are techno geeks, so I yield to their expertise, on the set up. Pretty sure they will want the max.
    Appreciate the insight, thank you for the comments, brother.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    I'm rocking 9600 baud dial up.  Can't imagine ever needing more.
    You live in the land of perfection.....How's the weather? Perfect?
    Dude's got it going on....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Looking forward to Netflix and chilling......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    The Father of Observational Astronomy, The Father of Modern Physics, The Father of the Scientific Method, in fact he is called The father of Science.
    Galileo Galileo.
    He and Urban....not so much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    CTMike said:
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    I drink to much. Thought it was Bohemian Rhapsody....Queen. Likely too old for you young whipperrappers.
    Carry on, humiliation is nothing new to me....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Looks like that insomnia is still nagging you @YukonRon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    YukonRon said:
    CTMike said:
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    I drink to much. Thought it was Bohemian Rhapsody....Queen. Likely too old for you young whipperrappers.
    The quotes were from a song that is one year older than Bohemian Rhapsody, kids these days...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    DMW said:by
    YukonRon said:
    CTMike said:
    DMW said:
    Hans61 said:
    As fast as lightning.
    The quotes were from a song that is one year older than Bohemian Rhapsody, kids these days...

Showoff...BTW great images you posted of your daughter and her play. I know you are very proud.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    @DoubleEgger
    It never goes away.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky