Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Thanks for such a detailed response. I’ll be trying to make some. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    NPHuskerFL said:

150g fed levain
    1-15oz or 16oz can pure pumpkin puree.
    800g KABF + more for bench shaping 
    Cold water
    Pumpkin Pie Spice 2g
    Kosher Salt 12g

Canned pumpkin?  Tsk tsk tsk :-)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Made sourdough coco bread for our Jamaican themed shindig this past weekend. They turned out pretty good for a first attempt. Part of the liquid used to make the dough is coconut milk, hence the name. These were used as a vehicle to carry @pigfisher 's jerk pork. 

I subbed sourdough for the yeast the recipe called for, but need to work out some of the kinks in the recipe before posting it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    caliking said:
    Made sourdough coco bread for our Jamaican themed shindig this past weekend. ...
    I subbed sourdough for the yeast the recipe called for, but need to work out some of the kinks in the recipe before posting it
    I will happily taste and comment on your next effort.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    20stone said
    NPHuskerFL said:

150g fed levain
    1-15oz or 16oz can pure pumpkin puree.
    800g KABF + more for bench shaping 
    Cold water
    Pumpkin Pie Spice 2g
    Kosher Salt 12g

Canned pumpkin?  Tsk tsk tsk :-)
    Ya ball buster :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    @NPHuskerFL thanks for sharing! How was the taste? They look incredible. 
  • caliking
    Thanks for the deets, @NPHuskerFL.

+1 re not using the KA to mix dough. I feel the gluten is overdeveloped after mechanical mixing. 

What size banneton do you have for the batard? I bought one but it seems too small for a 1lb loaf. 

• NPHuskerFL
    EggDan said:
    @NPHuskerFL thanks for sharing! How was the taste? They look incredible. 
    Work has been Cray Cray!  Slicing mañana. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @caliking I think mine is 8.5" round and 10" oval. I can put 500g-600g in each for proofing. I normally have a 1,000g-1,200g mass that gets divided. I'll double check but, pretty sure that's what mine are. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    @caliking My bannetons are small and work well for loaves that are made with 400 g of flour. So that would be loaves with a total mass of 800 grams or so. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You guys sound like Machiavellian chemists.  Kudos.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    bgebrent said:
    Man, ya gots ta take this serious, ya know?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SciAggie said:
    bgebrent said:
    Man, ya gots ta take this serious, ya know?
    All the way my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    @caliking I think mine is 8.5" round and 10" oval. I can put 500g-600g in each for proofing. I normally have a 1,000g-1,200g mass that gets divided. I'll double check but, pretty sure that's what mine are. 
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking My bannetons are small and work well for loaves that are made with 400 g of flour. So that would be loaves with a total mass of 800 grams or so. 
    Mine is 10" x 6". I usually make a 1lb loaf in my round banneton. Guess I'll just give it a shot and see what happens. 

• SciAggie
    @EggDan Oh dang! That looks good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2017
    @EggDan
    My recipe or your own?
    Looks effing perfect!  Oven spring and ear on point! :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    @NPHuskerFL used your recipe and added a little water before the salt step. Not many adjustments at all. In hindsight I probably should have kept to the script. 
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited November 2017

I never baked a loaf of bread of any kind, never even thought of making bread as a possibly... until I got my LBGE. That was 6 years ago. I was 60 years old and decided that I needed to learn how to make bread so I could bake it in my new ceramic oven.

• SciAggie
    @HogHeaven Dude! Those are beautiful. Where are you located?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Made four loaves of french bread yesterday.  They looked like 90 year old deflated appendages and could have been used to club someone to death.  I didn't bother insulting the birds with the travesty and tossed them direct in the trash.
    Less than successful loaves can still be used to make bread crumbs rather than straight to trash.

I think I have a 55 gallon drum full of bread crumbs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2017
    @HeavyG 100% AGREE ^^^^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie said:
    @HogHeaven Dude! Those are beautiful. Where are you located?
    I’m in Hermosa Beach, Ca.
  • Baking sourdough bread in a large BGE... lift your pizza stone up so your dough is going to bake at the same level as your thermometer mounted in your dome. That allows you to bake at 500°F using that thermometer to regulate your baking temperature, if you’ve calibrated it recently. 

Remove your top vent completely and control your baking temperature with your bottom vent. Those moves allow superior Airflow and and makes it convenient to see what is happening in your dome without opening it repeatly. Plus you can use your infrared thermometer through the top vent opening to determine when your pizza stone is preheated enough to put your dough on. 

Creating STEAM in your BGE. I use a preheated Stainless Steel mixing bowl. I put a piece of parchment paper on my pizza peel. I dump my final proofed dough out of my banneton onto the parchment paper. I score the dough with my Lame and then spray it with water from my mister and then transfer it onto the pizza stone and place my preheated SS mixing bowl over the dough. I leave the SS mixing bowl over the dough for half of the baking time, about 15/17 minutes. Then I cook to color, not crumb temperature, looking through the top vent opening to decide when to pull it. Being able to view your dough through the top vent gives you the ability to decide when and if you need to rotate it the archive evening browning. The parchment paper allows you to rotate your dough with just your fingertips, which is quicker than using your bread peel, which makes it so you don’t lose much baking temperature. The parchment paper also makes it easier to pull your loaf off of the pizza stone onto you peel too. 
  • SciAggie
    I’m not mad about how these turned out...

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Nice
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• caliking
    Baked a great loaf yesterday... Forkish's pan de campagne with caraway seeds, and minus the commercial yeast.

But I need to take scoring lessons from @SciAggie and @HogHeaven :)

• SciAggie
    @caliking Scoring is still a weak spot for me. I'm seeing slow, incremental improvement over time - but I'm still not consistent. If you look - the nearest loaf has a beautiful ear - everything one could want. I tried to do the back loaf the same way - nuthin'...
    I told someone the other day that you can learn to make good bread in a day. It takes a LONG time to make excellent bread. I'm not there yet. I am getting closer.

Your loaf looks great. I want to play some over my Christmas break and bake a little more.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2017
    These all look great. As to artisan scoring, a higher hydration loaf sometimes will ear out but, more often won't be as pronounced. 75%-85% will have a fairly consistent ear unless your scoring game is lacking. YMMV
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014