Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice, Gary! :clap:

And I agree it is the little things. Baking bread is a very organic process with so many little variables. Makes it a fun challenge indeed. And so rewarding when the GREAT loaves happen :smile:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Does anybody use the rectangular banneton? And if you have what hydration percentage have you had the best luck with? Most recently, over the weekend, I did a 93% hydration and as soon as I turned it out it quickly loses its shape. This was after a long cold ferment and I took it directly from the cooler to the peel to place onto the stone. Just curious if anyone else uses this style. I have no issues when doing a boule. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I can't speak to the rectangular bannetons directly. For the sake of conversation I'll say that I've had dough lose shape quickly before. In those cases I either overproofed the dough or did not have good tension from shaping. 
    I think a third possibility is the "strength" of the dough in general. If the dough ferments long enough it essentially can become just a large mass of starter. In this case the dough structure would change. Is that a possibility?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SciAggie Maybe. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Great thread.  @NPHuskerFL - you have some fantastic looking bread cooks.

I've been working on bread lately, experimenting with milling whole wheat flours in my kitchen.  I've become a total bread novice again, just trying to get a decent crumb in a basic loaf of country wheat bread..

Making progress, but this thread definitely elevates my motivation level!  Thanks!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @reinhart36 Thank you.  If you're milling your own whole wheat flour in your kitchen you're no longer a novice. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Loaves from this morning. I can see a direct correlation between my bench/ shaping skills and the quality of my loaves in terms of bloom and oven spring. I'd still like a bit more bloom though - I'm sure proof time and temp are a factor. Incremental steps forward... I may attempt a slightly higher hydration since my skills are improving. This is 75% hydration. 

I did  not spritz either of these loaves with water. I need to try that next time. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks good to me my friend. I'm sure it tasted wonderful. The thing is, you can invest a lot of time (like I do) trying to make incremental improvements, but the bread really doesn't taste that much better. Welcome to the club of bread makers - sourdough is a lot of fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Good first sourdough shot Jason @theyolksonyou
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    @theyolksonyou nicely done!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Incremental Improvements
    Baking bread in a live fire at brisket camp

Everything I read said to put the DO on a bed of coals, and put some on top. 

Loaf 1

Loaf 2

Same method, shorter time.  Still way, way to much heat. Maybe the coals on the top and bottom thing is BS

Loaf 3

Baked on the "front porch" on sand, with no embers on top....until I decided to give it one last blast buck under, which promptly burned the bottom (sorry, @caliking)

Loaf 4 - Forkish Pain au Bacon

Not as brown as it might have been, but, given out prior results, we were quitting while we were ahead. I tasted awesome, BTW, and recommended the recipe 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone  Very nice. Looks like y’all had a fun time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @20stone that's way too many coals on the lid  of that Dutch oven. You only need maybe 1/4 - 1/3 that amount. 

Also, can't tell if that DO has legs. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @20stone Awesome man! Assuming the DO went into the bed of coals prior to preheating. I would imagine good spring and crumb. It would be difficult to judge when to remove the loaf. Maybe go 15 covered and 20 uncovered. Learning curve for sure. Nice work man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Options
    @20stone that's way too many coals on the lid  of that Dutch oven. You only need maybe 1/4 - 1/3 that amount. 

Also, can't tell if that DO has legs. 
    a) No s$&@. We figured that out. 

b) The DO does have legs, but with the depth of the embers, I expect there was direct contact on the bottom. 

I suspect the "cover it in coals" crowd doesn't built blast furnace fires like we did at BC4. 

For this fire, at least, we had plenty of heat in front of the fire, with a mound of embers on the other side. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

Assuming the DO went into the bed of coals prior to preheating.

I would imagine good spring and crumb. It would be difficult to judge when to remove the loaf. Maybe go 15 covered and 20 uncovered. Learning curve for sure. Nice work man. 
    We did preheat in the fire, which worked great, spring wise. 

Given the dropping embers, we opted to keep the lid on throughout, and pull it every 10 min or so to check and rotate. It ended up taking about 30 min on the front porch
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    Those loaves look terrific @SciAggie!

@theyolksonyou I don't get the obsession with an open crumb, because bread has one purpose... To hold the butter. You're ahead of the curve.

• caliking
    Options
    Luckily, we had 4 loaves to bake, and quickly learned what not to do when baking with an open pit. 

That bacon loaf turned out very tasty. I would have been bummed if we had screwed it up. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @caliking right on man!  Failures only make us better. And the birds and wildlife don't complain. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Options
    caliking said:
    Luckily, we had 4 loaves to bake, and quickly learned what not to do when baking with an open pit. 

That bacon loaf turned out very tasty. I would have been bummed if we had screwed it up. 

I love the goat leg photobomb in this pic. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That bacon loaf looks really good. @caliking My quest for really open crumb is just to build the skill set to be able to produce that type of bread - then be able to choose not to make it. That may seem strange, but - oh well.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Made four loaves of french bread yesterday.  They looked like 90 year old deflated appendages and could have been used to club someone to death.  I didn't bother insulting the birds with the travesty and tossed them direct in the trash.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Made four loaves of french bread yesterday.  They looked like 90 year old deflated appendages and could have been used to club someone to death.  I didn't bother insulting the birds with the travesty and tossed them direct in the trash.
    Sorry, but this made me chuckle. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Sorry, but this made me chuckle. 
    I guess I will own my shame.  Yes, the nail was hammered in with the bread.  Notice my "handle" cracked.

• caliking
    Options
    Oz, been there and done that. Soldier on. It really is a fun journey.

And you will be making great bread waaaaay before I have a rice cooker...

• caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That bacon loaf looks really good. @caliking My quest for really open crumb is just to build the skill set to be able to produce that type of bread - then be able to choose not to make it. That may seem strange, but - oh well.
    Likewise. I meant to make a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment but it may not have come across as I'll intended.

I prefer to bake loaves with less of an open crumb, but every now and then I bake one with a more open crumb. Just to see if I can, so I absolutely get what you're saying. 

Why does a dog lick it's b@lls? Because it can! :)

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking It's all good - I took it as you intended. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nice pic.  Now you can have a laugh when you pull out a beauty next time. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX