Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cochinita Pibil -- Pic Heavy

Killit_and_Grillit
Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
edited October 2017 in Pork
I have been wanting to try this since @texaswig posted a video of this a few weeks ago. 

So I headed over to the little Mexican market down the street and picked up some supplies and off I went. 

1) Wrapped up peppers, bay leaves, cloves, pepper corns, cumin and cloves in cheesecloth

2) Mixed like juice, orange juice, and achiote paste

3) Warmed up my banana leaves so they wouldn't crack

4) Lined dish with banana leaves, toss in pork butt, cover in salt, pepper, garlic, and liquid (put in cheesecloth bag and orange rinds)

5) Wonder how ribs would taste in this concoction. Throw a rack in to satisfy curiosity and finish wrapping in leaves. 

6) Toss on Egg at 300 indirect until 200ish.

7) Prep toppings
*Pickle red onions
*Mix lime juice and coleslaw
*Make black beans and rice
*chop jalapeños 
(I'm allergic to raw onion hence me sautéing my pickles onions)

8) Plate and Eat!!

The ribs were surprisingly great. I was on the fence about putting them in but we destroyed half a rack just picking at them and I pulled the bones and shredded the meat in the other half. 

My regular crew said this was the best taco night we have ever done so it's going in rotation. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments