Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston Butts Pibil

BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
edited 10:20PM in EggHead Forum
Put 2 Boston butts on the XL 22.44 lbs.......rubbed with Richard's Indian River Rainbow Pepper ( A delicately balanced mixture of Peppers: Black, White, Brazilian Red, Green, Szechuan, Coriander & Crushed Red Pepper) and Death by Garlic....On the Egg 250* dome at 9:30 pm tuesday.Smoked with hickory wood chunks & the dripping pan filled with water

DSCN8600.jpg

Pulled them out wednesday, when the internal temp. reached 195* , around 2:30 pm, a 17 hours cook during which the XL kept a perfectly steady temp.

DSCN8609.jpg

Let them rest for a while & then pulled, they were so tender, reserved one for later & proceeded to add the pibil ingredients to this one

DSCN8612.jpg

Ingredients for the pibil marinade: Achiote paste, garlic, chopped, orange & lemon juice, white wine vinegar,mezcal (without the worm :P ), bay leaves, cumin, thyme, fresh oregano from the garden, S & P. The addition of citrics gives the marinade a sweet & acidic taste.

DSCN8603.jpg

Added the marinade to the meat, wrapped in banana leaves & reserved

DSCN8614.jpg

DSCN8616.jpg

Had a glorious sunset waiting for the guests

DSCN8617.jpg

Kept the egg just warm, added some more lump & put the meat back on at around 8:00 pm

DSCN8621.jpg

Just 1 hour, was enough to add to the already smoked flavour of the meat, the aroma of the banana leaves.It was something else...DE-LI-CIOUS

DSCN8625.jpg

Made tortas with white bread, mustard, mayonnaise, refried beans, pickled red onions, olives, habaneros & potato salad.

Dessert, for my health conscious friends?? What else but dark chocolate covered bacon.... :woohoo: :laugh:

DSCN8629.jpg

By that time it was raining quite strong so we took cover under the large palapa. Some of you might recognize Tony "The Money" tequila glass in hand, a regular at my parties, bringing in the precious fuel to keep us going, with Chuy's help.. :laugh:

DSCN8626.jpg

A pretty satisfied group I thought.... ;)

DSCN8627.jpg
·

Comments

• berrygoodberrygood Posts: 372
    Wow! Nice twist, Beli. I've never seen PP prepared this way. What is the taste like?
    ·
  • GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,010
    Looks great and the "pibil" style makes sense now. Chocolate bacon is becoming quite the fad around here. I may have to join the trend...
    ·
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    This could be Beli's quote. "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis". AKA...the most interesting man in the world. :)

Looks fantastic. You seem to live it up. Those leaves look great for presentation too. Very cool. That view is to die for.
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Your pibil dish got me droooolin. Nice work with your new XLarge! 17 hour cook sure made a nice bark on the butts, that looks mouth watering also.
    Terrific food all around. Thanks for sharing!
    ·
  • That is a WOW. I wish I could taste it. I know it was a great evening.

Your Miss Universe was on the Today show this morning.
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Jeremy, the ancient achiote is a key ingredient here & gives a very distinctive taste & colour (orange-red) to the pork,although it is commonly used in chicken as well, a typical dish from Yucatán, The addition of citrics gives the marinade a sweet & acidic taste.
    ·
    Barry, that chocolate covered bacon is literally a sin you must try it :laugh:
    ·
  • The Pibil looks wonderful Beli, I bet it taste the same

Ross
    ·
    Hey Andrew, the wonderful taste makes this cook a must
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Thanks Beli, I'm glad to see your finished product. Very interesting cook. BTW who got the worm? :ohmy: :woohoo:
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    You win, I don't want to play with you anymore :angry:
    Damn friend you are GOOOOOD.......
    WOW........... Just over and over and over you keep doing it well.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    TKS Clay, it was really good.
    ·
    Faith sorry Jimena couldn't make it to my party so I didn't get any pics of her...apparently she was realy busy in Las Vegas :P
    ·
    Ross, something to complement your already huge & interesting cooking repertoire
    ·
    Tim I think that was washed out in a previous boozing binge :laugh:
    ·
    Key Mickey Muchas Gracias mi amigo, can't wait for the Texas fest again
    ·
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    Looks like great food and fun, once again. My best to "The Money". Have him send some North. :laugh:

Mike
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Beli,

Looks incredible. I was able to get some frozen banana leaves at a West Indian market so I'll be trying that soon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Mike, remember this guy at the Texas Fest helping himself to food on a BIG tray instead of a normal plate?? He must have polished a few food stands clean... :P

DSCN7293.jpg
    ·
    TKS buddy, also kept some leaves for sunday....when I'll do it again..Loren loved it, it was so good
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Beli,

Never a doubt in my mind ;) Looks perfect!
    ·
    TKS Adam, looks like a long cook but really not labor intensive, just the egg work....& cooking big pieces usually leaves enough food for future occasions
    ·
  • You are just to kind my friend

Ross
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Beli, I see you're putting the XLG to good use. Your Pork Butt Pibil looks very yummy! :) I love the photos, as always.

The Mexican pottery you cook with is gorgeous!
    ·
    Hey Rebecca..meant to tell you the photo you posted the other day with you sitting & the flowers behind was very nice ;) Now, about my pottery, the one I used this time is ancient, nice & smoothed with age, gosh wish it was the same with me... :woohoo: :laugh: , got four of those old brown ones that I can use now with the XL, they wouldn't fit in the large. The green ones I had made in Oaxaca a couple of years ago to fit the Large

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

I'll get some of the black Oaxacan next.

Let me know if you have any preference colour & size so I can look for it & perhaps bring it next time.
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    The Pibil looks wonderful!

Those bowls ook fantastic, Beli. Are they ceramic? / Clay
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Beli, is that Atzompa pottery? You've posted the green pottery before and it always catches my eye. Stunning pieces of functioning art work! :)
    ·
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    That's how I fondly remember him. :laugh:
    ·
    Exactly, we went to Santa María Atzompa when we were in Oaxaca, The colour is called Atzompa Green, and its a nice shade of jade. I understand they've been making pottery there for centuries, now most of the glaze they use is lead-free produced here only by Vitro the glass conglomerate & is regulated by the government.
    ·
    TKS Clark, it is clay mined from a nearby place.
    ·