Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    20spawn3 now has a starter going that he got from us (yes, I have taken sourdough starter to SF, boudain to NO, and last week, almost took pastrami and rye to NYC). 

I call it AndGoo, out of respect for Andrew V, who shared it with me (after I killed off starter from other forum members). However, now that 20spawn3 has his going in SF, he is working on names for it, and I couldn't help but share his list of contenders:

20spawn3 said:
    trying to name my starter and have a list that i'm working with:

dough chi minh
    doughseph stalin
    wheatey pablo
    bread flintstone
    breaddy kruger
    breadly cooper
    levainthony hopkins
    victor gluten
    eddie breadder
    vladimir gluten

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I made a sourdough loaf today that turned out well. This is mostly KA BF with some whole wheat, spelt, and rye. I think I have been over-proofing my dough in the bulk stage. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @20stone Vladimir Gluten 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 20stone
    @SciAggie - I love the blister you got on the crust
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    I spritzed the dough with water before I put it in the oven. I don't normally do that - and I don't normally get the blisters. That may be the reason. Hard to say with an experiment of one sample. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    This loaf had better oven spring. I limited my bulk rise to about 20-30% increase in volume. Retarded the dough in the refrigerator. I set it out at room temperature about 45 minutes before baking. I spritzed the dough with water before putting it in the oven. That is what caused the blisters. The crumb on this loaf was nice. This is a 75% hydration loaf. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2017
    Nice boule Gary! @SciAggie
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    20stone said:
    20spawn3 now has a starter going that he got from us (yes, I have taken sourdough starter to SF, boudain to NO, and last week, almost took pastrami and rye to NYC). 

I call it AndGoo, out of respect for Andrew V, who shared it with me (after I killed off starter from other forum members). However, now that 20spawn3 has his going in SF, he is working on names for it, and I couldn't help but share his list of contenders:

20spawn3 said:
    trying to name my starter and have a list that i'm working with:

dough chi minh
    doughseph stalin
    wheatey pablo
    bread flintstone
    breaddy kruger
    breadly cooper
    levainthony hopkins
    victor gluten
    eddie breadder
    vladimir gluten

1. wheatey pablo
    2. bread flinstone
    3. dough chi minh

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    @20stone dadgummit. "yeasty boys" didn't make the cut. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Nice boule Gary! @SciAggie
    Thanks. I'm slowly improving and getting more consistent.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    Crumb DMC
    It's more of a West Coast starter. 

Maybe N Doubleboule A

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    I have a couple of questions:
    #1 Do you have good success mailing starters? How do you prep and package? I assume you make it fairly dry instead of 1:1 flour and water?
    #2 Do you think the original yeast and bacteria populations in a starter stay consistent over time? Said differently, do you think after a prolonged period of feedings the yeast and bacteria slowly evolve or migrate to the local population?

it seems my SF  starter I received last Christmas has changed somewhat. It is still viable and makes good bread but it just seems "different." Hardly scientific I know. It seems to respond to feedings on a different timetable that is independent from temperature fluctuations and flour used for feeding. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SciAggie I have never mailed a starter. That said I don't see where you would have any sort of issue mailing it via UPS. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    20stone said:
    Crumb DMC

Maybe N Doubleboule A

South Central Crustel

digging deep for west coast hip hop. 
  • SciAggie
    @SciAggie I have never mailed a starter. That said I don't see where you would have any sort of issue mailing it via UPS. 
    I'm just a bit worried about pressure building in the container of choice. Most mail would take at least two days. The starter I got from King Arthur was a very dry starter - but it was active. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • @NPHuskerFL: Blake - You mentioned baking in various Egg sizes, including the MM. When I bake in the MM, I often find it results in a scorched bottom that I have not experienced using the same approach in other Egg sizes. To date, I've attributed this to the baking location being much closer to the heat source in the MM.

Has this been your experience as well? If so, what have you done to mitigate against this?
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    Crumb DMC

Maybe N Doubleboule A

South Central Crustel

digging deep for west coast hip hop. 
    Doughpac

• caliking
    Snoop Doughgg

• caliking
    Dr. Doughre

• NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2017
    @GrateEggspectations The MM can throw a monkey wrench atcha for sure.  When you say baking that covers a huge spectrum. Are you more specifically speaking of sourdough? Pizza? Cookies? Pumpkin, Apple, Cherry...pie? Etc?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @GrateEggspectations The MM can throw a monkey wrench atcha for sure.  When you say baking that covers a huge spectrum. Are you more specifically speaking of sourdough? Pizza? Cookies? Pumpkin, Apple, Cherry...pie? Etc?
    Edit. 
    As it pertains to sourdough.
    Shoot for a dome temp of 450°F prior to even getting into the full setup. I find by doing this the bread etc benefits by the dome having that energy from the start. 
    My 2 different setups. 
    1> PS legs down. I have some unique spacers that give about 2" lift and then either place the stone on top of the spacers or a CI pan. 
    2> A little variation using the WOO instead. 
    After the egg is preheated sans the PS and stone or CI.  Then I setup it up and allow these items to heat up about 20 minutes. You've already dialed it in prior to this so don't fiddle with temp etc. Helpful?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • @NPHuskerFL: Thanks. I was talking bread generally. I make a no knead recipe or two that turn out beautifully on the Large but that get burned bottoms on the MM. I generally either do them in a Dutch oven or on a baking stone. Temps and setups are consistent for both cookers, but I almost always have a burned bottom before the top is done on the MM. Perhaps I need to get it higher in the dome, which is a challenge, considering the relatively large stone leaves little room for raising. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    @GrateEggspectations what DO are you able to fit in the MM with a PS and then an ample air gap?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • @NPHuskerFL: A "sawed-off" Lodge 4qt sitting on a trivet providing about a 1" gap above the PS legs up. No grate. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2017
    @NPHuskerFL: A "sawed-off" Lodge 4qt sitting on a trivet providing about a 1" gap above the PS legs up. No grate. 

Pics?  
    I've used on numerous occasions a 10" CI pan and fashioned a makeshift lid out of an aluminium pie pan. It actually worked out pretty nifty. Posted a pic somewhere here I think. 
    You could always line the CI w/ parchment prior to turning out your loaf into the CI. I've never had the scorching issue doing it the ways I've been doing and I'm not currently utilizing parchment paper. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    I have a couple of questions:
    #1 Do you have good success mailing starters? How do you prep and package? I assume you make it fairly dry instead of 1:1 flour and water?
    Thanks to @NDG and @Thatgrimguy I received two in the mail when I got started.  Cold starter, a plastic deli tub and 2nd day air seem to work.  Starter is pretty resilient, it seems, and after a couple of feedings was ready to rock.

caliking said:
    Snoop Doughgg
    ... or Goop Doughggy Doughgg
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Tried something new after the discussion of cold fermentation here. 

Decreased the starter in the levain by 50% after @20stone pointed out that I was using way more than most recipes call for. Bulk rise on the counter for 4hrs, with folds every 30mins, then  in the fridge for 16hrs or so. Shaped and then back in the fridge to proof for 24hrs or so. 

Turned out pretty good.

Placed 2 ice cubes in the pleats of the parchment paper when the dough went into the hot  DO and it worked great for creating steam in the closed DO. Great oven  spring on this one. 

The aroma is unreal as it's the longest I've let a loaf rise and proof. Can hardly wait to cut into it. 

• SciAggie
    @caliking Nice loaf. I have some dough in bulk fermentation right now. I'm working on improving my dough handling and shaping skills on the bench. To me it's interesting that it's not difficult to make good bread, but (at least for me) it's very difficult to make great bread. There are so many little things that have to go your way on the path to great bread. I think that's what's fun about it for me. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon