Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate ribs

Couldn't find anything other than these. Smoked for 2 and crutched... Yukon gold potatoes wib, grilled romaine. Very tender. I don't see many brisket cooks after the ease of this.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yessir, one of my favorite cuts to smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    henapple said:
    I don't see many brisket cooks after the ease of this.

Just wait until you try a prime rib. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2017
    henapple said:

Give anus a shot Unc and see what you think. They say that once you try the stink, you won't go back to the pink. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice cook. Hard to beat plate ribs. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Strong cook...

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Gorgeous plate of food!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    As good to eat as brisket with hardly the hassle. Costco usually has prime beef ribs too. 

Nice plate. For a redneck.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice looking meal right there.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Very nice !!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Outstanding Sir
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited September 2017
    Great cook and result.  Too easy with the beef ribs.  Where's the challenge?? ;)
    No butcher here but I thought the four bone ribs were the chuck short ribs and three bone were the plate ribs??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Beautiful display of Beef goodness right there.....not to slight the taters & romaine.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    henapple said:

I've done a few. This just has a different flavor. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

I've done a few. This just has a different flavor. 

According to some here, anything other than prime rib is just shoe leather. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Top shelf Tony 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    @henapple -  you likely missed the brisket/prime rib shoe leather threads of a few months ago as mentioned by @DoubleEgger (complete with pics of various food items (including hard boiled eggs-no joke)).  Thus the prime rib reference that can be taken in a few directions by those who have strong feelings.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Oh... Haven't been back very long. @DoubleEgger... Apologies sir. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't look at those just now. Been the best beef for me over the past 18 mo. Look too good while I'm having a lunch of pretzels, and a dinner that may be wave-a-Q.

lousubcap said:
    Great cook and result.  Too easy with the beef ribs.  Where's the challenge?? ;)
    No butcher here but I thought the four bone ribs were the chuck short ribs and three bone were the plate ribs??  

The NAMP spec is 3 bones = plate, 4 bones = chuck. But that spec is not universal. I've seen descriptions that say up to 5 bones for plate. I get them from a place that sells them as 4 bone, still packed from the plant. The bone shape has a more flat profile than chuck, which can be almost round.

Both are great, but the chucks can be a bit of a challenge.
  • @henapple your ribs look great as does the rest of the meal. Any chance you or @lousubcap or anyone else can let me know where I went wrong with mine? They were chuck ribs. Cooked them no foil for 6.5 hours at 250-275°. Seemed like they passed the toothpick test and temp was 203°. Pulled them let them rest for 20 mins. Foiled them and wrapped them in a towel and put in microwave to hold them for 1 hour. Opened them up and they were so tough I could barely eat them. Did I not cook them long enough? Too long of a rest? Must have foil for tender ribs? Any help would be much appreciated. 
    Snellville, GA

• henapple
    @henapple your ribs look great as does the rest of the meal. Any chance you or @lousubcap or anyone else can let me know where I went wrong with mine? They were chuck ribs. Cooked them no foil for 6.5 hours at 250-275°. Seemed like they passed the toothpick test and temp was 203°. Pulled them let them rest for 20 mins. Foiled them and wrapped them in a towel and put in microwave to hold them for 1 hour. Opened them up and they were so tough I could barely eat them. Did I not cook them long enough? Too long of a rest? Must have foil for tender ribs? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Someone will chime in... Wish I could help 

• SGH
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    I would like to ask a question if I may. Was your ribs tough and dry or tough and moist? I ask because it makes all the difference in the world. If your ribs were tough and dry, then the answer is straightforward and obvious. However, if they were tough and moist, then there is more than one possibility. Either way, there is an answer to your dilemma. And I just happen to know a Thunder God who can help you out. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @sgh I'm going to send you a PM if you don't mind so we don't litter up his thread. I appreciate your input. 
    Snellville, GA

• SGH
    @sgh I'm going to send you a PM if you don't mind so we don't litter up his thread. I appreciate your input. 
    I don't mind at all my friend. And for the record, you have my permission to litter up Uncle Apples thread. God only knows how many of my threads he has trashed  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Anus
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    Anus
    I could not of said it better myself brother D. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @sgh I'm going to send you a PM if you don't mind so we don't litter up his thread. I appreciate your input. 
    I responded to your PM. If you did not get it let me know. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    Just saw that you have @SGH to the rescue-Having read your cook summary I have no clue as to what I would have done differently especially since they (seemed?) passed the toothpick test, unless the hold period sucked out all the moisture which is something I have not experienced.  FWIW-