Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sanctions

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Sanctions.  
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Might be in order for your liquor intake. 
  • bgebrent
    Sober brother double.  Friday night platform.
  • bgebrent
    Sanctions against N. Korea.  Finally meaningful moves.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Ut oh! I may need sanctions. Nighty night. 
  • bgebrent
     Gnight Pete.  Sleep well.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Sanctions on Friday night- the opportunities are wide-open.  The actual , non-existant.  Besides other than SWMBO with holding romper room activities when did sanctions ever achieve their targeted results?  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    bgebrent said:
    Sober brother double.  Friday night platform.
    Give it a few hours...
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    Sanctions on Friday night- the opportunities are wide-open.  The actual , non-existant.  Besides other than SWMBO with holding romper room activities when did sanctions ever achieve their targeted results?  ;)
    Why I posted my friend.  The NK sanctions are huge.  Thought some of the intelligentsia would chime in.  Friday night right?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Would you eat that?

paqman said:
    The above post was slightly off topic.  I apologize for that.  This is more appropriate.

The appropriateness of your post is quintessential.  
  • bgebrent
    Just talked to Ron.  He is stuck in the lab.
  • lousubcap
    We have been down this road for at least two decades.  Sanctions for NK will never work unless the Chinese are engaged.  They hold the keys to the nut-tightening screws.  If they want to dial it up then there is a chance.  But if it is all talk and no action then nothing will change.   Great theater for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    We have been down this road for at least two decades.  Sanctions for NK will never work unless the Chinese are engaged.  They hold the keys to the nut-tightening screws.  If they want to dial it up then there is a chance.  But if it is all talk and no action then nothing will change.   Great theater for sure.  
    You're right Cap.  This time the Chinese banks are supposed to be in.  Trade supposedly suspended.   If China is truly on board, it will be a great coup for President Trump.
  • bgebrent
    Friday night has become so benign.  @nolaegghead.  A little help? ;)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Why I posted my friend.  The NK sanctions are huge.  Thought some of the intelligentsia would chime in.  Friday night right?
    I'm with @lousubcap - historically, sanctions rarely prove to be effective.

The DPRK has existed as it has for so long because China and Russia continue to want the DPRK to be a thorn in our side so they will continue to support it. 

Perhaps China will actually tighten some screws a bit to send Kim a message that perhaps he should dial it back a bit.

We'll see what happens.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    HeavyG said:
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    I'm with @lousubcap - historically, sanctions rarely prove to be effective.

The DPRK has existed as it has for so long because China and Russia continue to want the DPRK to be a thorn in our side so they will continue to support it. 

Perhaps China will actually tighten some screws a bit to send Kim a message that perhaps he should dial it back a bit.

We'll see what happens.
    Glad you chimed in.  As you state, China's role is key.  Early information is positive with respect to trade and banking.
  • bgebrent
    @JohninCarolina.  President doing the right thing.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    bgebrent said:
    It's sort of a shame that you didn't ask me for help brother Brent. I haven't taken my meds today. And as such, I could really show the fukk out. However I will slink quietly away into the night and wait for the Hippy........... 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    lousubcap said:
    the Chinese aren't enforcing sh!t on them.  
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    It's sort of a shame that you didn't ask me for help brother Brent. I haven't taken my meds today. And as such, I could really show the fukk out. However I will slink quietly away into the night and wait for the Hippy........... 
    Scottie, no room for you to act squeamish.  Slinking is ridiculous.  Flush your meds down the terlet and chime in my brother.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    New meaning of soju bomb?

Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    Wolfpack said:
    New meaning of soju bomb?

Not really.
  • lousubcap
    I'm with @HeavyG here regarding how China sees/plays the DPRK.  I also think a major reason China may exert more influence now is because they don't want a regime collapse and the hoards of people rolling across the Yalu River although the total numbers wouldn't be much for them to absorb.  It could be a Germany unification deal but for the great loss of face given the Chinese aren't on the verge of internal collapse (think  USSR) along with the DPRK.  
    And anyone who thinks a shoot 'em up is at or near the top of the options only needs to look at the geography.  We have around 30K military in country along with associated family.  They are the trip-wire for US intervention.  The DPRK will aggressively go after Seoul (and the 10-15M population) right out of the gate.  They may lose the war but they will win the first salvo-and that is quite a heavy price to pay.  There are no good options from our perspective-been that way for 60+ years.  Best to hope for economic collapse and a strong and substantially backed internal leadership challenge.  However, don't hold your breath.

No further insights or attempts at logical discussions tonight.  I need to fuel for LEO.

• bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    I'm with @HeavyG here regarding how China sees/plays the DPRK.  I also think a major reason China may exert more influence now is because they don't want a regime collapse and the hoards of people rolling across the Yalu River although the total numbers wouldn't be much for them to absorb.  It could be a Germany unification deal but for the great loss of face given the Chinese aren't on the verge of internal collapse (think  USSR) along with the DPRK.  
    And anyone who thinks a shoot 'em up is at or near the top of the options only needs to look at the geography.  We have around 30K military in country along with associated family.  They are the trip-wire for US intervention.  The DPRK will aggressively go after Seoul (and the 10-15M population) right out of the gate.  They may lose the war but they will win the first salvo-and that is quite a heavy price to pay.  There are no good options from our perspective-been that way for 60+ years.  Best to hope for economic collapse and a strong and substantially backed internal leadership challenge.  However, don't hold your breath.

No further insights or attempts at logical discussions tonight.  I need to fuel for LEO.

Very well said Cap.  And very sensical.
  • bgebrent
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Called you brother.  Look forward to meeting you .
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    All good points. Here is another to ponder. China does not want reunification because then there would be 30k troops on China's border. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Pete.....carry on sir.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Jacksonville FL