Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uuni anyone?

I just found the Uuni pellet pizza oven on the net.  I looks kind of cool, any experience?   thanks in advance.

Comments

• No experience with the uuni, but I can tell you that I have a friend who is Italian and obsessed with pizza. He has a custom wood burning pizza oven made with 100% Italian materials. He went overboard on authenticity. Then he got a blackstone pizza oven for tailgating and he likes it so much he hardly ever used the wood burning oven anymore. 
  • +1 for the blackstone.  Haven't cooked a pizza in the egg since buying the blackstone in 2014.  It seriously destroys pizza in the egg and I strongly recommend it. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    The Roccbox has really caught my eye:
    https://www.roccbox.com/us/

Here is a pretty complete review of the Uuni, Roccbox and Blackstone:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/best-backyard-pizza-ovens-review.html

I have Serious Eats pretty high up on my list of well researched reviews and recipes.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    i have the uuni 2s and the 3.  the 2s has been a workhorse.   even made pellet fired za in the snow.  and somewhere on this forum ive posted a comparison with uuni and bge za cookingt

the uuni is great for cooking the top of your za, be sure to heat up the stone for a long time 30 mins minimum.  and be sure to make a==an angle bracket deflector between the fire and the food., otherwise the back end of your za will char too fast.  i have had the 3 for two months now and havent unboxed it yet but i think it has a little flame shield.  
    very hard to achieve success right away but once you get the hand of it the uuni is hard to beat for portability, lightness, ease of use and efficiency. it looks pretty cool too and the cost isnt wildly out of sight.

i use the uuni more often for za than bge because it heats up faster and requires less setup than my pizza setup on bge,
    if you make za frequently and it tends to be a spur of the moment decision, the uuni is a great choice,  roccbox looks good too but i cant get over the cost.  black stone looks good but uuni portability is what caused me to go that direction
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dammit. Came here looking for sushi. But 'za works, too. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • 20stone said:

I have Serious Eats pretty high up on my list of well researched reviews and recipes.
    Me too! That thing is awesome 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    nolabrew said:
    No experience with the uuni, but I can tell you that I have a friend who is Italian and obsessed with pizza. He has a custom wood burning pizza oven made with 100% Italian materials. He went overboard on authenticity. Then he got a blackstone pizza oven for tailgating and he likes it so much he hardly ever used the wood burning oven anymore. 
    That breaks my heart. Pizzas are easily less than 10% of my cooks in my wood oven - but I love to cook in it. I fire it nearly every weekend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    20stone said:

I've never used a Roccbox or Uuni so I can't compare side by side but I can say this about Serious Eats based upon this comment quoted from their review: 

"The Blackstone does a great job of making quick pizzas with minimal fuss, but if the price seems too good to be true, it's because it is. You're going to need to do some work on it yourself and order some upgraded parts to get it in prime working condition. Adding a better motor to your order is a good start."

BULLSH!T is an understatement.  I pulled mine out of the box & assembled it as-is from the manufacturer a few years ago & have kicked the crap out of it with use & it has consistently turned out the best pizzas I've ever made every single time.  I didn't do any 'work' on it & never saw a reason to add a 'better motor', I turn it on & it rotates the stone, I'm not sure what else a motor could even do, I mean did they find one that climbs out of the oven & blows you??? Quite frankly I don't know what these people are talking about which leads me to seriously question their veracity & credibility. 

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • 20stone
    Zippylip said:
    20stone said:

I've never used a Roccbox or Uuni so I can't compare side by side but I can say this about Serious Eats based upon this comment quoted from their review: 

"The Blackstone does a great job of making quick pizzas with minimal fuss, but if the price seems too good to be true, it's because it is. You're going to need to do some work on it yourself and order some upgraded parts to get it in prime working condition. Adding a better motor to your order is a good start."

BULLSH!T is an understatement.  I pulled mine out of the box & assembled it as-is from the manufacturer a few years ago & have kicked the crap out of it with use & it has consistently turned out the best pizzas I've ever made every single time.  I didn't do any 'work' on it & never saw a reason to add a 'better motor', I turn it on & it rotates the stone, I'm not sure what else a motor could even do, I mean did they find one that climbs out of the oven & blows you??? Quite frankly I don't know what these people are talking about which leads me to seriously question their veracity & credibility. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OscEqGAOayM

Usually reviews like that come from (a) they were given a prototype that was still buggy or (b) they happened to get a lemon.  Accusing Kenji et al of being in the pocket of Big Pizza or whatever is a bit of a stretch.  Also, if you are seeking fellatio from your pizza oven, the Roccbox seems to have a better shaped mouth, though 900F may be more of a thrill than I am up for. 

There are quite a few folks on this forum that swear by the Blackstone, so I assume it does a nice job. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    20stone said:
    Accusing Kenji et al of being in the pocket of Big Pizza or whatever is a bit of a stretch.

Like I said, I’ve used it for years & made countless pies on it without ever needing to consider what he's suggesting.  I don’t know Kenji from a hole in the ground but if he takes on a task of reviewing an oven & does this piss poor a job of it I’ll continue questioning his conclusions.  I don't have blind faith in anyone, even the guru of gurus if that's who he is.

Maybe his conclusions on the other two are spot on, I wouldn't know having never seen one in action, but the review is supposed to be comprehensive.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I just read the article. It seems to me Kenji just reported on his experience over several months with the ovens.  I guess he didn't do a survey to ask everyone else's experience, but write his review based on his experience.  There are several complaints on amazon about failed motors, broken stones, warped turntables, etc., far from a majority as it scores very highly.  I guess it's possible for people to have had different experiences.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    SciAggie said:
    nolabrew said:
    No experience with the uuni, but I can tell you that I have a friend who is Italian and obsessed with pizza. He has a custom wood burning pizza oven made with 100% Italian materials. He went overboard on authenticity. Then he got a blackstone pizza oven for tailgating and he likes it so much he hardly ever used the wood burning oven anymore. 
    That breaks my heart. Pizzas are easily less than 10% of my cooks in my wood oven - but I love to cook in it. I fire it nearly every weekend. 
    My Italian friend who has a wood oven uses it frequently for pizza and for meat cooks. He loves it. He's from Florence as well, they love their meat cooked over wood.
  • westernbbq
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194225/fired-up-the-uuni-first-impressions-and-comparison-to-bge#latest

The above link is to a discussion i put up here last year..it was a comparison of uuni to bge for pizza making.  

Now, after using both multiple times in the past year or so i can say ive got good practice and skill making za in both
    I prefer bge for pizza party at home as i fire up the mm, L and the XL.  You dont have to monitor the pizza as closely as you do on the uuni,  but as far as portability goes for za making in the woods, at the game and on the beach, nothing comes close to the uuni.   Ive been trying to get updates from them beyond indie gogo ones they post and company communication is atrocious, and i am being kind by saying that.   They should have a number you can call and someone you can actually talk to.  They are undoubtedly costing themselves lost business.  They only reason i stuck with uuni and bought the 3 was because i bought the 2s and set aside the dough (pun intended) to get the upgraded 3 when it came out, otherwise id have gotten one roccbox.  So i stuck with orig plan to have 2 uunis instead of 1 roccbox due to cost and  i had no idea about the poor company communication until after i received the first uuni i purchased.

Warts aside, the uuni is serving me well especially when i take it to tailgates, beach parties and of course tona friend's house.   Super fun and super social....

The blackstone looked tempting but its too bulky and it would be hard to transport along with all the other stuff i take with the limited space i have when traveling, but it. Looks like it makes the best and easiest pizza.  The roccbox cost is just too high and so i am stuck with two uunis and ill make them work well....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    20stone said:
    Zippylip said:
    20stone said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OscEqGAOayM

Usually reviews like that come from (a) they were given a prototype that was still buggy or (b) they happened to get a lemon.  Accusing Kenji et al of being in the pocket of Big Pizza or whatever is a bit of a stretch.  Also, if you are seeking fellatio from your pizza oven, the Roccbox seems to have a better shaped mouth, though 900F may be more of a thrill than I am up for. 

There are quite a few folks on this forum that swear by the Blackstone, so I assume it does a nice job. 
    To be brief, I concur Marc.  The credibility, for me, is on the pizzamakingforum.  
    I had two parts to order on my new unit that were flawed, BS took care of it.  A new base, and the ring that holds the top stone.  Maybe he got a sh!t unit?

From what I recall, his beef was appearance of the BS as well, another issue imo.  I really don't give a flying rats a$$ what it looks like, as long as it produces..and it most definitely does.

10" pie on the RB...how cute. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Someone about 45min from my house has a Roccbox for sale (with gas adapter) for $450.  

I honestly would rather have a Blackstone.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • westernbbq
    I am considering broiling some steaks in the uuni this weekend..watched united steaks of america early this am and am inspired by that big bacon guy's visit to peter luger steakhouse....
  • westernbbq
    I didnt get to broil steaks this weekend but @victor1, i was able to find an image of the uuni propane burner unit.  I think it will work on the 2s and the 3...
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I've had a blackstone for a couple of years. It works fantastic and I haven't done any mods. As a matter of fact, I am still using the original set of batteries in the motor (never used the power supply)

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • westernbbq
    @GlennM...nice za.   And i have a friend with a blackstone that i recently used at a party,  the thing worked flawlessly.    But my space is limited so until i get that outdoor kitchen with enough room to have a single purpose dedicated cooking device, i can only dream.  I have no issue with blackstone reliability, but only with the amount of space it takes up, especially in the trunk or back of jeep wen headed to beach, mountains and tailgate parties..

Quick question: do you cook anything else on blackstone?  If so what do you make?

Thanks

One thing i neglected t mention anove when i put the uuni gas adapter burner up there.   I went to contact us section on uuni website asking when burner adapter would be available.  They semd me  message indicating my request was recieved and that theyd try to get back to me in one business day.  That was a week ago and ive heard nothing
    Awful communication is a hallmark characteristic of uuni.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I have only cooked Za and calzone in mine. I actually leave it in the garage  

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited September 2017
    @GlennM nice, I had the opportunity to buy a floor model at Lowes for peanuts but passed, still kicking myself  :) 

@westernbbq uuni was supposed to market gas burner way back in July but still nada, many unhappy campers gave up waiting and fabricated their own.  no doubt uuni can crank out few pies beautifully, but no so easy when you try to make half dozen or more for a party, big challenge trying to replenish pellets without getting nasty smoke/soot.

canuckland
  • westernbbq
    @Canugghead...i had the smoke problem for  a mobile pizza party and heres what i learned:  if you get the cradle pellets glowing orange, sometimes with the help of a blow dryer to get it started, and keep the tube part of the hopper filled to the top (youll have to tap its sides once in a while to free up some clogs) the smoke factor is minimal. That continuous feed of a few pellets at a time from  full hopper works well.  For those times you do get smoke, waiting for about 2 mins or so before loading the next pie and getting the cradle pellets super hot eliminates the smoke issue.  But if you do this right the waiting is eliminated.   Last february i made 15 zas up in the snow and getting fire started took a little outside forced air assistance but then after that, with a continually filled hopper it worked well.

I wonder if uuni marketing team comprises youtube and instagram? Or if they adopted the same philosophy when launching a new product that bge uses...they tease and promise and keep us all waiting.  Had i known their communication would be this bad, i would have settled with one roccbox or the blackstone....

@GlennM. Nice calzone there brotha....
  • Just tried a wagyu strip steak in mine last night. Preheated the oven and a cast iron skillet inside to 840F. Placed the steak in the skillet dry. Cooked for 2 minutes, rotated the skillet, cooked for another 2 minutes. It was a perfect medium rare. Served it with a fire roasted red pepper romesco and beef tallow potatoes. There was tons of fat that rendered out of the steak. Very nice crust as well. 

• 20stone
    Just tried a wagyu strip steak in mine last night. Preheated the oven and a cast iron skillet inside to 840F. Placed the steak in the skillet dry. Cooked for 2 minutes, rotated the skillet, cooked for another 2 minutes. It was a perfect medium rare. Served it with a fire roasted red pepper romesco and beef tallow potatoes. There was tons of fat that rendered out of the steak. Very nice crust as well. 

That is a great looking plate!

Beef tallow, when lard just isn't good enough, and you don't have any duck fat.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Just tried a wagyu strip steak in mine last night. Preheated the oven and a cast iron skillet inside to 840F. Placed the steak in the skillet dry. Cooked for 2 minutes, rotated the skillet, cooked for another 2 minutes. It was a perfect medium rare. Served it with a fire roasted red pepper romesco and beef tallow potatoes. There was tons of fat that rendered out of the steak. Very nice crust as well. 

That is a great looking plate!

Beef tallow, when lard just isn't good enough, and you don't have any duck fat.
    I was out of duck fat. LOL
  • westernbbq
    @Big_Green_Craig, NICE job man,  wow. this is what i wanted to do last weekend.  now, you motivated me...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited September 2017
    I didnt get to broil steaks this weekend but @victor1, i was able to find an image of the uuni propane burner unit.  I think it will work on the 2s and the 3...
    I Mcgyver'd a gas burner for my 2s but it's a pain to setup and take down, hope the new burner will fit.

Meanwhile I cook pizza in the kitchen box, not too shabby. Wouldn't have bought the uuni if I knew what I know now, live and learn  :)

50/50 00/AP 62%H2O 48-hr cold proofed dough.  Gas oven preheated at max 550F 30-45 min, cooked in approx 4-5 min under broiler on 1/4" DIY baking steel sitting on 1" stone.

canuckland
  • westernbbq
    So now there is an uuni gas burner video on youtube amd of course no information on their website about how to order it
    I guess we must all decipher a series of cryptic  of clues in order to be able to order their products....