Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have or use the UUNI pizza oven?

https://uuni.net/pages/sustainability   

Looks pretty cool. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Pizzamaking.com has a lot of people who picked up the uuni and compare it to other pizza ovens.  There are pros and cons. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Those are killer looking set up and a great lookin pie.  Thanks 

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Someone posted something about this the other day.  Maybe @Jeremiah
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I think it was @The Cen-Tex Smoker . Be careful... he's a pro at making people here spend some $$$

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The setup above is about $7k
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Fire roasted red peppers 

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Mattman3969
    @eggheadinflorida - that set up is sweet.  If I was in my forever home I would incorporate one of those in a heartbeat but since I'm not, well you know.   

analyze adapt overcome

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Home is where you make it! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mattman3969
    I agree but I gotta be able to get get a return on my dollar. I won't invest any more in this house 

analyze adapt overcome

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Yeah the house looks more portable than that pizza oven. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @EggHeadinFlorida Which FB oven is that? Did you install it? I'm getting one soon so I might PM some questions if you're ok with that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    @caliking said:
    I think it was @The Cen-Tex Smoker . Be careful... he's a pro at making people here spend some $$$
    you got that right!
    sold out till March at uuni.net USD299 plus $? shipping.  also sold out at Amazon dot com.
    A canuck dealer has it (in stock hopefully) with $100 Boxing Week discount, free shipping, tried real hard to resist but failed  =)
    @Little Steven  @Little Steven wanna get one?  btw, someone on Kijiji is selling the crappy tire Cusinart oven you were interested in, asking $700.

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @chuckytheegghead lol, read mixed reviews at pizzamaking forum, hope the pros outweigh the cons. I'm interested in trying different cooks, not just pizza.
    canuckland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    No.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited January 2017
    Yes i bought an uuni back in april 2016.  I dont know how to copy the thread on handheld but the title is something along the lines of "Fired up the unni. First impressions and comparison to bge"

It is good at making za, i use it to supplement bge rather than replace it for pizza making.  I have used it very effectively as a broiler with a ci d.o. dd 5qt lid and its super slick for broiling steak salmon halibut and scallops  I got it as a fun toy for my birthday last year.  It is portable, easy to use amd is pretty much as advertised.  Company communication is horrible though but i guess bge has spoiled all of us in that area!

When the mrs and i settle on. Back yard plan my outdoor kitchen will have a brick pizza oven
  • westernbbq
    You bet.   I like it as a fun novelty item but it also works really well.  The need to rotate pies for even cooking is a bit of a pain but other than that the SS construction concept looks well executed and i am very excited to use this portable unit at the beach or at a tailgate if a bge gets to be too much.  I was considering configuring a gas burner for it so i can take it to tailgate parties where wood burners of any kind are prohibited...
  • Canugghead
    edited January 2017
    @westernbbq interesting idea on gas burner, staying tuned!  I like the Roccbox dual fuel config, however not sure how well it works without a chimney.

edit: apology to OP for threadjacking.
    canuckland
  • westernbbq
    edited January 2017
    @Canugghead, no aplogies on threadjacking as far as im concerned...we are all here to help each other with our passion Of making awesome food...i found a low pressure burner on amazon For 14 bucks and another gas line regulator combi for 23 so i will get it and try it out...my big complaint with uuni pellets is they sometimes scatter onto the stone and at times can generate a lot of smoke...like too much smoke at times

Ill post results here later and i am thinking that (gasp) the propane setup could work in the minimax.  The ONLY reason i am considering this is because at az cardinals games there is no wood or charcoal allowed to be burned in the parking lot and in the grass strip tailgate area. I understand why the rule exists as mess cleanups, hot coals and drunk football fans can be a bad mix...sooo for that perfectly seared steak or even a pizza at a football game tailgate via the minimax perhaps a gas setup is in order

Hope fellow eggers dont crucify me for this....
  • westernbbq
    edited January 2017
    Ok i got the burner, low pressure and the 1.4 gal propane tank. I acknowledge i said previously that i never want to go get propane again, or as i call it propain.  But conditions changed so i got it to make  gas cooking at tailgate parties with uuni where wood and charcoal as fuel source are prohibited.   Also the King Kooker low pressure burner i have wont fit minimax so thats out but it is perfect with uuni and uuni gets pretty hot with this thing so i am lookimg forward to firing up next yearand making za at tailgate parties ..a $25/ braided hose rounded out the package and i need to brace the venturi tube with bricks outside the uuni to keep burner sfability intact.   No picts yet but trust me.i  Did do it and ill get picts up here sometime...
  • Been super happy with the portable Pizza Party Oven. I got the wood and propane option for flexibility.  Amazing 60second cooks at 900F.  Costs $2-3k depending on model.
  • Canugghead
    @westernbbq Sweet, just realised I have two rusty turkey fryer propane stove burners that look promising!  Fired up my uuni on the weekend, will post another time.  Also noticed the rear pellet tray insert window has two unused threaded nuts, bet they are reserved for the upcoming gas burner that uuni announced will be backward compatible. 

canuckland
  • westernbbq
    I will get the setup together and take some pictures.  this weekend was rough with kids' flag football games and an additional tournament (don't ask) but i did test it out with the BGE pizza stone and i am pretty sure this is going to work really well.

I will buy the uuni retrofit gas burner when they make it available.

one question- does the rectangular uuni sheet stone hold up for your purposes or has it cracked yet?  I 've only used my uuni stone once but for the dozen or so times i've fired up the uuni i've used a bge stone- the largest round one that'll fit in there.  i don't remember which size tho!
  • Canugghead
    edited January 2017
    @westernbbq good question, see my 'uuniguration' post!  I cooked with 1/4" steel, bottom not crispy enough, may be because I was haven't issue with improper startup, and didn't allow sufficient time to reheat between pies.  As you can see below, my kiln stone is twice as thick as uuni stone, it also has 'legs', I may trim it to fit. The steel is practically identical to uuni stone in size, spooky!

canuckland
  • westernbbq
    Love the ingenuity!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    looks really cool . . but BlackStone 100% for me b/c ease and results . . pulled these last night for the Nat. Champ Game.  Made a few, but fav was copy of our fav spot called Harvest Pizzas creation called Spicy Yuma . . ours had Chipolte spiked tomato sauce, jalapeno, corn, chorizo, red onion, fresh motz, gouda and finish with cilantro, evoo.  These were 62% hydration, blend of KABF/00, ischia SD, 24 hrs in cooler w/ froz water bottle, then one night in fridge (just to delay) then bake on blackstone at 720ish. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    That thing looks ridiculous.  :o
    I have not read any reviews or details on the box... and I guess, for the price, maybe it's worth trying.  But if you already have a BGE you already own a superior pizza oven.  This seems unnecessary.

LBGE/Maryland
  • westernbbq
    I agree that pizza on bge is superior process but the uuni is way more portable, amd with the gas burner option either rigged or from uuni in future, makes this a pizza oven you can take to places where charcoal amd wood burning is prohibited