Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chorizo ABT's... or I'm a lazy sumbitch

Was out getting groceries at Mi Tienda (concept South American supermarket run by HEB here) for some greatness that will go down on Sunday. It was getting late, and I spied a tray of ABT's that then jumped into my cart. Yeah, I know. I was too lazy to make them myself. Did I mention that SWMBO is away for a few weeks? No pants... no drinking out of cups... decency be damned. 

Anyways, it bugged me too that I was being such a sellout.  Especially since I knew the ABT's just had cream cheese in them. Went back to the expansive meat counter and picked up some chorizo from the kind lady who had cut up a leg of cabrito for me.

Ran some errands, and fired up the large as soon as I got home. Unwrapped each ABT, packed some chorizo on, re-wrapped with the bacon,  and dusted with DP Pineapple Head. On the egg for an hr or something, at about 300°F. Glazed half of them with hot mango chutney. 

Turned out pretty damn good. Last time I made ABT's was a year ago. No plates or niceties. Ate them out of the tray, standing in the kitchen. A few beers may have fulfilled their destiny. And I got tired of trying to get my phone cam to focus. 

Wrapped one in a mixed (corn and flour) tortilla. They didn't stand a chance after that. Have to figure something out for breakfast now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    WHAT????  

HEB sells premade ABT's.

That's it sign going in the yard today. 

Enjoy the guy time with Cali price. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Lookin good there, California King! :flushed:
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks and sounds fantastic!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Great audible.  ABT's with chorizo and habanero cheese are at the top of my list.
    Those look great.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Sounds like a good day to buy a Rice cooker!! I'm just say'in...
    Oh and nice call on the ABT's. B) 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hotch said:
    Sounds like a good day to buy a Rice cooker!! I'm just say'in...
    Oh and nice call on the ABT's. B) 
    Ouch. Just ouch, man. :)

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Awesome. They look delicious. I'll also say that Pineapple Head is PERFECT for ABTs. I even mix a little in with my cream cheese. Way to go man. 
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Abts are so surprisingly good.  Those up there look like an awesome meal.  next you should turn it into a tamale!

My son had me coat some abts in gochujong paste last weekend.  He dubbed them "jalapeno ruby bites."  they were wicked.  next time i'm stuffing a pepcid into each one!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chorizo is the best in ABTs, good choice. So enticing I'm getting up off my butt and about to kill those three sleeping peppers in the fridge. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    It has come to my attention that someone I dedicated a very large portion of the last two days cooking with, was also "cookin' a little sumpin on the side". While I was stacking cinder blocks in >90F, he was carefully unwrapping STORE BOUGHT ABTs and stuffing them with chorizo.  When I was rehydrating peppers (that we bought TOGETHER) and zapping them in the Vitamix, he was roasting ABTs on his egg at home. 

It's not so much having a separate, tasty dish (though I DO like chorizo augmented ABTs), it's the LYING.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    It has come to my attention that someone I dedicated a very large portion of the last two days cooking with, was also "cookin' a little sumpin on the side". While I was stacking cinder blocks in >90F, he was carefully unwrapping STORE BOUGHT ABTs and stuffing them with chorizo.  When I was rehydrating peppers (that we bought TOGETHER) and zapping them in the Vitamix, he was roasting ABTs on his egg at home. 

It's not so much having a separate, tasty dish (though I DO like chorizo augmented ABTs), it's the LYING.
    That's ABT shaming. None of that on this pure-as-driven-snow forum.

As I was driving around today, I heard this bit about Aziz Ansari comparing his tours to Motley Crue tours. Apparently, Motley Crue members would attempt to hide their whoring around by sticking their weiners in burritos, so their girlfriends/SO's wouldn't find out.

Having thrown that out there, I may or may not have been wearing pants while "stuffing ABT's with chorizo'...

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mpd's and you'll have another kid. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking said:
    20stone said:

That's ABT shaming. None of that on this pure-as-driven-snow forum.

As I was driving around today, I heard this bit about Aziz Ansari comparing his tours to Motley Crue tours. Apparently, Motley Crue members would attempt to hide their whoring around by sticking their weiners in burritos, so their girlfriends/SO's wouldn't find out.

Having thrown that out there, I may or may not have been wearing pants while "stuffing ABT's with chorizo'...
    I have so many questions right now...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • great flavors going on here
  • caliking
    blind99 said:
    Abts are so surprisingly good.  Those up there look like an awesome meal.  next you should turn it into a tamale!

My son had me coat some abts in gochujong paste last weekend.  He dubbed them "jalapeno ruby bites."  they were wicked.  next time i'm stuffing a pepcid into each one!
    That sounds awesome! I'm stealing it.  

• caliking
    Hibby said:
    Awesome. They look delicious. I'll also say that Pineapple Head is PERFECT for ABTs. I even mix a little in with my cream cheese. Way to go man. 
    Pineapple Head on bacon is a winner. I like to mix shredded cheddar with the cream cheese too. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I'll go with sumbich. Go make yourself a sammie.
    New Albany, Ohio