Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Equifax Data Breach, Danger of Identity Theft

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
I'm a little concerned that with all the focus on the recent hurricanes, this story is getting lost in the shuffle:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/equifax-hack-hits-credit-histories-of-up-to-143-million-americans/2017/09/07/a4ae6f82-941a-11e7-b9bc-b2f7903bab0d_story.html

143 Million Americans!  That is a HUGE breach, which is unreal given the fact that Equifax's ONLY JOB is to collect and store people's personal data.  Heads should roll at that company over this.  Even worse that they've known about the breach for more than a month and are only now informing the public.

Our PII was stolen a few years ago as part of the breach of the government database (I'm a contractor).  We didn't find out about this until we went to file our taxes, and learned that someone had already submitted a fraudulent claim with our info.  Trust me you do not want anything close to this to happen to you.  The IRS office makes the DMV look like a model of professionalism and efficiency.  

Be on the lookout for direct mail from Equifax.  That is how they're supposed to be informing people whose info was compromised.  They also have a website where you can submit your name and SSN and they'll let you know somehow, but I'm not sure I'd trust a company that just had such a breach with that kind of data at this point.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments