Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Equifax Data Breach, Danger of Identity Theft

Options
2»

Comments

• nolabrew
    Options
    Assuming my data was compromised (50/50 shot), I'm going to sue them in small claims court. 
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've always figured that if I choose to do business with an online retailer, I'm assuming some risk that the retailer will be lax with its cyber security and my info will be at risk. What really pisses me off about this is that people have no choice that Equifax and the like have their personal information.

Add to the fact that apparently Equifax didn't know for two months that they had been hacked, and then sat on the info for more than a month, I wouldn't be surprised if the a$$holes at the helm decided this would be a good week to announce the breach because they knew hurricane news would dominate the landscape.

What sucks even more is the punishment will be a slap on the wrist -- if that -- to the people in charge. Certainly some low-level workers will be made the scapegoats.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    bgebrent said:
    As stated above, just freeze your accounts at all 3 companies and keep up with your PINs. 
    There are four consumer credit bureaus, including EquifaxExperianInnovis and Trans Union
    Make sure you freeze all four  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I've always figured that if I choose to do business with an online retailer, I'm assuming some risk that the retailer will be lax with its cyber security and my info will be at risk. What really pisses me off about this is that people have no choice that Equifax and the like have their personal information.

Add to the fact that apparently Equifax didn't know for two months that they had been hacked, and then sat on the info for more than a month, I wouldn't be surprised if the a$$holes at the helm decided this would be a good week to announce the breach because they knew hurricane news would dominate the landscape.

What sucks even more is the punishment will be a slap on the wrist -- if that -- to the people in charge. Certainly some low-level workers will be made the scapegoats.
    A rational person would think that folks on all sides of the political spectrum could come to agreement on suitable regulations/fines for these sort of things but alas...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfie51sb
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A rational person would think that folks on all sides of the political spectrum could come to agreement on suitable regulations/fines for these sort of things but alas...
    Like nearly everything else, some people will look to make this yet another political issue. Alas ...

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Like nearly everything else, some people will look to make this yet another political issue. Alas ...
    It definitely is a political issue.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

This isn't a left or right issue in my view so much as a "the system is broken" type deal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The breach was related to a 9-year old vulnerability that was only discovered and disclosed this year:
    https://qz.com/1073221/the-hackers-who-broke-into-equifax-exploited-a-nine-year-old-security-flaw/

Buckle up, I'll bet there will be more of these in the near future. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker