Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT: Equifax Data Breach, Danger of Identity Theft

JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,466
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
I'm a little concerned that with all the focus on the recent hurricanes, this story is getting lost in the shuffle:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/equifax-hack-hits-credit-histories-of-up-to-143-million-americans/2017/09/07/a4ae6f82-941a-11e7-b9bc-b2f7903bab0d_story.html

143 Million Americans!  That is a HUGE breach, which is unreal given the fact that Equifax's ONLY JOB is to collect and store people's personal data.  Heads should roll at that company over this.  Even worse that they've known about the breach for more than a month and are only now informing the public.

Our PII was stolen a few years ago as part of the breach of the government database (I'm a contractor).  We didn't find out about this until we went to file our taxes, and learned that someone had already submitted a fraudulent claim with our info.  Trust me you do not want anything close to this to happen to you.  The IRS office makes the DMV look like a model of professionalism and efficiency.  

Be on the lookout for direct mail from Equifax.  That is how they're supposed to be informing people whose info was compromised.  They also have a website where you can submit your name and SSN and they'll let you know somehow, but I'm not sure I'd trust a company that just had such a breach with that kind of data at this point.  
"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

Comments

• Awesome.  
    And you're right.....of all the companies that should NOT have this happen...they should be at the top of that list.  Identity theft is no joke as it isn't just financial anymore.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,157
    Congrats to Equifax!  That's larger than that of the two or three data breaches by DOD in recent years. In which 2x my info was compromised. 
    Yes, that seems legit....punch in my name and SSN onto their website :angry:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 6,003
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,203
    Yup. 
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,667
    I believe the equifax page to check if you were part of the breach only collects partial SS# and is used to reserve a place in line for you to register for the free credit monitoring they are offering to everyone.  If your data were exposed in the breach, they will notify you from that entry.
    Austin, TX
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,383
    They didn't know about it. . . 

They did not receive the information on company letterhead, so they didn't know about it.  

You can't really choose to use their services or not use their services.  If you get your credit pulled (i just did several times for construction loan and refi after construction was done) they receive your info and report on you.  

I tried their online "see if you could be a victim" link.  It was useless.  It did not confirm anything.  I will wait for my letter in the mail.  Funny how your info can be stolen in a millisecond and it takes weeks to generate a mass mailing and they snail mail you the info.  It's the same with banks.  If something his happening with your account that is suspicious, they send you a letter.  THANKS!
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GoldenQGoldenQ Posts: 319
    Yeah   we just got a bogus 2000 charge our credit monitor called  us about  and now getting new card numbers
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
    If those folks are telling truth and didn't know, that's even sadder. How could they not know? What kind of organization are they running?
  • Equifax when you apply for a loan: yeah you missed one payment to the gas company 12 years ago, so we're sorry no loan for you.

Equifax after this breach: what can we say, sh!t happens!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

Probably time for me to get LifeLock 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,215
    Put a credit freeze on at each of the 3 companies: Experian, Equifax and Transunion.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,417
    I know I'm at a different age cycle than most of you here, but years ago I locked down my credit reporting at all 3 bureaus. That is a feature by law they have to abide by which means they can not disclose ANYTHING in my file without written permission from me to do so. Obviously I'm not borrowing anything nor even opening new credit cards. Now, with that said, I'm still wondering if my file was breached, so I too am anxious hoping I don't hear from them!!!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • RRP said:
    I know I'm at a different age cycle than most of you here, but years ago I locked down my credit reporting at all 3 bureaus. That is a feature by law they have to abide by which means they can not disclose ANYTHING in my file without written permission from me to do so. Obviously I'm not borrowing anything nor even opening new credit cards. Now, with that said, I'm still wondering if my file was breached, so I too am anxious hoping I don't hear from them!!!
    Good thinking Ron, seriously.  I saw one article on this issue where a former employee of Equifax and a credit expert was suggesting that EVERYONE lock up their credit reporting, right now.  THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

• Looks like LifeLock is getting lots of new biz.  I just signed up and got my welcome email saying I'm now covered.  But trying to login to their site is timing out.  Too much traffic!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,383
    Looks like LifeLock is getting lots of new biz.  I just signed up and got my welcome email saying I'm now covered.  But trying to login to their site is timing out.  Too much traffic!
    I wonder if the three managers from equifax bought stock in lifelock as they sold their equifax stock.
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    Looks like LifeLock is getting lots of new biz.  I just signed up and got my welcome email saying I'm now covered.  But trying to login to their site is timing out.  Too much traffic!
    I wonder if the three managers from equifax bought stock in lifelock as they sold their equifax stock.
    sure wish I had
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,596
    how, when, or where did i agree to any of that, is it on mortgage agrrements, credit card agreements etc, seems like plenty of places to start a class action ;)
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,667
    well, the lawyers won't get paid and I won't get a check for $0.05, what else is impacted ?
    Austin, TX
  • All Duke faculty just received a recommendation from our Chief Information Security Officer to put a credit freeze in place with the 3 credit reporting groups, right away.  

He also recommended people read this piece:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-the-security-freeze/

• They had ONE job!  Have the IRS audit all the senior management and all of the IT staff regardless of rank. Then leak their Tinder profiles to Julian Assange.
  • @DoubleEgger -great movie, love that quote.  I actually like it better than the original (from Nietzsche) 

“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . . when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you”

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,375
    Yeah, I remember back in the early days of Lifelock the CEO used to brag about how secure it was and he had his SS# pasted on billboards and other ads and...someone hacked in and stole his info.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
    I haven't really paid much attention to the Equifax thing but was the nature of their data breach such that locking down your info at the major credit reporting firms have made any difference?

It's one thing to stop a credit agency from just intentionally giving out your info to pretty much anyone that asks, it's a whole other matter if hackers are getting into a corporate network and just vacuuming up info.
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,215
    As stated above, just freeze your accounts at all 3 companies and keep up with your PINs. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
    bgebrent said:
    As stated above, just freeze your accounts at all 3 companies and keep up with your PINs. 
    There are four consumer credit bureaus, including EquifaxExperianInnovis and Trans Union