Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Onion....French Onion Soup.....eggs resting tonight......

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
The late spring brings a sweet delight to Vidalia Georgia, and thankfully is shared with surrounding states. This staple can be found on the counters of most southerner homes. Those north and west who gain access are fortunate, but likely don't have as long availability. While temps are not cool by any means here in SC, it is onion soup time for me. Every Vidalia harvest, I do at least one French Onion Soup.

I sauté my onions and add a little fresh garlic until sweated. Salt and pepper to taste (I like pepper...so I use liberally). In a pot I mix beef broth with beef consume, Worcestershire sauce, a shot of red wine (sorry @YukonRon it is a key ingredient). I add the onions and let simmer for about 30 min. 

I fill my soup bowl, place some (cubed & toasted) French bread onto the top. I grate a healthy portion of fresh Parmesan cheese.......then top with a couple slices of a nice Boars Head Swiss Cheese. I broil until nice and brown. 

I have prepared the wif and I a nice spinach salad with boiled egg, bacon bits, Vidalia Onion (again) Ex Sharp Cheddar...and a home made sweet dressing (consisting of oil, ketchup, sugar, onion, garlic paprika and salt).

If you can still find um, the time is now to get your Onion Soup on. You want regret it.

Thanks for lookin. 

Robin
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments