Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Vidalia Onion....French Onion Soup.....eggs resting tonight......

northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,245
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
The late spring brings a sweet delight to Vidalia Georgia, and thankfully is shared with surrounding states. This staple can be found on the counters of most southerner homes. Those north and west who gain access are fortunate, but likely don't have as long availability. While temps are not cool by any means here in SC, it is onion soup time for me. Every Vidalia harvest, I do at least one French Onion Soup.

I sauté my onions and add a little fresh garlic until sweated. Salt and pepper to taste (I like pepper...so I use liberally). In a pot I mix beef broth with beef consume, Worcestershire sauce, a shot of red wine (sorry @YukonRon it is a key ingredient). I add the onions and let simmer for about 30 min. 

I fill my soup bowl, place some (cubed & toasted) French bread onto the top. I grate a healthy portion of fresh Parmesan cheese.......then top with a couple slices of a nice Boars Head Swiss Cheese. I broil until nice and brown. 

I have prepared the wif and I a nice spinach salad with boiled egg, bacon bits, Vidalia Onion (again) Ex Sharp Cheddar...and a home made sweet dressing (consisting of oil, ketchup, sugar, onion, garlic paprika and salt).

If you can still find um, the time is now to get your Onion Soup on. You want regret it.

Thanks for lookin. 

Robin
Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”

Comments

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,627
    Robin, that is indeed a special treat when made with Vidalias. Yours looks great.  Enjoy. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,437
    Beautiful cook and I love onion soup, Vidalia onion soup is just sooooo much better.
    I have no problem cooking with red wine, occasionally I put it in the food. Don't skimp when cooking, use good wine.
    Outstanding presentation, 5 stars worthy for sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Looks delicious as usual Robin! I grew up selling Vidalia onions every year as a boy scout in north Georgia, and that's one of the the things I have truly missed in my travels. Everywhere I've e been they sell some type of sweet onion, but none of um compare to Vidalias. Love me a Vidalia sandwich or Vidalia onion soup!!
  • Ugh. Looks amazing. One of my favorites. My dad always makes it the second the weather gets...well, bearable. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Very nice! It's still a little steamy (and stormy) to even think of hot soup here, but yours looks excellent. Vidalia's rock in my book.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,245
    Very nice! It's still a little steamy (and stormy) to even think of hot soup here, but yours looks excellent. Vidalia's rock in my book.
    I lived in the Orlando area for a while (Longwood)....and no what you mean. Thanks and stay safe down there.

@bgebrent @YukonRon @Larrycg @Killit_and_Grillit appreciate the kind words. The Vidalia Onion is a culinary jewel for sure.

• WOW looks great 
  • I have oh-so-fond memories of onion rings made of Vidalias that we would get at a restaurant when we lived in Winston-Salem.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

edited September 2017
    Larrycg said:
    Looks delicious as usual Robin! I grew up selling Vidalia onions every year as a boy scout in north Georgia, and that's one of the the things I have truly missed in my travels. Everywhere I've e been they sell some type of sweet onion, but none of um compare to Vidalias. Love me a Vidalia sandwich or Vidalia onion soup!!
    Forgot.....War Damn Eagle this weekend!

• WDE.... Hope to be leaving you with some very disapointed Clemson farmers this weekend!
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,625
    One of my favorite little treats. Looks great!
    I have oh-so-fond memories of onion rings made of Vidalias that we would get at a restaurant when we lived in Winston-Salem.
    Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a few onions and some killa OR mix.

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,763
    Wow. And my phone never rang tonight...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    Jeremiah said:
    You have service over there at the new palace?

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,763
    Jeremiah said:
    You have service over there at the new palace?
    We have our own hot spot and all...the password is 7ftcoatofarms.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Looks fantastic!  It's getting cool at night in Central Ohio and French Onion soup is one of my favorite things in the world!  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • bookmarked!  I love french onion soup when I'm out. Never thought to make it myself. Looking forward to trying this.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • Love French onion soup and your's looks sublime. Nice work, and thanks for the instructions. I need to try this.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,259
    Looks good, I f*cking LOVE French onion soup.

We make that a few times a year. Personally, I find Vidalias a bit too mild when cooked, great for salsas, salads, etc. 

SWMBO made a couple of onion pies with Vidalias - delish.  I'll try to find a pic.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,259

• DredgerDredger Posts: 1,453
    @northGAcock, beautiful meal. Thanks for the reminder that I need to make a batch. It's 52 degrees here this morning. Time to get my french onion soup on. We are lucky enough to have the real Vidalia onions available in our area.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RedSkipRedSkip Posts: 1,303
    @northGAcock @nolaegghead These soups look clutch! 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Very nice Robin, it's 43 here this am so I need to give onion soup a try. Care to share how you make the dressing on the salad?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Very nice Robin, it's 43 here this am so I need to give onion soup a try. Care to share how you make the dressing on the salad?
    Time to build a fire Jim.

Happy to....It is a killa dressing for spinach really.

1 Cup cooking oil
    2/3 cup catsup
    1/2 cup red wine viniger
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp salt
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 small onion grated

Mix together
    Shake well before using.

• Sea2SkiSea2Ski Posts: 2,700
    Looks awesome. Luckily we can get Vidalias here as well. I think I made FOS about 5 years ago and we said we had to do it again because it is so good. So many things to make but only so many meals to eat. This has to get on the list. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------
  • Love a good French onion soup. Looks awesome man.
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,655

Great write up Robin.  Soup looks delicious.

Phoenix 
  • Outstanding Robin..... French Onion soup is my favorite... wish I had some of that!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • That looks outstanding....both the soup AND the salad!  I'd pay good money for that at a restaurant!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), watching sunsets on the waterfront at Lake Buchanan, TX.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  2 MiniMaxes. 36" Blackstone.