Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Ribs

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,367
 I tried baby back ribs in the sous vide for the first time. I did the 10 hours at 165. They came out really really good! I would like to try them next time for 36 hours at the lower temperature and see how they compare?    A quick  spin on the Joe jr and they were done! 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Those look fantastic
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,064
    Options
    Yessir!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    #1 in your program and #1 in your heart, looking good!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good! 

As a general rule, as you drop the temp you'll get less moisture loss, although time can lessen this, but you'll also have less fat render.  Depending on your meat, you can control the fat with the temp. 
    Options
    I will try the long bath next time for comparison. These may have been drier than a 6 hour l&s but the texture and taste was great. I didn't use any liquid smoke, will try that next time?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks great!

weve done 162 for 4 hrs a few times and I like the results a lot. Tender but not fall off the bone. Check out the ChefSteps recipe - they use liquid smoke. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you are thinking of using liquid smoke you should split your ribs into two groups.  Use liquid smoke on one group and not on the other.  Some people like liquid smoke, but others think it is _________ (fill in the blank with your favorite unfavorable expression). Add smoke to the second batch with the egg.  Compare.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great, I really need to try this out

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Looks good. Are you just searing on the grill?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I will try the long bath next time for comparison. These may have been drier than a 6 hour l&s but the texture and taste was great. I didn't use any liquid smoke, will try that next time?

you can also add smoked salt or smoked paprika to your rub to get some real smoke flavor on there. Chef steps has a great smoked bbq rub recipe for doing SV bbq. I use it on everything. Very smoky, but I like the flavor profile much better than liquid smoke. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Those ribs look really nice, well done.

Liquid smoke is the same stuff that condenses on your food when you smoke it normally.  I have done liquid smoke, then sous vide and liked it.  I have also done smoke, then sous vide, and that was great as well.  I end up doing the second method most, but to bring in even more blasphemy, I have been smoking them on my smokin-it #3 electric smoker :open_mouth: most because its easy to keep the temp below 200. My goal is to get smoke on them, not cook them, I leave the cooking to the sous vide.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina.... Could you smoke first at 250 for a while and finish in the sv? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Looks good. Are you just searing on the grill?
    Yes, I finished them on the grill. Put them on about 300 for a bit with Apple chips. After they dried a little and firmed up I sauced them and flipped them until they looked good. It was a good way to have them when you come home from work late, doesn't take long to finish them. I think they are better than instant pot ribs (which are quite good as well)