Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gaskets

Does anyone know if you can fit the Komado Joe gasket to the Egg? I know it's heresy but their gasket looks way better. Also where can you buy?

Comments

• I think the Rutland gasket is superior to anything else.  Use your search function as there is tons of info here on the subject.  If you decide you want a Rutland, pm @RRP.  Ron's a great guy and will hook you up.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I think a kamado joe gasket would work just fine.  At one time KJ was giving gaskets away free to owners of big green eggs.  They sent me a few and they looked just like the ones for BGE.  I never installed them however, and I am not sure where they are at this point.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I believe the Rutland may have asbestos in it. Be careful... And the direction to install is hard to find. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The media is blowing one right now.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    There is no asbestos in the Rutland gasket - @henapple is just blowing smoke up your skirt! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    But there is fiberglass 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    I have rutlands on all three of my eggs and very satisfied.  You will never need another gasket in your lifetime, also cheaper than BGE replacement

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    But there is fiberglass 
    Yes there is! Just like that Fiberglass gasket around the oven doors that have been sold for years and years and years!
  • henapple said:
    I believe the Rutland may have asbestos in it. Be careful... And the direction to install is hard to find. 
    What's the big deal about asbestos?  Heck, we have lead in the water around here.  Asbestos?  No big deal.

Listen to Ron, and take what the redneck says with a grain of salt.

I've had two rutlands on my XL.  The first base cracked and I just replaced it.  Me & Wilma installed the second rutland.  The first time three or four years ago was straight forward & easy.  This time my back was killing me.  It looks like it was installed by two monkeys fighting over a banana, but its on.  I haven't cooked on it yet, but I will on Friday.
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    RRP said:
    But there is fiberglass 
    Yes there is! Just like that Fiberglass gasket around the oven doors that have been sold for years and years and years!
    Do they still sell kitchen ovens with gaskets containing fiberglass? I know my almost 40 year old ovens have some sort of high temp rubber to seal the oven doors and never had any sort of fiberglass gasket.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Had a rutland gasket, it looked nothing like any oven gasket I ever saw. 
    I didn't dig the fiberglass fibers sticking out the way they did. The fibers are far more likely to break off and get in your food then the wire brushes people continually put down here.

• Hungry Joe
    To answer the OP, are you asking about the new version ll gasket or the older one that looks like felt? Either way I believe the width is thicker on the KJ then the egg but I have nothing to back that up.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    To answer the OP, are you asking about the new version ll gasket or the older one that looks like felt? Either way I believe the width is thicker on the KJ then the egg but I have nothing to back that up.
    Amazing post
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • RRP
    I didn't dig the fiberglass fibers sticking out the way they did. The fibers are far more likely to break off and get in your food then the wire brushes people continually put down here.

Fine. The Rutland may not be for everybody! As for the broken fibers or hairs as I call them I offer the very simple solution of merely hitting them with a butane lighter and they are gone! but to equate a tiny broken fiber or even fibers doing the same damage  as wires from grill brushes is silly! 
  • Hungry Joe
    edited August 2017
    tml1230 said:
    Amazing post

I phrased it like that because another poster mentioned Kamado Joe gave away gaskets to BGE owners. I can in fact state the newer version ll gasket will not work on the BGE.

I am amazing, sometimes. Thanks for the compliment.

Hope your rutland works out for you.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I find the fibrous texture given off by my Rutland gasket to give a warm prickly feeling. :wink:
    Oh and make sure to follow the directions verbatim. Don't be preoccupied with anything else whilst installing. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hungry Joe
    edited August 2017
    I've seen at least two in the past two months on here that were mangled because of miss aligned hinges. Looked ugly to me.

Though I'm sure there is an easy seven step fix.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    RRP said:
    But there is fiberglass 
    The stuff that's a health hazard?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    I've seen at least two in the past two months on here that were mangled because of miss aligned hinges. Looked ugly to me.

No 7 step solution needed, but I've finally sensed your mission here tonight...why, though I don't know, but have your fun.
  • EGGjlmh
    RRP said:

No 7 step solution needed, but I've finally sensed your mission here tonight...why, though I don't know, but have your fun.

I will never figure out why people intentionly want to be a DIIK on here, they think you are making millions off these???

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    RRP said:
    But there is fiberglass 
    RRP said:
    But there is fiberglass 
    And UnAmerican 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EGGjlmh

Why would you rub your food along your gasket when taking food on/off the egg?  I know, you will say that it will "break off the gasket" and float onto your food.......Not gonna happen

• Hungry Joe
    edited August 2017
    EGGjlmh said:

Why would you rub your food along your gasket when taking food on/off the egg?  I know, you will say that it will "break off the gasket" and float onto your food.......Not gonna happen
    I didn't like it, why would you care? 
    I'm not the one that said it was like an oven gasket. It's not.
    The seven step thing on the hinge was just a light hearted dig at some of the "simple" things Ron posts. I should have taken into account the fact he doesn't take joking around at his expense very well.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh said:

I didn't like it, why would you care? 
    I'm not the one that said it was like an oven gasket. It's not.
    The seven step thing on the hinge was just a light hearted dig at some of the "simple" things Ron posts. I should have taken into account the fact he doesn't take joking around at his expense very well.

You are right, sorry, I misread it......Just have to decide if I should peel my rutlands off, Thanks for clearing up for me.

• Hungry Joe
    edited August 2017
    Lots of folks love the rutland gasket. Use your own judgment. Most folks have no problems at all with it and would never go back.

I did buy my son a Kamado Joe Classic ll and it has a fiberglass core gasket. I would use that in a second over the felt or the rutland but I doubt will ever come to the BGE. The difference is the fiberglass in surrounded by a woven material and contained. It looks 100x better then either. As a matter of fact, it looks like an oven gasket.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The Rutland is like a landfill or Flint water or bristle scraper.  Stay away!!  @RRP kindly sent me two a few years ago for my first two eggs that have yet to need the replacement.  Not sure they ever will.  If they do, I'm loaded to bear.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EGGjlmh
    Lots of folks love the rutland gasket. Use your own judgment. Most folks have no problems at all with it and would never go back.
    My point exactly.

• To answer some of the posts I was talking about the new Komado Joe gasket which looks like its real durable and builds a really good seal. Their gas lift deal looks good too. I love my BGE but they have fallen behind in my honest and English opinion.

I have extensively researched the Rutland and was about to go that way. I am not distracted by all the asbestos/fibreglass stuff as I think you'd have to literally rub it into your food to be remotely exposed.

Thank you for all the feedback.