Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet Grill/Smokers, anyone own one? Thoughts on them?

I currently own a XLBE but I'm looking for an addition to the family. I'm looking at the Pellet Grill/Smokers because of the ease of use. My wife would be able to start grilling/smoking foods. The BGE is a little intimidating to her. Just curious if there are any of you that have used one and what your thoughts on them are. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    it's your oven outside.....turn on, set temperature and cook in 25.  easy clean out.

we sell the Louisiana Grills, lg series.  Couple reasons why:
    - no stack so it does not look like a big grill when covered, significant others like that  
    - has heavy porcelain coated grids,
    - has the slider plate for grilling over the pot.  
    - electronic controls.  
    - 14 ga. construction.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    @tjv Funny, I had a friend send me the link to a Louisana Grills Champion. Looked good and at a decent price.

XL BGE

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    @bosco0633, if he's still lurking around, can give you some good comments.  I've been eyeing the yoder 640 and that new timberline 1300 (I think bosco has that one). 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Arkysmokin
    Ya, I was hung up on the Yoder but after looking at the Louisiana Grills it got me thinking.

XL BGE

• I know nothing......  but a friend has a Rec Tec and loves it fwiw.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I am sure the Louisana Grills Champion works well, I saw the in Costco and was not that impressed with the quality as it appeared in the store
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I was torn between the LG and GMG. I opted for the GMG Jim Bowie.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Why spend upwards of $600 for a new contraption, on top of having to buy & store pellets, when you can purchase a Flame Boss, Auber or similar that will perform much better? A blower regulates pit temp while their apps track the pit & meat temp right on your phone.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • @candid , I don't think an egg with a blower attachment is the same as a pellet grill/smoker. Eggs aren't for everyone. I have several eggs, but if I mention selling the gasser my wife would kill me. Nothing is easier than pushing a button and its ready to go. 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    @cookingdude555, That is true. If it is for the wife and she requests it, then I digress.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Memphis is in a league of their own in both performance and price. The new Traeger timberline is a very good unit as well with insulated cook chamber, wifi, Big hopper, and rear exhaust in lieu of a stack. The MAK and Yoder are solid as well. I am sure there are many others depending on your wants and needs. This category is where the Grill grates really shine as an accessory IMO. Look at me spending your accessories money too! Lol!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have been thinking about a Rec Tec. I have heard good things. Plus they make them near here. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Have had a GMG Jim Bowie since 2010 and use it every week, at least.  Unbeatable for reverse sear steaks, as it will hold 150 degrees in any but really hot weather, giving the meat a lot of time in smoke.  It sits on my covered front  porch and we're in real snow country, so it's the only burner getting used for about 4 months of the year.

It can be below zero and starting the fire is an indoor push of the remote and another button push to select temp.  Generally ready to add food in less than 20 minutes under these conditions and that  is my first step outdoors.  =)

I have many different outdoor cookers and each of them has uses and each gets used on a regular basis and I enjoy using every one.

• CanDid said:
    @cookingdude555, That is true. If it is for the wife and she requests it, then I digress.
    Just realized that was your first post.  Didn't mean to jump on you.  Welcome to the group.  Keep posting.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I have been thinking about a Rec Tec. I have heard good things. Plus they make them near here. 
    I have no personal experience, but I have also heard good things about Rec Tec.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I've tried a couple of Traegers and the food was good. Easy to use as well. It's like setting the oven to heat up. If it was just you using it, get a blower unit. If the egg scares the wife, the pellet smoker would be great for her. Several friends have them.

A buddy has a new small Traeger and it keeps having serious flame-up and overheating. It even made a loud bang a couple of times and had smoke coming out the hopper. Couldn't leave it unattended or the temp would skyrocket. I guess he's figured out the problems cause he takes it camping and posts pics of it working. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Arkysmokin
    Thank you all for the information. I do own a blower for the XL, Flameboss 200 and I love it. This purchase would be more for my wife than me.

XL BGE

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    A close friend has a Yoder & swears by it & he previously owned a Traeger which is not even close as far as quality.  He's also had a great experience with Yoder customer support after the sale & it's Made in USA.   He called CS on the weekend & the President was taking calls.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Arkysmokin
    @SSQUAL612 I think that is the route I'm going to take. Thanks for the information and WOW on the President taking calls.

XL BGE

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I wanted a Yoder or Rec Tec but wasn't if I be happy with a pellet grill. So I got lower end brand and I have been real happy with my Camp Chef. Some walmarts have the Camp Chef Se for $169 on clearance. Check Brickseek.com.

• bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    maso said:
    @bosco0633, if he's still lurking around, can give you some good comments.  I've been eyeing the yoder 640 and that new timberline 1300 (I think bosco has that one). 
    I'm still here!!

I came into a Traeger Pro 34 last year after cooking with ceramics for the past 5 years.  I have to say it was a beautiful addition.  

So much so, I upgraded to the timberline 1300 series.  

I couldnt be happier with mine and find that it to be a great addition to my Kamado's.  

It fits thet monday to friday void where i where I wouldn't have time to get the lump going.  Having two boys in rep sorts, eats up our time.  But now I just click a switch and I'm up and running in no time.  

Its like having a wood flavoured gasser, an overall convection oven feel to cooking.  

I love it for jerky 165 all day long, I enjoy cooking without charcoal taste on some foods.  It's great for baking and excels in low and slow.  

It can hit 500, but still I wouldn't do pizza or get that nice dark sear on steaks. 

I have said it before...

the kamado is the Swiss Army knife of BBQ.  It does everything well, but there are other cookers that do things a bit better or more efficiently.  

Having this grill has opened my eyes to what else is out there and has allowed me to up my game with respect to cooking.  

My my wife loves it as she can finally cook again. 

I would never own just a Pellet smoker as I would be limited, however, having the right tool for the job has become my focus.  

My next tool tool will likely be a dedicated pizza oven
  • I currently own a XLBE but I'm looking for an addition to the family. I'm looking at the Pellet Grill/Smokers because of the ease of use. My wife would be able to start grilling/smoking foods. The BGE is a little intimidating to her. Just curious if there are any of you that have used one and what your thoughts on them are. 
    I have a Louisiana Grills CS 570.  Bought it close to a year ago.  Love it.  Still overall like the flavor of the BGE better so I use both.  But the pellet grills are incredibly easy to use.  Basically a smoker oven outside.  

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have a Cookshack FEC 120. It's really too big for home use. I bought it because my large egg was always short on capacity for a large group of guest.

I will say it can cook (1) 10 # butt or 15 with ease. It cooks the same regardless of cooking load.

I really like the consistency and it is always producing the good thin blue smoke, it never makes the white acrid smoke.

Given my positive experiencene with Cookshack I would recommend either the Cookshack PG 500 or the PG 1000 for backyard use. 

The Memphis grills, from what I've read, are an excellent choice also.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited August 2017
    Couldn't agree more with @bosco0633 . Pulled the trigger on a Traeger PRO 34 recently...   

First cook...

canuckland
  • Thank you all for the information. I do own a blower for the XL, Flameboss 200 and I love it. This purchase would be more for my wife than me.
    If your wife wants "her own" grill then by all
    means, run, don't walk, to get her the best one you can afford. I would be in the truck right now. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Arkysmokin
    Thank you all for the information

XL BGE

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Please update once you purchase.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    A friend has one, unsure of brand but results off it are always good....I'd go with tjv reccomendation
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My experience with pellet smokers was a Traeger, which I believe was during a time they were made overseas. (In China?)
    I think the quality, during that run, suffered greatly. I think that is why I never developed the curiosity to consider a pellet smoker.
    I live in an extremely humid area, and it remains so year round. That seemed to be a problem for the Traeger I am referring to.
    The issues that appeared to be the most frustrating, to my neighbor which owned the Traeger,  was corrosion and the pellets getting clogged in the feeder frequently.
    I would repair our neighbors Traeger seemingly almost every time he used it, until he got fed up, and bought a BGE (His wife actually bought it for him).
    They have since moved, and the Traeger was sold eventually for almost nothing.
    I may be mistaken, but, I believe them to be made domestically these days and the quality has apparently returned, certainly based on the comments made in this forum on recent purchases.
    I own eggs. I do not see the need for a savings of 15 - 45 minutes. I think I can cook pretty fast with my MM or the XL, using Rockwood.
    Light the lump, prep the food, then cook. Done.
    Two glasses of wine in the duration. Works out pretty ok.
    I see them at Costco a few times a year. I might actually listen next time.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill with 900* propane sear box attachment. A set it and forget it wood fired convection oven to supplement my LBGE, gasser and griddles is something I have convinced myself I "need". It is chock full of neat tricks like pellet dump and burn pot auto cleanout. If anyone has any real world feedback on this model I would love to hear it.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim