Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anyone have a Flir One Pro?

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
I just ordered one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11517/flir-one-pro-review

http://www.flir.com/flirone/pro/

I have an HVAC problem that I think this can help diagnose and it seems like a great tool to evaluate the temperature gradients in a grill, oven, pan, griddle, etc.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited July 2017
    I have the E6, love it all there products are great so you won't be disappointed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    We have a couple of Flir products.  They're great for chillers, MDP breakers, RTUs, ducting, Lieberts, refrigeration etc etc
    As @lkapigian you won't be disappointed. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Now that is a nice toy - kinda like X-Ray glasses......any nice neighbours around?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Now that is a nice toy - kinda like X-Ray glasses......any nice neighbours around?
    It'll only show where their hot spots are. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    And Moisture
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    lkapigian said:
    And Moisture
    And from what I remember, hot and wet are good, in some things....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I bought a Seek Reveal  a year  and a half ago.

These thermal imager things are really good at highlighting drafts around doors/windows/outlets/etc. and you don't have to worry about emissivity settings in order to get a more accurate temp reading.

Gratuitous cast iron griddle on my KJ Jr. pix:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I just bought a laser pointer/thermal thingie, and then you guys do this.  :angry:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I really want a FLIR scope to mount on a rifle. Would come in real handy taking out feral hogs at night. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have the seek. Works great for seeing insulation issues at work. I am an hvac sales guy.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Can this be used to tell if the handle on a CI pan is hot?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Legume said:
    :lol:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Legume said:
    That is what your significant other is for.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I just ordered one.

Well, you pushed me over the edge. I sent them an e-mail 2 days ago, and they said it would work w. my iPad. I inherited a house from an uncle w. advanced Alzheimers. No upkeep for 10+ years. The utility bills are way too high, and I have to figure out what needs insulation/sealing.

And the big plus is that I will indeed finally be able to see just how hot the drip pan gets under a rack of ribs.
  • nolaegghead
    Because of varying material emissivity, they're best at looking at relative temperatures.   But you can dial in an emissivity coefficient and get a pretty accurate temp.
    I'm not familiar with these at all but does anyone know how this compares to the one built into the cat s60 phone?
    It is the same company, similar specs and tech.
    Because of varying material emissivity, they're best at looking at relative temperatures.   But you can dial in an emissivity coefficient and get a pretty accurate temp.
    thats pretty much what i use the old temp reading guns for, its way off with shiny stainless but i can find temp drops etc.   doing a repair in a big high pressure boiler right now, 4th time doing it, they are dumping cold feed water in and it keeps cracking in the shell plate, my cheap gun shows the temps where the cracks spread out. keep telling them they need to temper and limit the feed water but they dont want to fix the problem, they just want to make it go. pretty sure someone loses a job when i cant fix it anymore. probably should up date the temp reader like yours, might be able to make them understand why it keeps cracking with a better visual. when it goes down the whole plant goes down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Flir makes a camera that plugs into your iphone too
    Pratt, KS
  • nolaegghead
    Got it!  It is an awesome piece of tech. 

I'm trying to figure out how to save the images where I can post them without doing a screenshot. 

I'd be stunned if the app doesn't have a save feature somewhere.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk