Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Anyone have a Flir One Pro?

nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,661
I just ordered one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11517/flir-one-pro-review

http://www.flir.com/flirone/pro/

I have an HVAC problem that I think this can help diagnose and it seems like a great tool to evaluate the temperature gradients in a grill, oven, pan, griddle, etc.

Comments

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,416
    edited July 2017
    I have the E6, love it all there products are great so you won't be disappointed 
    Visalia, Ca
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,047
    We have a couple of Flir products.  They're great for chillers, MDP breakers, RTUs, ducting, Lieberts, refrigeration etc etc
    As @lkapigian you won't be disappointed. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,357
    Now that is a nice toy - kinda like X-Ray glasses......any nice neighbours around?
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 17,047
    Now that is a nice toy - kinda like X-Ray glasses......any nice neighbours around?
    It'll only show where their hot spots are. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,416
    And Moisture
    Visalia, Ca
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,357
    lkapigian said:
    And Moisture
    And from what I remember, hot and wet are good, in some things....
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,146
    I bought a Seek Reveal  a year  and a half ago.

These thermal imager things are really good at highlighting drafts around doors/windows/outlets/etc. and you don't have to worry about emissivity settings in order to get a more accurate temp reading.

Gratuitous cast iron griddle on my KJ Jr. pix:

Camped out in the (757/804)
  • BotchBotch Posts: 6,600
    I just bought a laser pointer/thermal thingie, and then you guys do this.  :angry:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,693
    I really want a FLIR scope to mount on a rifle. Would come in real handy taking out feral hogs at night. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 1,409
    I have the seek. Works great for seeing insulation issues at work. I am an hvac sales guy.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• LegumeLegume Posts: 8,440
    Can this be used to tell if the handle on a CI pan is hot?
    Austin, TX
  • BotchBotch Posts: 6,600
    Legume said:
    :lol:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 9,019
    Legume said:
    That is what your significant other is for.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 6,017
    I just ordered one.

Well, you pushed me over the edge. I sent them an e-mail 2 days ago, and they said it would work w. my iPad. I inherited a house from an uncle w. advanced Alzheimers. No upkeep for 10+ years. The utility bills are way too high, and I have to figure out what needs insulation/sealing.

And the big plus is that I will indeed finally be able to see just how hot the drip pan gets under a rack of ribs.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,661
    Because of varying material emissivity, they're best at looking at relative temperatures.   But you can dial in an emissivity coefficient and get a pretty accurate temp.

• I'm not familiar with these at all but does anyone know how this compares to the one built into the cat s60 phone?
    I'm not familiar with these at all but does anyone know how this compares to the one built into the cat s60 phone?
    It is the same company, similar specs and tech.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,320
    Because of varying material emissivity, they're best at looking at relative temperatures.   But you can dial in an emissivity coefficient and get a pretty accurate temp.
    thats pretty much what i use the old temp reading guns for, its way off with shiny stainless but i can find temp drops etc.   doing a repair in a big high pressure boiler right now, 4th time doing it, they are dumping cold feed water in and it keeps cracking in the shell plate, my cheap gun shows the temps where the cracks spread out. keep telling them they need to temper and limit the feed water but they dont want to fix the problem, they just want to make it go. pretty sure someone loses a job when i cant fix it anymore. probably should up date the temp reader like yours, might be able to make them understand why it keeps cracking with a better visual. when it goes down the whole plant goes down
  • MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 331
    Flir makes a camera that plugs into your iphone too
    Pratt, KS
    Got it!  It is an awesome piece of tech. 

I'm trying to figure out how to save the images where I can post them without doing a screenshot. 

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 5,146
    I'd be stunned if the app doesn't have a save feature somewhere.
    Camped out in the (757/804)