Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK , you guys win!

As a die hard weber kettle guy for 30 years, i will admit  i was always intrigued by the BGE ....but with a mortgage  and  a kid in college..... who ,then decided that he "had to" go to  law school ( yea i know, i failed , don't hate on me) ....   a BGE  was a lessor priority than miller lite vs. Pabst blue ribbon.  i stayed loyal to miller lite.
I have been following this site  for a long time now  .... primarily because i have champagne taste on a beer budget. .. AND because many of the posters here.... are some of the funniest SOB's .... i have EVER encountered. So many of you have GREAT wit and it is REALLY appreciated.!!
 After retiring and moving part time from Florida to the mountains of western North Carolina, i started getting serious about purchasing a BGE, and after proper fiduciary consideration , i recently i bought  a medium BGE in Athens Georgia. It grieved my soul to buy my egg at a place so near to the University of Georgia, but price overtook preference... and  my   strong affection for the University of Florida.
WOW, WOW and WOW , do i love my medium BGE. So much so that i have been daily  perusing ( for you Georgia  Bulldog graduates  that means "looking at" )  craigslist  for a minimax  to take to our florida home.

We just returned  this afternoon from a trip to Atlanta where i purchased a used (only twice) BGE minimax. Traffic in Atlanta ( even on a Sunday) sucks, but a recommended stop at the Buford Highway farmer market for meat and sausage for the BGE (plural) made the trip a good one.
Thanks to all of you regular posters for really great advice and even more great laughs! stay safe.

PS: my wife and i have had 3 english bulldogs over the years, the most recent a member of the Uga bloodline. Go Gators!

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
BGE  medium and minimax
HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome. This is a wonderful community. Things to stay away from: warranty questions, charcoal questions, and politics. Other then that ask anything on your mind. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very cool, welcome...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As you have sorted out, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Welcome to the forum, you're going to love your egg and all the great advice here especially once you've mastered low and slow grilling. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Welcome.  Can't wait to see your cooks
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Welcome aboard. You will be happy with both your eggs. But you need a bigger one :smiley:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Welcome! Can't wait to see some of your posts!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    edited July 2017
    tml1230 said:
    As a die hard weber kettle guy for 30 years, i will admit  i was always intrigued by the BGE ....but with a mortgage  and  a kid in college..... who ,then decided that he "had to" go to  law school ( yea i know, i failed , don't hate on me) ....   a BGE  was a lessor priority than miller lite vs. Pabst blue ribbon.  i stayed loyal to miller lite.
    I have been following this site  for a long time now  .... primarily because i have champagne taste on a beer budget. .. AND because many of the posters here.... are some of the funniest SOB's .... i have EVER encountered. So many of you have GREAT wit and it is REALLY appreciated.!!
     After retiring and moving part time from Florida to the mountains of western North Carolina, i started getting serious about purchasing a BGE, and after proper fiduciary consideration , i recently i bought  a medium BGE in Athens Georgia. It grieved my soul to buy my egg at a place so near to the University of Georgia, but price overtook preference... and  my   strong affection for the University of Florida.
    WOW, WOW and WOW , do i love my medium BGE. So much so that i have been daily  perusing ( for you Georgia  Bulldog graduates  that means "looking at" )  craigslist  for a minimax  to take to our florida home.

We just returned  this afternoon from a trip to Atlanta where i purchased a used (only twice) BGE minimax. Traffic in Atlanta ( even on a Sunday) sucks, but a recommended stop at the Buford Highway farmer market for meat and sausage for the BGE (plural) made the trip a good one.
    Thanks to all of you regular posters for really great advice and even more great laughs! stay safe.

PS: my wife and i have had 3 english bulldogs over the years, the most recent a member of the Uga bloodline. Go Gators!

AWESOME.. and yes. welcome.. I just got mine about 2 months ago, and haven't looked back.. if your in the Atlanta area.. go to ROSWELL HARDWARE.. I think it's an ACE.. I don't know what a mini-max or other sizes cost, but I got a:
    LARGE EGG
    NEST
    PLATE SETTER
    ASH TOOL
    GRILL GRIPPER
    DAMPER TOP 
    20 LB BAG CHARCOAL

all for $799, and they load it in the car for you.

They have an unbelievable selection of rubs and "Eggcessories"...  (They'll get ya on the the accessories, but they also give you 15% coupon for other stuff)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Sweet lawn mower. Where in WNC??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    g8golfer said:
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome. This is a wonderful community. Things to stay away from: warranty questions, charcoal questions, and politics. Other then that ask anything on your mind. 
    You forgot one, what size egg questions. But he already bought the right size for everyone, it's a medium, so that's been settled. 

welcome to the club tml1230
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Welcome!
    Madison, AL
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Go gators!!
    O-Town, FL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Welcome aboard - and go Seminoles!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Let us turn your attention, now, to suisse vide.
    Dude, it never ends. The best accessory you can now own is a BFW. (BIG FAT WALLET)
    You will see it morph to a TEW. (Thin empty wallet) It is a no charge service from the BGE.
    Welcome to the Machine.
    I strongly detest the Gators.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Welcome... bring it on brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hmmm this sounds a lot like a Dawg still in the closet. Come on out! It's never too late. Welcome to the forum. 
    Snellville, GA

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Welcome and enjoy"
    McKinney, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    The medium is a  probably pissed egging monster. Egg on and welcome 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Welcome and good luck! I'm not sure which of the "Great" minds on here said it but, the cheapest purchase is the egg. Enjoy the ride.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Congrats, and great choice.  The medium is a great egg!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Welcome to the forum.  Great group here.  Maybe ease into the Friday night threads...  
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome aboard.  Anyone in the Atlanta area is missing out if they don't get to Buford Hwy Farmers market regularly.  It's best during the week.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    bgebrent said:
    Welcome aboard.  Anyone in the Atlanta area is missing out if they don't get to Buford Hwy Farmers market regularly.  It's best during the week.
    For BGE stuff?  I haven't been there in years.. used to live in Chamblee..  but would be willing to make the trip if so..let me know!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    tml1230 said:
    ... WOW, WOW and WOW , do i love my medium BGE...
    I love my Medium, too!  I have a Medium and a Large, and it's the Medium I cook in by far the most.  It's just perfect most of the time, and I love it.

Congratulations, and welcome to the madness!  :)
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Welcome! Always great to have another Gator on board. Enjoy the EGGSPERIENCE and this forum. Can say that everything I learned about the BGE I learned here from some great folks with a load of experience.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Oh Lord. Another Tebow fanatic....

Just kidding. Kinda. 

Welcome and looking forward to seeing some cooks. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • I've said it before - after owning the Medium, Large and Mini Max, my conclusion is that the Medium is in the sweet spot of performance within the BGE lineup. Quick to get to temp, small enough to move around without too much grief, conservative with lump and large enough capacity to handle bigger cooks. I do not regret my decision to replace the Med with the Large and MM, but there are certainly days where I miss it profoundly. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Congrats on the eggs and welcome! Good stuff here.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to some of your cooks.  BTW, I have a '74 110. Still use it to till the garden. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle